whats a good red dot site for a shotty

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Im lpoking for a red dot sight with multiple reticles for diffrent rounds that can with stand the 12 gauge recoil. Iwith that being said i dont like sunoptics and herd bad things about truglow....anyone have a shotty red dot that goes wigh what im looking for

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not my area of expertise but I believe eotech makes shotgun sights.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The multiple reticle thing is kind of a gimicky thing that seems to be used on low end optics. I'd just go with a simple dot or an EOTech.

Aimpoint is of course going to be a top of the line and top price piece.

Bushnell makes a few decent optics that are more reasonably priced, and from what I've seen, pretty tough for the money. Their TRS-25 is one tha tI have run on an AR, an AK, and a Marlin .30-30. I have not tried it on a shotgun yet. The older Bushnell holosights are made by the same company that makes EOTechs and they are pretty tough. They don't have the same battry life as the EOTech, but the rest of the performance is the same.

If you could find an older Japanese made Tasco Propoint PDP-2 or PDP-3 on E-bay, they are also a simple and tough optic for the price.

Primary Arms and Vortex have good reputations for solid budget optics, but I have no personal experience with them other than range buddies who have them and have had no trouble from them.

4. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I have 2 simmons scopes right now for my shottys. One is a red dot and one is an actual scope with a diamond reticle. I would let them go if you are interested.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im using a vortex sparc on my saiga 12. Works awesome

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Well i have an eotech and an aimpoint. Im putting my eotech on my saiga 12 and the aimpoint on my ar. I was more looking at the lower end but not quite sure what would hold up to 12 gauge recoil

7. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Before I get into an answer I have to ask. Which type of shooting are you planning for this shotgun?

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Or may go with an eotech clone. Im looking to completely de,k out my 870 ans make it tact-i-cool. Black aces rhino rail, Phoenix kicklite, houge grips, pump with a rail so i can ad a fore grip and tge foregrip ans add some ak style iron sights with a shot shell sling....i think itll look badass

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

That's why i wanted the multi reticle so i can shoot diffrent alugs according to each reticle. Bird, buck, and slugs....this is just my fun gun but if i cant qualify with my saiga for competition then ill use it instead of my saig 12

10. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Well, shooting bird is completely different from shooting deer, or targets on a tac range. It has been my experience that I was less accurate with a reddot while hunting bird than with just the ball. Remember when doing that kind of shooting you don't exactly aim, you point and having a reddot makes you aim.

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I have never shot bird shot with a scope, same with buck. It seems silly to me to try and use a scope while swinging for birds.
    I have shot a Remington 870 with a red dot, with slugs, and saw no improvement in accuracy, as opposed to using my bead sight.
    If you want a really accurate slug gun, buy a rifled barrel for your shotgun. For bird shot and buck i think optics of any sort are unnecessary.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Probably very sound advice. The only advantage I would see is in low light. The swampy woods here get really dark even before full sunset. It could be useful on a hog hunt, or home defense. But the other 99.9% of the time a shotgun gets used, the bead works well.