What's going on?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by chickgun, Sep 8, 2011.

1. chickgun

chickgun New Member

What's your favorite gun? I want to know everyone's opinion and why they like that gun.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Chick- please remove the link in your profile. As has been explained to you, that violates your terms of use of the site.

3. chickgun

chickgun New Member

Alright. Sorry I didn't do it earlier. I didn't mean to break the rules.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No problem. We tossed a handful of spammers off the site yesterday- wanted to be sure that you were not one more.

My FAVORITE gun? Gee- I could not POSSIBLY hurt the feelings of my other guns by naming ONE favorite!

If I were to name a gun, would likely be one of a few- the 410 H&R shotgun given to me by my granddad the day I was born, the cheap Brazilian side by side 12 g that my lady bought me for our first wedding anniversary, or the little Remington 550-1 .22 rifle that my son, daughter, and granddaughter conspired to get me for father's day one year.

Not the most expensive, most powerful, or most accurate guns I have- but they are favorites.

So- what are YOUR favorites?

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Fourth one down from the top.

[​IMG]

Three uncles and my mom all learned how to shoot with that gun. A great uncle inlaid the mother of pearl in it in the 60s. First .22 I shot at about 8 years old and my grandfather left it to me when he died in '93. It will never leave the family and it is the first .22 I let my 10 year old son shoot last year. Don't shoot it much and it definately doesn't go hunting. It will be my oldest sons one day. Winchester 67 btw.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

M1911A1, an Ithaca carried from Normandy 1944 to Dachau 1945 by my father.

[​IMG]

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The Mossberg, 16 gauge, bolt action my dad gave me when I was 13.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Any 1911 platform based handgun.
    What I have been exposed to for most of my shooting career.

It still amazes me how it works, how it is admired and copied after all the years it has been produced.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Don't have anything great to swell up about.
    But am partial to two firearms of mine that
    go with me whenever I leave the house:
    (1) Smith & Wesson 457 and (2) Ruger LCP 380

Attached Files:

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My Sistema 1911.

[​IMG]

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Whatever I happen to be shooting at the moment. Unless it hurts my shoulder. :(

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My Medusa Model 47... Why? Its Canes fault, hes the one who told me theres about 500 made with only around 250 here in the states! :p

13. chickgun

chickgun New Member

Thanks for all the inputs. As to my favorite gun I can't say. I haven't really used any guns. That was going to be my next question. For first time with guns what should I look into. I don't want something to expensive, because I have no clue how much use it will get and I don't have lots of money. The only gun that I've ever used wasn't loaded and it was a replica of a civil was rifle. See I have like no experience with guns. I'll need to take a class.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I suggest you find a local shooting range that offers Handgun Safety classes. Attend it and you'll learn safety (duh) and learn the basics about handguns. That will give you a good introduction and give you enough basic knowledge to start doing your homework.

Please feel free to ask questions here. There are no dumb questions and you won't get teased. We're happy to help and we want you to be safe.

15. monet61

monet61 New Member

Favorite gun

This is mine. Best shooting 9mm ever.

Attached Files:

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I can't nail it down to one, but the one I would recommend starting out with would be a .22 rimfire. I like my .22/45 Ruger but I would also like to have a Single Six or the Single Ten, neither of which I own.

You didn't provide enough info as to where your interests lie. If you want a gun for concealed carry that may differ enormously from one's favorite gun to shoot at the range in many cases. If you want a rifle that is a different favorite (mine is a tie between the 1903 Springfield my (then future) father-in-law gave me and a more recently acquired M1 Garand. I would not recommend either of those to a "beginner". I would again go to the .22 rimfire.

As CA357 said, you need to start at the local gun range with some firearms safety instruction. Go to the NRA website and print the basic firearms safety rules. Live, learn and breathe them before moving any further.

I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum but I was brought up in a "No Guns, Never!" household. I bought my first gun at 17 or 18 (still have it, Marlin Model 60 .22 rimfire) and went up into the hills with a box of ammo with a buddy of mine to try it out. I didn't understand the concept of semi-auto versus bolt-action,(Hell, I didn't even know the terms) so I was confused as to why it went "BANG" when I pulled the trigger but when I pulled the bolt back there was an unfired round in the chamber. My buddy was just as ignorant as I was. Such ignorance could lead to a serious tragedy. I was fortunate that did not happen.

In a more recent situation (though still many years ago) I was showing a friend of mine one of my rifles and the new Volquartsen trigger group I had put on it. I pulled it out of the safe, made sure there was no magazine in it, pulled the bolt back to clear the chamber and handed it to him so he could feel the trigger pull. He aimed at the wall and fired a round through the wall and into the woods beyond. I made a critical mistake, I did not look into the chamber (barrel) to make sure there was not a round lodged in there (which there was). I later found out that some bullets can lodge themselves in the rifling of some barrels so the extractor does not always remove the unfired round when the action is cycled.

Above all, be safe. Get trained. Know your guns and what problems may occur. Never assume anything. And again, be safe.

17. chickgun

chickgun New Member

Guns and stories

Those all sound great. Now would you all tell me a little about guns. I know some, but not lots so go ahead and tell me anything. It you have any stories from when you started shooting those would be great to hear too.

Thanks for the info Vikingdad. I will remember it. I would be looking for a good gun to shoot on the range. I don't want to have a gun for concealed carry, at least not yet. I want to wait till I know more about what I'm dealing with first.

Also thanks CA357. Taking a gun safety class is a wonderful idea. I will look into that. I'm glad that you are willing to answer my questions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  18. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Well my favorite gun I own is my Arisaka Type 38 given to my by my grandfather. Here's the story behind the firearm.

My grandfather was a Navy Seabee stationed in Okinawa I believe prior to Japan's surrender. He and the rest of his company were tasked with guarding an ammunition depot that had been taken from the Japanese. One night while he was on patrol at the depot he spotted a Japanese soldier inside the depot. So he lied in wait to ambush the soldier behind several stacked crates. When the soldier passed him he then walked right behind him took his M1 Carbine and put it right behind the soldiers head and tapped the soldier on the shoulder. The soldier turned around dropped his Arisaka Type 38, and made a mess in his pants (according to my grandfather). Later he and his company were practicing landings to prepare for invading Japan when they got the word Japan surrendered after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki so their commanding officer said "Well the war's over, take what ya want from the depot". My grandfather being the only one with an Arisaka got to take all the ammunition he wanted, which was 2,400 rounds or so.

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

My Remington model 700 30-06 and my Crescent sxs 16 ga. :)

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remi 700 and SA 1911 GI Champion