What's In Your Range Bag ?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RocketGuy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. RocketGuy

RocketGuy New Member

Just wondering.
    I'm a first time handgun owner, have a bag and besides my pistol and ammo,
    what do you bring to the range ?

Thanks,

Greg

2. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I,ve got with me right now, a Sig 226 in .40, S&W 622 plinker GP100 .357 and my 12inch .44 mag, and last but not least my Win. model 37 in 20 gauge for partridge season.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Eye and ear protection

Silicone gun cloth

Shop rag & an old T shirt

Assorted Bore Snakes

Chamber flags

Gerber Multi Tool

A small container of G96

Magazines & Ammunition for whatever I'm shooting that day

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cleaning gear, lube, solvent.
    Set of Chapman screwdrivers
    Staple gun/staples
    Lens cloth
    Folding set of allen wrenches
    An angled hemostat (for getting 22 cartridge case out of where it should not be)
    Needle nose pliers
    Gooseneck mini bore light
    Small spotting scope (9-30 power)

If shooting a Moisin-Nagant, a chunk of 2x4 to open the bolt.

Ammo gets carried in a cloth Claymore bag.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ear protection
    Load assist for my XDm
    RemOil wipes
    Staple gun
    Staples
    Multitool

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I always keep a couple/few extra sets of plugs..Never know when those come in handy. I have a few tools that might come in handy for any unforeseen circumstances. There's always a couple extra recoil springs for full size and commander length 1911's. Always a stopwatch...Many times we will get into some times drills where we use three targets and have six seconds to put two holes in each target in varying cycles. Always have several mags for whatever I might be shooting that day. Pasties to cover holes in targets.
    Gun lube, a stapler, Printed targets, soft cloths,shooting glasses. disposable lighter (in case my zippo mutinies on me), A note pad and pen.

I think that about covers it.:rolleyes:

..Oh..And as much ammo as I can squeeze in.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I pull my pistol out of the front of my pants in the truck after looking around in the parking lot, drop the mag, clear the chamber, lock the slide back and walk in with the full mag in my left pocket and an empty one in my right. I rarely shoot more than 100 rds in a session, so I clean at home.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

eye/ear prot., screw driver set, targets, small bag with 30" worth of 22cal cleaning rods, ammo containers, spotting scope if im shooting rifles, water/ice tea.

my guns are clean before i go. if something breaks ill fix it at home. i used to carry all sorts of crap that i really didnt need, i paired it down to only the things i have actually used a time or two and are lightweight non-bulk items.

9. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Eye and ear protection, a rag or two, a small screwdriver, ammo and the 9 mm, slide locked open. I will usually have the mags loaded in a pocket of the bag unless it is a range that wants them empty and to see them. I clean at home so I don't bring any of that equipment.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree with most and also carry a rod that will allow me to clear "squib" loads from the barrel. I also carry some spare parts and springs.

Add a stapler and extra staples. I also have extra eye/ear protection so I can "loan" to a shooter who may show up without it. Also, a pencil and a note pad (for when I talk to other shooters, I can write down telephone numbers and addresses).

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just carry my revolver loving wrapped in a pad that came with the range bag. A couple of soft towels, two pairs of eye protection (for a friend I may bring along), ear muff protection along with extra foam plugs, my speed loader and the ammo. So far I have only shot at indoor ranges. If I'm ever lucky enough to find an outdoor range, I may need to add some things to what I bring....................like a watermelon or a pumpkin. :D

12. hnealg

hnealg New Member

Sometime too much stuff...

If go to indoor range-hearing and eye protection, small tool kit (screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, pliers, etc.), cleaning rod (for squibs, etc.), appropriate mags, ammo, first aid kit.

If I go to 100 yd outdoor range, add: spotting scope, target frame (with spare parts), targets, stapler, tape, bench rest/sand bags, a few more tools--and, oh yeah. a cart to carry it all in.

I always carry knife, notepad, pen, etc.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Bag 1: 55# of sand bags and Hunter Orange vest.

Bag 2: Ammo, eyes, ears, flat heads screwdriver, Philips screwdriver, all in one allen wrench set, Staple gun, staples, target dots, spotting scope, stand, chronograph, sun block, mags if needed, and various other stuff as needed.

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

The only thing I will add is that for an outdoor range where I do most of my shooting, I make sure I have something to put under the guns and over them. The tables they have are pretty rough, so I either put a gun rug under each gun or bring a rubber dish mat. And during the hot months (which in Florida is most of them) I bring a couple of light-colored dish towels to put over them when not shooting so they don't scorch my hands when I pick them up.

Many of the things listed, including what I mentioned above, are dependent on the individual range. For instance, a number of people mentioned a staple gun. At the outdoor range I mentioned above, you have to provide your own means of affixing targets to the cardboard provided by the range. But at an indoor range where I also shoot, staple guns are provided. If you shoot at an outdoor range with a covered firing line, the dish towels I mentioned above would be unnecessary. So take all these recommendations with a grain of salt. Some of them will be appropriate for you, and others won't.