What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Shihan, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I fully understand this will be very subjective. There may be people who have had very good experiences with all different brands. I don't want or intend to cause arguments, let's just have a civil discussion.

Who to avoid? Who to look at? And the not so bads?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a couple of leupold scopes some i like one i am highly disapointed in.

VX7 very rugged survived the ATV experience two years ago bouncig around and vibration same with the mark4 m1. my mk4 cqt performed very poorly and couldnt take the atv abuse.

also got a leupold rimfire for my 10/22 it is a superb rimfire scope.

my two nikon's also lost zero bouncing around on the atv one was an african monarch the other a plain monarch.

my colt 4x scope also failed o hold zero on the atv but im not surprised on that one. they are more collector pieces nowadays.

next deer season im getting a nightforce for my 458 socom. lesss someone at some point posts about a better scope.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Here's how I would rate the brands I currently own:

1. Zeiss
    2. Leupold
    3. Meopta
    4. Nikon
    5. Weaver
    6. Bushnell
    7. Vortex

But 5, 6, and 7 could be practically interchangeable.

I also have an Aimpoint and an EoTech and I would definitely give the Aimpoint the edge.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

5. Shihan

Let's say an AR in .458 SOCOM or .450 Bushmaster to hunt Boar.

Then...

Let's say an AR in 300 AAC BLK to hunt Boar.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Unfortunately I am no help to you as I still have not settled on a scope for my 458. I think Cane has a Bushnell on his, maybe he'll chime in. For mine I wasn't thinking beyond 200yds max so that probably opens up the filed to a whole lot more affordable scopes.

7. Shihan

Just getting a feel. I was thinking 250 yards at most.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Low power for close in hunting. If only going for a couple hundred yards I'd do an Aimpoint. But a low powered variable is nice, too. Leupold has had a few over the years. 1-4, 1.5-5 and a nifty 1.5-6.

The IOR Pitbul 1:4x32 QR-TS PITBULL 35mm Tactical Compact Scope Illuminated CQB Reticule or one of these, QR-TS 3x25 30mm Tactical Compact Scope Illuminated CQB reticule are pretty groovy, too.

Lots of choices, but I'd stick with high quality.

How many yards are you anticipating using it for?

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The IOR Pitbul goes from a true 1x to a 4x with a twist. It rocks on ARs. Perfect for 250.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I will end up living on the street if I keep reading your posts on equipment :eek:

11. Shihan

Anything for those of us that have a budget not equal to that of a small country.:eek:

How about in the $500 or less area?

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

One of the Leupolds. You can probably get one on ebarf for a decent price. Leupold will warranty it forever. Watch for fakes if new. And no Sellers from China.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I just checked ebarf and there are tons of 1-4s for great prices.