What's a good rat bait ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Nov 14, 2017.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Last night , I could hear something clawing away at my cathedral ceiling . It's in a place I can't get to . Only about a six inch space between the inner dry wall and out side roof . I need something to draw him out , some poison bait .

What say yee....? What works good , something that will attract him . I'm not really into killing things except hunting but I just got a new roof two years ago , more than money , a whole lot of work ....took me me all summer by myself , dang !

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That might be a squirrel

dango likes this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

if it's a rat or mouse, peanut butter seems to work at attracting them.

and i agree with Mr. McCool. it could be a squirrel.

winds-of-change, 67stingray and dango like this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Active Member

Or
    Or a bat. Or Coon.
    A raw ear of corn will bring the squirrels, rats or coons.

Bats you just have to figure out where they got in the block them out when they leave at dark.

dango likes this.
  5. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

Peanuts in the shell, twist tied to the trigger. Natural rodent food, and they have to bear down to bite through the shell, setting off the trap.

Ghost1958, dango and 67stingray like this.
  6. dango

Before we vinyl sided the house , we had two vents in the upper exterior walls . We blocked them with the siding and installed roof vents with heavy duty screens to keep things out . I just cleaned my gutters a few days ago and check everything since I was up there . No apparent openings that I could see anywhere .

I'm thinking a rat or chipmunk because there are places under the house , crawl space one half and basement other half . I don't know what it is but it's doing major construction up there somewhere , a lot of noise going on ! This is civil war .....! Warning to all critters , (DON'T TREAD ON ME OR MY HOUSE) .....!

Caught many a mouse with peanut butter and old fashion spring loaded traps ..?
    Generally I'm live and let live . After getting Lymes disease , this is WAR ! Time for 12 gauge and bird shot , blow holes in my roof .....LOL , Arrrrugh.....!

MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

After I had two rats that kept getting in the house, I did a bit of reading & learned that all rodents have a sweet tooth. I set a trap on top of the fridge (where the rat got into my dog biscuits). I baited it with prune & double stick taped it to the fridge. Before I walked out of the kitchen, SNAP... it worked. I got the second rat with the same bait a few minutes later. The sticky prune ensures that the rat will have to bite harder on the bait tray, guaranteeing results. Banana also works. They seem to smell the sugar & it's irresistible.

dango likes this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

9. dango

Why heck , I'm going to have a full cornucopia before this is done , LOL....:D

MisterMcCool likes this.
  10. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Just as good. Any dehydrated works great. Dehydration concentrates the sugars & makes it irresistible.

dango likes this.
  11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One of the guys that works for me makes bait for rodent traps by putting roasted, salted peanuts, and raisins in ziplock freezer bags and pounding on them with a rubber hammer to make a chunky paste. He says they have the same likes we do in food: sugar, salt and fat. The peanut raisin paste hits all three.

I found out about it, when I got an email, because he bought “snacks” at the hardware store, and the auditors caught it.

dango and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

one i have heard several times years ago by different people. but i have no facts to support it's credibility, so accept it with a grain of salt, so to speak!

i have heard that you can put a saucer of Coke-Cola, and they are attracted to it, and drink it. and that because rats or mice can't belch, it kills them.

i don't know if it's true or not, and i have never tried it. but maybe someone else has heard it, or knows more than i do about it.

dango likes this.
  13. dango

You got me convinced , Coke-Cola kills alright .....:D

Dallas53 likes this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I put out de-con in my barn. It works well.

Fred_G and dango like this.
  15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

We have caught 5 mice in our house in the last two weeks.

dango likes this.
  16. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago i bought a hog from a hog farm in southern MD for a pit in the ground thing.

Commented to the owner: "Bet you have a big problem with rats". His answer: "Have not seen a rat here for years. We mix 2/3 cornmeal and 1/3 plaster of paris and set it out. That's what the old plantation owner here used and it works well for us."

dango likes this.
  17. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

In a barn.

In a house, they find someplace safe to curl up and die, and you live with the smell and the flies

winds-of-change and dango like this.
  18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I take a 5 gallon bucket, put a strip of duct tape across the middle. Then I place a paper towel roll (just the tube) so it rests over the tape, with peanut butter in the end. I lean a 2x4 up against the bucket. The rat/mouse climbs the 2x4, crawls down the tube, which becomes unbalanced and topples into the bucket, with him inside. It's always worked for me.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

So I guess they die of acute constipation?

winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Some got in the RV and I used peanut butter on the traps to catch the ones that got in. If you have a place you know they are getting in peppermint oil on cotton balls will repel them. Used it on the RV and did not get anymore. Wired some decon cubes under the hood of the truck when some got in there.