What's a good "step up" gun?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Bluesman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

I've shot .22s and pellet guns and now I'm looking to get a larger caliber rifle that would be a step up in power from smallbores but not a rhino killer (I'd prefer not to relocate my shoulder after each shot). I'd basically just use it for target shooting and plinking and I want something that has a little more "oomph", is rugged, easy to maintain, and plentiful ammunition. Any reccomendations. If there are any shooters in California, I live near a Gun Exchange and a Big 5

2. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Well since you like .22s why don't you try out a .223 rifle like an AR-15, Kel-Tec SU-16, or Mini-14?

It's more umf and would be perfect for a .22 guy since if you have a boar snake or rods for a .22 then you could clean it with the same items.

If not that and you want something bigger.

I would go with an SKS or AK-47.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would say if you are looking for a rifle that is fun, kind of cheap & with lots of ammo there are several choices.

An AK shoots a 7.62 x 39mm round. They are pretty cheap, pretty plentiful and right now there is ammo all over for them, but you should plan on buying in bulk.

An AR-15 shoots 5.56 x 45mm round, closer in recoil to your .22lrs. Not real punishing at all, definitely an all day shooter. Lots of ammo available, even now, but again, plan on buying in bulk.

For a bolt action rifle there are a lot of great choices. A .223 chambered rifle would be a good choice. A .308 would be a good choice as well.

What do you want the weapon to do? What are your tastes and what are you thinking about getting?

JD

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I sent you a PM.

5. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

This will actually be the first gun that I've ever gotten and mostly I want something that I can plink with. The AR-15 is nice in terms of weight and accuracy, but I think I might look for a semiauto AK just because they are much simpler and need less cleaning. Plus, I've seen bananna clips on AR-15s and the like and I don't really like the way that they look.
    & btw, CA, I got your PM

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay.

So?

You are going for an AK afterall??

You should probably post a thread in the AK section asking about what is, and what is not, a good deal on Ak's.

I am afraid that is not an area of expertise for me...

JD

7. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

yeah. Unless, of course, the ATF decides to send some stormtroopers to my house for expressing interest in "destructive devices"

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Yea...

There will be a knock on your door within 30 hours. That SUV behind you on the way to work will not be me. Keep up with your daily activities like nothing is going on. It's better that way...:eek:

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

If you are in California, you may have a ton of trouble getting an AR / AK. I think California has banned those from civilian ownership. The following is a list of arms that have been declared "assault weapons" and are verboten in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. I don't see Mini-14 on the list, but there is probably another list somewhere that includes them as well. You have fewer rights than the rest of us. How does it feel?

I left California in 1980 during the reign of Governor Moonbeam and the Rose Bird Supreme Court. I could see this stuff coming down, and I was right.

Good luck.

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms: (a) All of the following specified rifles: (1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows: (A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S. (B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S. (C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47. (D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.

(2) UZI and Galil.
    (3) Beretta AR-70.
    (4) CETME Sporter.

(5) Colt AR-15 series.

(6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C.
    (7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
    (8) MAS 223.
    (9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1
    (10) The following MAC types: (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11. (B) SWD Incorporated M11.
    (11) SKS with detachable magazine.
    (12) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551.
    (13) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48.
    (14) Sterling MK-6.
    (15) Steyer AUG.
    (16) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S.
    (17) Armalite AR-180.
    (18) Bushmaster Assault Rifle.
    (19) Calico M-900.
    (20) J&R ENG M-68.
    (21) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

(b) All of the following specified pistols: (1) UZI. (2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45. (3) The following MAC types: (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11. (B) SWD Incorporated M-11. (C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11. (D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11. (4) Intratec TEC-9. (5) Sites Spectre. (6) Sterling MK-7. (7) Calico M-950. (8) Bushmaster Pistol. (c) All of the following specified shotguns: (1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12. (2) Striker 12. (3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12.
    (d) Any firearm declared by the court pursuant to Section 12276.5 to be an assault weapon that is specified as an assault weapon in a list promulgated pursuant to Section 12276.5.
    (e) The term "series" includes all other models that are only variations, with minor differences, of those models listed in subdivision (a), regardless of the manufacturer.
    (f) This section is declaratory of existing law, as amended, and a clarification of the law and the Legislature's intent which bans the weapons enumerated in this section, the weapons included in the list promulgated by the Attorney General pursuant to Section 12276.5, and any other models which are only variations of those weapons with minor differences, regardless of the manufacturer. The Legislature has defined assault weapons as the types, series, and models listed in this section because it was the most effective way to identify and restrict a specific class of semiautomatic weapons.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I live in Los Angeles CA. and built a 223 semi auto rifle. There are certain rules in CA that have to be followed. The build I did was on an AR platform, but I think the same can be done with the AK. Keep in mind the AK (7.62) has a lot more recoil then the AR (.223), and a lot more cost for the ammo. I’d suggest the AR for a first gun. I’ll post a pic to show a CA approved configuration. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Attached Files:

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I think the next step up from a regular .22 rifle is a .22 magnum rifle.They are cheap shooting,maybe 5-6 bucks a box of ammo,yet have at least 2x more power than a .22LR.I think that would be the best for just a little more umph

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I would cast a vote for a .308 Win. bolt gun. Recoil is not bad and gives you an effictive range of about 600 yards. Also good for targets out to this range and a little beyond with a relatively inexpensive scope. Can buy ammo on the low end for about $15.00 a box of 20. .223 ammo, however, can be had for around $9.00 a box of 20 (PMC brand) on the low end.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I am certainly nothing like an "expert", but i have really enjoyed my SKS rifle. That list made me tear up a bit, so i'm not sure if you can have one in Cali. I would think you could with a non-detachable magazine. The factory magazine (10 shot) in mine reloaded very quickly with stripper clips & was very satisfying to me. The ammunition for my SKS has gone back down in price & some of the Wolf brand stuff is about $5/20 round box now. Mounting a scope will require some minor gunsmith work, though; i don't recommend those receiver cover mounts. Mine is a fun plinker that i will try out on the deer this fall. I don't think you can have a bayonet on an SKS in Cali (not sure), but i haven't had to stab a target yet anyway. :)

Mine cost about $350 at a gunshow, i bleve.

15. Laufer

Laufer New Member

The Mini-14 is the most reliable semi-auto I've ever had, and it only used Wolf/S. Bear ammo and a (plastic), loose-fitting 30-rd. Promag.
    It never had any operating glitch. In contrast, I watched a buddy's WASR "AK" have a misfeed (or eject) after about 80 rounds.
    Having two Minis, only sold one to pay for a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine.

The SKS should cost a bit less than a Mini and is just as reliable.
    Combined with Wolf/Bear/Tiger etc 7.62x39 ammo, now much more available than last winter, the rifle/ammo combination is reportedly the best value .30 caliber, especially in a military semi-auto.

Mini 30, (Norinco) SKS, MN 44, LE #4, #5 and the fierce, devastating Savage .22:eek:.

16. Defender

Defender New Member

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Unfortunately the OP lives in Calif. and Panther / DPMS are on the ban list.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would say get something like an AR in 223. This is a good cartridge with not a lot of recoil. very accurate in any rifle. If you wanted a little bit more umph without a lot of felt recoil then look for one in 243 win. This is a great round and again very accurate. You can also use that cartridge to hunt deer with in CA. An ar in 243 would be a very good all around plinker, varmint, and deer rifle.

You the 243 is the bottom of the rung for deer but them liberal black tail (OOPS african american tail deer) in ca don't get very big.