What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by ryevick, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

I am looking to get a few firearms (shotgun, rifle, pistol) for security mostly. I hope to make this a one-time purchase and pray I don't become addicted to them during my "getting to know you" period with my guns. I am very new to all of this so please keep that in mind.

What is a good budget semi-auto rifle that is not classified as an "assault rifle"? I don't want any legal headaches if someone does get hurt, God forbid. I would like something with stopping power but I also don't want a round that can't be stopped. I would guess anything over 200-300 yards would be overkill but you folks would know better than I would. I was looking at the 7.62x39 round but I would think that would be strictly an "assault" rifle round... but then again, I have no idea. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

AR15's make excellent medium range defense rifles. and no they are not assault rifles. an assault rifle is a select fire weapon used by military forces to arm light infantry used in an a frontal assault role. you cannot purchase an assault rifle without lots of nfa paperwork, a hefty 300$ tax stamp, and about 12,000$. so pretty much any magazine fed rifle you find in a gunstore will suit your purpose just fine.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You're talking about an SUR, a sport utility rifle. An SKS is very inexpensive and ammunition is cheap. An AR type or possibly a Mini 14 or a Mini 30 could fit the bill.

An M1A or a FAL would be awesome, but they are somewhat heavy battle rifles. However, they can definitely reach out and touch stuff.

We can help you better if you could be a bit more specific.

4. SilenceDogood

SilenceDogood New Member

If you're concerned about how the rifle looks to your neighbors or, God forbid, a jury of your peers you may want to consider a lever action rifle. A Marlin 336 in .30-30 will fill the role nicely. They can be had for around $400 new at places like Academy Sports.

Your Humble Servant,

SILENCE DOGOOD

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I was thinking the same thing! A .44-40 is a great round in a lever rifle, .45 LC would be just as good. Both will give you VG 100 yard accuracy. A carbine in a pistol caliber, like 9mm or .45acp will make for a great 50 yard rifle. A high point carbine would be a good cheap rig.

6. ryevick

ryevick Member

I like them... my brother has one. I haven't fired it yet but I will say the round looks a little on the small side. I wouldn't think it has a lot of stopping power by the looks of it. I haven't heard anyone talk about the round I mentioned.

Below I am posting what I read in Wikipedia. It states that the AR-15 is an assault weapon. I said assault rifle but apparently there's a difference.

By former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-automatic AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:
    A semi-automatic Kalashnikov AKM rifle.
    An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an Assault Weapon under Federal Law.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
    * Pistol grip
    * Bayonet mount
    * Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    * Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    * Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    * Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    * Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    * A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
    * Pistol grip
    * Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    * Detachable magazine

The earlier term assault rifle refers to rifles that are capable of fully automatic fire. In contrast, the term "assault weapon" refers to weapons capable of semi-automatic fire that had those certain features, as listed above. The ban did not cover "assault rifles", but merely the new category of "assault weapons" which did not include automatic firearms of any type.

7. ryevick

ryevick Member

I hadn't really thought about a lever action... I had a Marlin 30-30 when I was a kid... I kinda would prefer semi-auto though.

8. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Remington makes a pump action series of rifles, 760/7600. They can be had in a variety of capable calibers, and can be fired quite quickly if need be.

9. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

depends on what "Budget" means to you!:eek:

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

When those lever guns were invented i bet the Indians were thinking "damn where did those assualt rifles come from"

Assualt is a verb not a noun. We shouldn't use that term it's a term the libs use to describe things they are frightened of.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

12. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Unfortunately there aren't that many "sporting" semi autos out there to choose from. At least none that hold enough ammo to hold enough off. For serous defense, you'll have to pick from the military type rifles. A good scum bad prosecuting attorney can paint you as an unstable gun nut for your choice of defense. Myself,they can kiss my a$$! I'll use anything I damn well please. I never really gave it much thought. I guess if I felt that strongly about it, I'd go with a lever gun. With practice I'll bet you can get pretty fast. Were you live will have a lot to do with a jury, should you find yourself facing one.

13. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Couple of things to consider...if and when you ever have to use a gun to defend yourself you are going to have legal headaches, doesn't matter if you use an AR-15, a Mini 14, a shotgun, a .22 pistol or a pointy stick.

A 7.62mm round is what is used in an AK 47 and an M-14 I believe, it has way too much power and speed to be considered a primary, in the home defense weapon...a handgun or better yet a shotgun would be, and are, my first choices, YMMV.

Now regarding this assault weapon stuff, the libs coined that phrase to scare people into going along with their gun banning efforts. After all, who could be against banning an assault weapon? Do you know that in NJ certain toy guns are banned because they fail the "assault weapon" test for having too many "evil gun" features. Learn to avoid that phrase, it pizzes a lot of people here off and labels you as a newb, or worse it raises a red flag about your intentions here.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  15. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

if you dont want to go assault rifle there is the ruger mini-14 (223) that is an old fashion looking rifle but you can get 30 rounds magazines and they even make one in the 7.62x39. mosserg 500 pump shotguns can be bought for around $300 and they are very riable. if you only want to spend $400 or less on a pistol here are some choice. ruger p-89, ruger p-90, smith and wesson sigma, ruger sr9, ruger sr40. anything that is a black gun that resembles a machine gun is an assault weapon. eventhough there are hunting rifles that are old school rifles and have more powerful loads bullet for bullet than the ar-15 and ak-47. people love ar-15 and other guns like it just because the way it looks. that is why so many companies came out with rifles that look like ar-15's but shoot 22 caliber.

16. LeverGunner

LeverGunner New Member

my opinion is dont worry about the legal ramifications of using one gun over another. just make sure its a clean shoot.

for a non assault rifle i'd go with the sks. it's chambered in 7.62x39 and is a good gun. look for one with a milled receiver preferably. i'd use soft points for self defense

the lever action idea is a good one, except i'd go with a pistol caliber round in the carbine. mostly because it will have less over penetration and the ammo will be cheaper.

another good option would be an M1 Garand. it's only and 8 shot, but it's 8 shots of 30-06

if you change your mind about the assault style rifle, then i'd go with an ak style rifle. they're chambered in the round you mentioned and can be had for 400-600. an ar is going to run you 600-1000.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Please pay attention to the phrasing of the above posts.

We all do know that the AR in AR-15 (and others) stands for Armalite, right?

We are all smart enough to realize that the definitions of the Clinton Ban are just about as reasonable and well thought out as Shamwows, right?

Rifles are rifles. Handguns are handguns. Rocket launchers are rocket launchers. Not all toilet paper is the same.

For home defense, I will back the suggestions of a shotgun. Many loads these days can take down the bad guys and you don't have to worry as much about over-penetration. Powerful rifle rounds will pass through the bg, the wall behind the bg and the good person behind the wall. Defensive handgun ammo is less likely to do the same as it transfers the energy to the bg.

But, any gun is better than no gun when defending yourself and your loved ones.

18. ryevick

ryevick Member

Why do you think I'm asking what I'm asking? It's not because of what I think... it's the a$$holes around me that can effect me with their ignorance. You should read my post closer were I stated I am new to this... but that doesn't change the fact that I don't give a damn about how you want to label me ;)

19. ryevick

ryevick Member

lol... i know right...

20. ryevick

ryevick Member

If I do wind up going with an assault style rifle I was looking at the Lancaster AK-47 (3076-478M) but if I can find something as I mentioned here I will probably go with that.