What's the best 1911 for under $1000

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SicilianHitman13, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SicilianHitman13

SicilianHitman13 New Member

I already own a Sig Sauer scorpion 1911 and love it.. now looking to get my 2nd 1911. I like all the bells and whistles...must be full size and stainless.I have $1000 to spend. The one i'm really considering is a Kimber sts target 2..l have shot it and love it. but before I buy I would like some input..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I have the Remington 1911 RI with stainless steel upper and walnut grips, it went for 900 or so. But i am very pleased with its accuracy and handling of the pistol.

3. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Right now Palmetto State Armory has ridiculous deals on 1911 s don't know nothing about them though. like $400

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I like the Ruger SR 1911. Rock Island Armory gets great reviews. They only run about 4-5 hundred. Plenty of $$$ left for ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. SicilianHitman13

I haven't heard of Palmetto state armory but I'll look them up...The R1 is the other one I was considering but it's more of a old school plain Jane type of 1911....I like the more modern tactical type

6. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Palmetto State Armory is a great outfit to do business with a lot of great deals a lot of us members go there.
    There was a rumor that they were going to start building their own 1911 s in house. they got an old employee from a reputable builder. Can't remember the exact details on that transaction but I do remember reading that on one of the forms I visit.
    If you've never check that website out that is a must

7. Budasac

Budasac New Member

I have the Ruger SR1911 and just picked up the Kimber Custom Target II. They are both very nice pistols. The Kimber is very tight in comparison but they both shoot well. For the price the Ruger can't be beat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have three 45 ACP 1911s, Colt, RI, Tisa,

Colt and Rock Island are outstanding.

But if I was in your place, with $1000, I would go Springfield Range Officer.
    Fantastic gun and ready for competition shooting right out of the box.

$738 at Buds.

9. SicilianHitman13

A friend of mine has a springfield range officer... I haven't even seen it yet... but he swears by it.. I just didn't think it was in my price range...I'm Going to have look it up..

10. Budasac

Budasac New Member

The Range Officer is Springfield's entry level target gun. It's on par with the Sig Target and the Kimber Custom Target. Just a matter if which brand you like. I was originally leaning towards a Sig based on reviews but felt a little funny buying a 1911 from a German company. They are very nice though.

11. SicilianHitman13

What ever I get next it will be American

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ruger sr1911.. great pistol. outstanding trigger, shoots accurate.. and for a reasonable 700 or so.

13. k9guy

k9guy New Member

Para ord expert carry ot expert commander i own both 700 range no problems put 1000 rds the day i got them no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Best for who and by what standard? Truth be told, the odds of getting a crappy 1911 are fairly slim any more. It comes down to which one pushes your buttons.
    I will confess to not being in the Kimber fan club due to their ridiculously short warranty and their reputation for hit or miss customer service. Even at that, the odds are that you'd probably be happy with your Kimber.
    Find the one you like and can afford and enjoy it.
    Forced to offer a recommendation I'd tell you to have a look at the Springfield Armory line up. A lot of choices, in most price ranges, and IMHO, lots of value for your money.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with Overkill on this. what appeals to me might be different to what appeals to you.

my thoughts on Kimber? they make some very nice looking 1911's without a doubt. with only a one year warranty though and the price of them new, i would never buy a new one. many people have excellent luck with their Kimbers, but some do seem to have some problems and have to deal with crappy service to get the problems rectified. i'd rather deal with a company with a better track record as far as customer service if i ever did have a problem. not to say i'd never buy a Kimber, just never a new one. i would buy one used if the price was right knowing if it did have problems that it would be up to me to correct them.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you really want a tactical model, that is American made, my recommendation is to save longer. Dan Wesson (CZ owned but their 1911s are indeed made in the US) or get a Springfield TRP out of their custom shop. It'll be over your 1000 dollar budget but solid built pistols with good warranties.

Otherwise go for the Ruger if you want a cheaper US made pistol. Still built in the US but at a better price. They can keep the prices lower because Ruger does a lot of metal casting and metal injection molding, so they keep parts in house.
    It may not have the forged parts if some of the other guns, but Ruger is known for their high quality castings.

17. SicilianHitman13

This is what I wanted input...1st thing I didn't know about the kimber Warranty.so now I have to reconsider. I have had an issue with a firearm (Smith and Wesson) 2 years after it was purchased and they fix it so I feel the warranty issue is important...thanks everyone and I just picked up a para ordnance catalog I haven't shot one but the expert dose have everything I'm looking for

18. SicilianHitman13

Para catalog

Attached Files:

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Sniff, you mean mine is not tacticool?

Honestly, still thinking about the Rem R1 quality, but so far, customer service is spectacular.

Attached Files:

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am very pleased with my Remington R1 Enhanced. very accurate with my reloads and is very pleasing to look at as well.

Attached Files: