What's a good beater .22 gun?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by downrange, Dec 13, 2010.

1. downrange

downrange New Member

I have a cave on my property and my buddies and myself love to explore it.
    But I really don't want to take any of my nice .22s in there that are 500+ guns, but I really like how i can manuever with my p22 but for distance if i see a coon my m&p .22 is awesome but I am so worried they will get scratched up bad. I was lookin to spend around 100 max on it.
    Thanks for your posts.

2. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

For that price range, I like the Marlin 795. It's an autoloader, uses the same action as the Marlin 60 but with detachable 10 round magazines. It is pretty compact and you wont worry about messing up the synthetic stock. Mine shoots lights out with Tech-Sights, even after banging around in my car. I believe there is a $25 rebate running through the end of the year from Marlin.

3. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Might want to go to the intro thread and introduce yourself to the forum.

I would probably look at the classifieds or at some local gun shops for a used .22. Another option might be to get a neoprene cover to go over the gun to protect it from scratches.

Or.......just scratch it up. A gun is a tool after all.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ruger .22 PISTOL- full flap holster.

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Let me know where to send the $100

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Mossberg plinkster 702 or 802. They are ugly and cheap.

7. fixxer

fixxer New Member

+1 for the Marlin 795. A good, cheap rifle along with the Remington 597. My advice is find a used Ruger 10/22. Make sure the rifleing isn't wiped and go to town. It's about as reliable as any good .22LR on the market and there is a HUGE amount of aftermarket replacement/upgrade parts to be had if you decide you want to change it up a little in the future. Cheapest that still feeds okay is going to be one of the first 2 I mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  8. northhike

northhike New Member

Marlin 925 bolt action. You can pick one up pretty cheap. You could also find a used 10/22 in your price range.

9. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Nylon 66

Marlin tube feed

10. downrange

downrange New Member

Thanks for your input everyone. I have a 12 .22s just none I want to ruin so I think I will get a marlin off some sort.

11. northhike

northhike New Member

Well if you ruin one it might be an excuse to get a new one....just sayin. :D

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Check out your local gun shop. Lots of old single shot 22s looking for good homes and normally under a $100.00.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm going to echo the Marlin 795. I've got one and it's a great shooter, reliable and it's cheap.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I would get a New england H&R because they are cheap,if you are in a cave and trip you don't have a bunch of rounds accidentally going off,plus you can shoot .22 short in it if you want.

Attached Files:

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Mongo has the .22 Nylon, I vote for that POS.

16. group17

group17 New Member

Can't imagine carrying a rifle while climbing around a cave so another option would be a used Phoenix 22a pistol that would fit nicely in your pocket. Smaller than your P22. Accurate enough with the 3" barrel deadly accurate with the 5". Can be found for $100 used.

17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 with the synthetic stock :)

Rough/Tough and can give a licking as well as take one.

Folks say that synthetic stocks are weak, the 795's I could use to beat someone senseless with ;)
    I actually used a 795 stock to beat a snake to death with...
    I had it off the rifle to put a new folding stock on the 795,
    it was the closest thing to hand, so it got used ;)

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Nope...Not gonna trust some cheap 22 to keep some coon from using me as a chew toy. You can find things like a MK2-3 Ruger in shops used or a Buckmark even. But I don't care where I am if I'm shooting at something I want to make sure the round goes flying towards the target. Inexpensive is one thing..Cheap is another. It sounds liek you just need a decent holster to carry in that wont get you all scratched up.

19. Jay

Jay New Member

If you're considering shooting anything inside a cave, hearing protection best be on your list.... right up there with a gun you can be rough with.

20. crankythunder

crankythunder New Member

Not to many caves in my neck of the woods but...

I would be worried about ricochets.

Be careful down there willya?

Regards,
    Cranky