What's a good powder for defensive 410 loads?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 5kwkdw3, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 5kwkdw3

5kwkdw3 New Member

As the title implies, I'm ever so closer to sneaking up on my defensive 410 load but I need to find a forgiving 410 powder that would allow Lee scooping to dish out the powder. I really don't want to mess with scales and tricklers and the like. Just think, even some of the most expensive shotgun loaders use bushings or volume-metric measured powder so scooping is not too far out of the question.

Here's my load thus far:

MagTech brass .410 hulls

CCI 300 large pistol primers

Ballistic Products Stretch 410 wads

Ballistic Products Mini Nitro over load card wads

Hand Cast Lee 4 pellets of #000 buckshot

Lee sized to .339 from .360 round balls

Reason for all of this is that I'm most familiar with brass hull loading from my days in SASS. I also have most all of the equipment save a metallic cartridge die that would allow me to put a slight roll crimp on the brass? (any help?). By going to the Lee #000 buck, I can get a six pour, 18 cavity mold. The sizing will clean up the sprues and sort of turn them into a flat based oblong bullet that will fit perfectly between the selected hull and wad. And yes I plan on having the pellets keyhole at 15 or so downrange. Should be a devastating load. Not looking to knock me on my rear with this load, but the pellets don't really need to be going that fast in a house distance well patterned load. So not counting the wad or over shot nitro card, the pellets at 68 grains a piece would be 272 grains for four of them. Sounds like a lot, but in SASS I was shooting 300 grain 45's and by nature of the size of the bullet I ended up using less powder than say a 200 grain bullet.

What do you think of the Aliant 410 powder for this load?

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Defensive .410, I would just use 3 inch #2`s !.............

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What are we shoting this load out of. Pistol or shotgun? I don't knwo of any .410 loads that will knock a shooter on his rear.

If you cannot find a powder that directly scoops the exact ammount that you need, you can see if you can borrow a scale and make your own powder dipper out of a empty shell casing and some coat hanger wire. If you can borrow a scale you would dip a brass case that has been cut a bit generously for the ammount of powder you need. Make a handle out of the coat hanger wirewrapped into the recess of case head near the rim. Then scoop powder and weigh. Then file a little off of the shell, scoop and weigh. Repeat the filing and weighing until you get the ammount of powder dropped consistently. Then make a tag for the scoop that states the powder and weight that it throws.

I've done this to fill in gaps in the Lee powder scoops for particular loads I wanted to try that the powder dippers didn't quite match for the powders I wanted to try.

4. 5kwkdw3

5kwkdw3 New Member

Where were you finding the powder gaps in the Lee set of scoops? Was it on the larger or smaller end of the range of scoops? When I was loading BP loads for SASS it was that the scoops did not go large enough so I found a scoop that threw half of the necessary charge and I just doubled up when loading.
    I really do not like doing that however, since there is a greater chance of just getting one scoop, three scoops, or none at all. Thanks again. Smithy.