Whats new in the AR world?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Americaneagle, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Americaneagle

Americaneagle New Member

Ok, so it's been a while since I wanted to own an AR and so much has changed over the past 8 years. I just want to know what people think is the best bang for the buck in the AR world.

Basically I want a heavy barrel, longer than 16 inches. Gas piston that is sight ready. I don't like a lot of tacticool stuff. Eotech and magnifier is all I need. Possibly a forgrip, what's the one that's ergonomic shaped to your hand?

Thanks guys

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Better question is what's NOT new in the AR world!

Sorry, can't help you though when you say piston and AR. No doubt you'll get plenty of opinions soon.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Caliber? Application?

You mention longer than a 16" heavy barrel, but you want to run an EoTech with a Magnifier?

Several gas piston options available, but I wouldn't say any of them are really a "bang for the buck" option because the gas piston is the watch word on every AR forum with people talking about AK reliability in an AR platform. Hence the price point is much higher than it really should be.

Happy to help if I can, just needing to narrow the choices.

JD

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Depending on what you use it for, a piston may or may not be what you want. A piston system will add moving parts, and add weight. Some are less reliable than others. They add about 300 to 400 bucks to the cost. Most of the drop in piston systems are as simple as changing the gas tube, a couple of others not so much so. Those require the skills to change the gas block, which may not be an easy feat, depending on your skill level. Just some things to consider.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

why a heavy barrel? Semi auto fire support?

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

When I was bumpfiring I used heavy barrels. They lasted longer. If the OP got a deal on a sh** ton of ammo, he may want to get one so he can play longer. I'm just sayin...

7. Americaneagle

Americaneagle New Member

Sorry for no reply, I use the iPhone app and it didnt update.

Heavy barrel for accuracy and I have eyed the Ruger sr223 in the past. But I don't remember it being gas piston