Whats a good way to start?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 351mustang65, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

My friend just got a Smith & Wesson Sigma W40GVE and i would like to get a pistol to go shooting with him so what would be a good starter gun to get for $500 max?

Some guns i was thinking of a Ruger SR9 are a Glock 23 or 31 but I am open to any thing.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Another sigma? Xd, glock, taurus, kel tec, revolvers, all types of .22's, rugers, CZ's, etc...........

Rent different types, do some research, and try them out before you buy. Helps you make the best decision for YOU. We all have our bias and preferences. :rolleyes:

3. WDB

WDB New Member

Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That being said, and I am in total agreement; except, buy a nice .22 pistol. Semi-automatic or revolver. Buy what you think you will be purchasing as a range, self defense or carry gun with respect to operational characteristics.

The .22 offers a good opportunity to get into shooting without much expense and there is plenty of ammo.

I would recommend the Walther P22 semi-auto or the Ruger SBC4 Bearcat in a revolver.

Have Fun!!

5. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Your buddies gun is the best starter gun. Pop a few rounds through his and see what you think. As mentioned before, a lot of ranges have firearms that you can rent. Pick up a few different models and calibers and see what fits you best and then go from there. Keep in mind that most ranges will not let you use your ammo in a rented firearm. They require you to purchase the ammo from them at the time of rental.

6. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

I did get to shoot his gun and its a fun gun to shoot but its not as accurate as I would like and has a heavy trigger.

I got to hold the Ruger SR9 the same day and like the feel and look of it but did not get to shoot it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How accurate a gun is is mostly dependant on the shooter.

I believe the sigma should be able to do 3in groups at 15yards. You won't get much better out of a ruger.

Want good accuracy for the buck, go with CZ. :)

8. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

True but we had a Taurus 9mm and a 45 there and all 4 of us shoot better with the othere guns, plus the Sigma seemed to have more recoil then the 45 is that because its a polymer fram?

9. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I would look for a used S&W M&P in 9mm or a Glock 9mm. Cockroaches and Glock 9mm's will outlast everything else on this earth.

10. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Look at anything in the Ruger lineup.

Good luck in finding your first pistol. Take your time, and find something that you really like (don't concentrate too much on what other people say - listen to your gut).

11. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

A place by me has the OD green/black SR9 for $469 is that a good price?

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

13. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

Actually, I picked up my P85 at Bud's today. I'm actually lucky enough to have their store located in Lexington. They were also the most friendly store I've been in for a long time. Took the time listen to what I was looking for and even was willing to dicker a little bit over the price of a used gun. I can't recommend them enough.

14. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Well i went to the store that had the gun I wanted and it was sold :( but lucky me found it at a different place for $449 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I guess we'll be needin' a range report soon. :D

16. Stealie

Stealie New Member

Looks like a nice one, let us know how she handles.

17. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Well I would be glad to give you one but my family dose a fireworks stand every year and im the night man (thats was another reason for getting the sr9) so I will be to busy working for the next 3 weeks to do anything :(

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Just pop a few rounds off out back while people are shooting fireworks,lol.

(don't do that)

Make sure that thing gets a good cleaning before you load and go. Also, get some 9mm snap caps, run through the functions, and get a feel for the trigger.

I patiently await your range report. :)

19. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Ah, but you can get much better than 3" at 15 yards out of a SIG or CZ. My sig pro 2022 can easily do 2" at 25 yards ditto for my CZ 75B. The price for the sig pro is just about the same as the Rugers too; the CZ is slightly higher.

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Well, he's already got the sr9 and we all have our personal preferences.

I do so like the OD green though. :)

I'd like to see your 25yrd targets with 2" groups, that's pretty impressive.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009