Whats My Next Gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by lallysm, Apr 21, 2012.

1. lallysm

lallysm New Member

I turn 21 soon and am debating between various guns to purchase as my next gun. By the way price is important. I want a nice weapon but things like a Barrett .50 are a little pricey for my age. :D

Current Wishlist:

Chinese SKS (heard they were fun to shoot)
    ***An accurate non-hunting (my family owns many hunting rifles) long range rifle for sport.
    CZ 75 SP01 Phantom
    Springfield XDm
    AR-15
    ***I have much less knowledge about scoped rifles so best guess might be a Remington 700 or some sort of .308 or .338 Lapua but scopes would probably put this out of my price range. A great rifle would be nice to have for some long distance shooting. For a long range rifle I would prefer one with a pistol grip instead of a butt stock grip.

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

You could also consider a Yugoslavian SKS. The CZ, XD, or 1911 would make a great auto. My fist choice would be a good 1911. As for the rifle, I'd be keen to know some insight on that as well. I know the Remington 700 is a great choice. Another good choice would be the Ruger HM77.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

If i were you... I will move that AR15 to the top of your list. Slowly hunt for the affordable parts n good quality like PSA. By the time goes n at the end.. you will be like Wow. Just my 2c.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just break down and get the 1911. You know you're going to get one someday, why wait?

Make it a Colt. ;)

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

OP, you should heed these words. For they are words of wisdom delivered from the breath of a 1911 God himself. :D

I need to stop praising you so much Cane. People will begin to have funny thoughts about me. :/

6. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Get the XDm. They are awesome!!

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Me too. :eek:

NOTE TO MEMBERS: Nothing to see here, just move on. NO bromance gossip here! Move on. :p

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Brown chicken brown cow!

9. lallysm

lallysm New Member

Thanks for the help so far everyone

I don't think I am going to get the AR-15 right away but I am interested where I should look for each piece as time goes by and what prices I should shoot for. I went into my local shop and found that I like the feel of the CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom and the XDm 9mm 5.25 Competition model plus they shoot nicely.

10. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I'm in the army national guard and we use the m4. Ive never shot an ar15 but i assume its very similar. I'm not a big fan if the 5.56 round honestly. Its too small. Id rather shoot 7.62 any day. And if an AR is anything like an m4, it gets dirty real quick

11. lucky510

lucky510 New Member

The m4 and the ar15 are pretty similar, as far as the chamber caliber you can get an ar upper chambered for anything from .22lr to .308 win to .50 Beowulf so 7.62 isn't a problem.. The type of ammo you run has a lot to do with with how dirty and how fast but a quality ar15 should still function even dirty

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

SemiAuto Rifle: AR15 is the way to go, and quite accurate for a few hundred yards. But an AR10 (308) has the potential to check two spots off your list, being very capable of "reaching out". Same with a Springfield M1A.

Bolt long-range: On a budget, Weatherby Vanguard is really tough to beat. And if you want to spend a bit more I sure like CZ and Browning bolt guns. 308 is a good way to go on a modest budget.

Pistol: Your mentioned choices are all good ones. I'd take the XDm over the CZ when it comes to polymer, but I love the steel-framed CZ 75b. Also hard to go wrong with a 1911, BHP, any alloy Sig, or a good 357mag revolver. These are all good launching points in my opinion, as are various polymer guns from Glock, S&W, FN, Ruger, etc.

13. lallysm

lallysm New Member

I think I've found my answer thanks for the help Im going to go with an XDm Comp 9mm