Firearms Talk banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is TRUE above.... If ya hunt areas like I do... Not out in the boondocks high woods area where Deer not customed to sounds, scents etc..... If ya hunt Deer where I do and it is silent, no smells of smoke, cars, people working etc.... They KNOW something is up LOL...
I have found that deer are not alarmed to the smell of smoke too much. I have shot them with a cigarette burning, and they were less than 30 yards away. They might think it is a smelly truck.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I have found that deer are not alarmed to the smell of smoke too much. I have shot them with a cigarette burning, and they were less than 30 yards away. They might think it is a smelly truck.
I was told once that deer are attracted to the smell of pot smoke- never tested it, but it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've always been very interested in hunting, but rarely had the opportunities until now that I'm an adult. Some of y'all may have seen me talking about it over on the semi-auto forum, big thanks to everyone cause I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

I'm getting ready, probably in the upcoming deer season, to start out and try and bag me something. I've done my research, but knowledge and experience are two different things I've learned. I ain't got the experience, but I figure y'all do. What would you tell a new hunter (mainly for deer) that you think would help him on his first major hunt?
If you shoot a deer, and it runs off, just sit in your stand for a while, do not go chasing after it for at least 30 minutes. Try concentrate where it was it was shot, then go down and look for blood and hair.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you hit a deer good and it starts running in the direction of the truck don't shoot again

Don't be the only person to wear a game vest if you're hunting in a group, you'll end up being the mule who carries all the critters.

Check the straps on your stand regularly

Keep a knife sharpener in your hunting jacket and don't cheap out on a knife, especially deboning and butchering knives

Buy good hunting clothes like the stuff made by First Lite, its expensive but you won't be cold

I like to read while I hunt, and if you do too, check your surroundings after every page or so.

Learn to process all of your meat, caveman could do it with rocks. People who don't are just lazy.

Deer meat cooks much faster than beef, don't overcook it

If you should hit a deer too far back, wait a couple hours before you go after it.

Pack water, even if you're just sitting all day.

Yea ya don't want gut shot Deer or to far back with a firearm... But at end of season here the firearms are put away and we get a week of Bow left.. Not to sound like a poor sport hunter LOL... But we would go in to city limits, drive Deer out to a funnel point with Bows to legal area.... I made a few bad hits in my day with Bows and running Deer timing... Hit two different ones in Butt, Drop them in couple yrds. There is the main Artery runs down the hind quarter butt side... They empty out FAST... Like a Heart shot arrow.

Reactions: kfox75 and Maineiak

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yea ya don't want gut shot Deer or to far back with a firearm... But at end of season here the firearms are put away and we get a week of Bow left.. Not to sound like a poor sport hunter LOL... But we would go in to city limits, drive Deer out to a funnel point with Bows to legal area.... I made a few bad hits in my day with Bows and running Deer timing... Hit two different ones in Butt, Drop them in couple yrds. There is the main Artery runs down the hind quarter butt side... They empty out FAST... Like a Heart shot arrow.
Ever heard of the Texas heart shot? Right through the *** hole

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was told once that deer are attracted to the smell of pot smoke- never tested it, but it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me.
This a bit SICK... But trust me LOL... During rut, and Bow season I use to use a girlfriends USED pantie liner.. Better cheaper than Doe pee !!! With correct time LOL...

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
This a bit SICK... But trust me LOL... During rut, and Bow season I use to use a girlfriends USED pantie liner.. Better cheaper than Doe pee !!! With correct time LOL...
Another thing that a lot of people didn't know, is that anny urine can be used as a sent, the deer does not know its human.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If we could bait up here, pumpkins would be excellent;)
If you could bait here in NYS more new hunters could have time to judge the deer size etc... They see those long legs on first year deer and Deer looks big... etc... Plus with Bear hunters you could see judge size etc to shoot or not...

41 - 60 of 95 Posts