What's The Best Hollow Point For A Smith & Wesson SW9VE?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by the_hustleman, Feb 8, 2011.

1. the_hustleman

the_hustleman New Member

I want some hollow points for this particular gun, what will work w/o excessive jamming?

Also, what's the cheapest, most acceptable non-jamming ammo for target practice for the same gun?

my apologies if it's in the wrong section!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

For defensive use, CCI/Speer Gold Dot 124 grain Gold Dot Hollow points.

For practice, what ever WalMart has on sale/in stock 115 grain FMJ.

Both should function flawlessly !

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Every gun is different. It may love Speer gold dots but hate winchester Ranger SXT.

You should but a box of each you want to look at and try them out.

I went through 4 boxes of high end stuff picked the best accuracy for me. Speer 185gr God dot in 45acp....

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I only carry with Winchester Ranger ammo in all my weapons. I have not tried the Gold Dot self defense rounds for accuracy, but I know they expand like a mutha as well.

Either one would be fine as a self defense round. Being a 9mm, I would lean more towards a heavier round. 135grain, 147 grain, something like that. I load 135's or 147's in my gal's carry pistol. I make her practice with her self defense rounds, as she isn't as dilligent about dry fire and things of that nature, so whatever we have left over in those two weights are what she carries.

As for range ammo, buy whatever is cheap. The cheaper the better, to be honest. If you find that one brand is guming up your weapon and you are getting Failure to Feeds, that might tell you something about the weapon that needs to be addressed. ;)

JD

5. freefall

freefall New Member

Yes, there is no way to find out what ammo your gun likes on the internet. Buy a box of what you think you would like to use and shoot it up. If it works well do it again. Don't just buy a box of something some mall ninja tells you is great, load up your gun and go whistling down the street.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I like Winchester Rangers, 124-127gr variety. They're as good as anything else out there and you can really get the cost per round down in the 50rd boxes (many defense options come in 20-25rd boxes and cost $1+ per round). You shouldn't have any feed issues, but you have to run a few mags of it through your gun to be certain. This ammo is abundantly available online for about $30/box.

For range use you needn't be picky and Walmart is a good resource. Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box...anything cheap, reliable, and brass cased. I like the WWB for most of my handgun plinking because they really pack their 100rd boxes tight...meaning they occupy less space in storage or transport. Range 9mm should run you $9-13 per 50.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The SW 9VE should work with almost anything you feed it. I prefer the Gold Dots from Speer. My 9V is stoked with the 124 gr +P Gold Dots.

8. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

speer gold dot 124 grain.

9. Reuben_Mishler

Reuben_Mishler New Member

My vote is for the Winchester SXT 9mm ammo.

SXT, (Same Xact Thing) It's a mock up of the famous Black Talon, just different title.

Attached Files:

10. the_hustleman

the_hustleman New Member

everyone keeps telling me to buy my ammo from wal-mart and keep saying wal-mart sells ammo but I've worked at a wal-mart and have visited several here in the Atlanta area and have yet to run into one that sells ammo.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I used to buy ammo all the time at the Walmart's in Marietta & Smyrna when I lived up that way. For defensive ammo I generally buy online or at my LGS...

12. wheelman

wheelman New Member

Just picked up my first SW9VE in 9mm used for $199 can't wait to finalizing the registration process so I can legally shoot it.. Hunter Sports gave me a few boxes of FEDERAL Target Rounds and Hollwpoint defense ammo, will see how each shoots. had to order extra 10 round mags as only came with one 8 round magazine .

13. wheelman

wheelman New Member

They don't in New York either most retail department stores No longer deal in anything firearm related .... Everyone got Conservative and afraid of everything and liability .

14. wheelman

wheelman New Member

I used Winchester 9mm Subsonic 147 grain jacketed controlled expansion Law enforcement ammunition . Liked the way it shot, very consistent accuracy and packed a punch