What's a good starter barrel?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PeeceKeeper, Feb 16, 2012.

1. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Greetings forum!

This is my first post of what I believe will be many. I am just getting into the gun field with an AR-15. I pick up my lower this Saturday! For those that are curious, it's a(n) S&W M&P15 stripped lower.

Anyways, I'm unsure of where to find a barrel. There are so many out there! What brands are of decent quality for a starter? I don't want total garbage because I do plan on keeping this barrel for a while before I upgrade it again.

Here's what I know I want so far:

1. 20" Rifle barrel
    2. Threaded
    3. Front sight doesn't matter as I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket gas block. (I don't have a specific gas block in mind yet, so size [diameter] doesn't have a factor at this point)
    4. Looking for a reputable place; preferably a place where you guys/gals have done business with in the past.
    5. Obviously I'm looking into a budget barrel, I'm pretty sure I can't afford a match-barrel ;P lol

There's basically what I'm looking for. So if you can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

Thanks in advance!
    -PeeceKeeper

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

3. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Wow, that sounds tempting, but I was looking more for JUST the barrel. I'm trying to stay away from kits and going at this head on. A LPK is probably the only exception. But again, very nice post ;)

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Why mess around w/ a "starter barrel"? That is often a term given to something of lesser quality. There isn't much of if any real price difference b/w the 2. Check out White Oak Armament, Daniel Defense, PAS's FN barrels, BCM, Ranier Arms.

5. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Thanks MJ, and I agree with you. By saying "starter barrel" I was misleading. What I meant was a decent barrel for a decent price. I will look up those that you mentioned.

If anyone else has some input, feel free to join in =)

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't forget black hole weaponry's lineup........... :D

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

What kind of shooting are you anticipating? Slowfire on a rest? Offhand 400+ yards? Short range mag dumps? What kind of ammo are you thinking about using?
    What kind of ranges will you be shooting?

8. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

I'd like to go Mid to Long distance. That's all I know for sure. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking for something with a good price and I'm not jumping for top-notch right-away; I'm not sure exactly what I want just yet. To be honest, I'd prefer something <$250

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

you talking just barrel for $250 or complete upper ?

10. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Just barrel. A full upper for $250? I don't think so lol

11. jg3

jg3 New Member

Have a look a Wilson combat if you think stainless steel is the way you wanna go...that's what I'm getting :)

12. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Do you have a link to the barrel?

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly, I really think you'd be happier getting the best barrel you can afford.

For mid to long ranges, I think you would be best served 1x8 or 1x7 twist, .223 wylde chamber, NON chrome lined barrel.

Sound to me like this is going to be a slow fire, 400+ yard gun. Cheap out on everything but the barrel!

well maybe not the bolt and trigger, but yeah, you can cheap out on these too....

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Black Hole weaponry has match grade barrels in your price range. I think I remember 20" going for for $275 ish.....

15. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Yeah, I heard chromed wasn't that good for long-distance. I honestly dont have a problem cleaning it so it's not going to be a bother putting in an extra bit of time on the barrel-cleaning portion lol

I do have a question though, what's this "wylde chamber" I've read about?

16. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

YES! I saw it and thought it was perfect. But there was something about 6-12 WEEKS! I'm not too keen on waiting that long -__-

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

no pleasing some people sheesh :rolleyes:

18. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

In all honesty, that really is the perfect barrel. That's just a LONG time

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The Wylde chamber was originally designed for long distance shooters that wanted to use ultra long 90 gr bullets. It was later found that it supported both .223 and 5.56 pressures with tighter dimensions. Long story short, its a hybrid chamber that works with both .223 remington, 5.56 nato and shoots better too.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I jest. 20" isn't so popular anymore is why, If you wanted an 18" it'd be a lot easier to find.