Whats the best/dependable drum for the AK ?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by louieboots, Dec 2, 2012.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Looking to buy a 75 rd drum for my AK.. What's the best one to get? I'm looking at a Romanian top loading drum..

2. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I would try to find a Chinese if you could, expect to pay 75-100$ now though. They seem to work best in my experience.

3. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Chinese!? Really.. Where can I find one for that price? They all run about 125$ and up..

4. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

The guy at my LGS gets em in every now an then an sells em for 100. Not sure about online, I don't buy online so I don't look so could be more.
    All the same if your trying to find high quality drums i would spend the extra an get chinese or russian

5. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thank you!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

The korean ones work. Ive got one and it seems to work fine. Just dont wipe the innards down removing the grease from whatever you get they need it to run. Skip any top loaders they are junk.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Chinese are hard to find. Next best thing for me, as I had bought one and love it, is a Romanian 75 rd drum, as they are made in the Chinese format.

8. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

9. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I have a Russian surplus top-loader for my Saiga and it has worked without issues. It was used when I bought it, picked it up from the post office on my way to SRA practice, didn't clean it, just loaded it up with 75 rounds and started running the practice session with it and didn't have any hiccups. It's a PIA to load, but it's built like a tank and I'm happy with it so far.

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

"clean it" I didn't know I had to clean it, how do I do that?:eek:
    I'm used to using the new front loaders I never had to clean one.

11. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Being russian surplus, it was well used and had some wear on it so I thought it would've been wise to take it apart and clean it but as it turned out, it didn't need any cleaning :)

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I've had my 75rd Chinese drum for over 25 years and never had a problem with it. I know 2 others who have had there's a long time as well and never heard of any complaints. I can't say I use it a lot. As a matter of fact I haven't used it for several years, but have put it through it's paces a number of times in the past and it functioned perfectly. I've been told over the years that the 100rd drums aren't dependable, but never used one.