What's a good all around semi-auto?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Icon_xof, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Icon_xof

Icon_xof New Member

Howdy,
    I've recently become a prepper (with the economy the way it is and all this war crap going on, I ain't gettin caught with my pants down!) Anyway, I'm planning for the absolute worst situation: fighting my way away from civilization and going Grizzly Adams. So I'd like some advice on a good all around semi. I want something that could take out a group of thugs, double for large game hunting, and isn't too finicky in the field. And preferably with good iron sights so I don't have to rely on a scope.
    I was dead set on an AR-15 till I read that you have to baby them to prevent jamming. Then I was leaning toward the AK-47, but I've been told they're not very accurate.
    Not sure how accurate those statements are, so I'd really appreciate some input from knowledgeable gun folk.
    Thanks in advance,
    J

2. Icon_xof

Icon_xof New Member

Also I forgot to mention, I'm working on a budget so I'm trying to keep it under $1k and I'll be getting it from a gun show cause I don't want to leave a paper trail in case the law turns against us. So it would be awesome if y'all could put a price range with your recommendations. Thanks again,
    J

3. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I didn't know you had to baby an AR. We have ALWAYS beat the crap out of the ones in the patrol cars without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a Ruger mini 14(223) or mini 30(7.62-39) , they are generally more accurate than an AK, and are less prone to jamming (compared to an ar) when your bear drops it in the mud. I see them for about 550-600 at my local gun show in Lima, Ohio. That leaves plenty of green left for a case of ammo, scope, bipod, coonskin cap and moccassins.
    Watch out for skunks!

5. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Go with a AR you'll be pleased

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not sure who has the mythical ar15 that only works when the sun is shining and hasnt a spot of dirt on it. My ar15's run through mud dirt water sleet snow rain. My colt sp1 ive worn two barrels out with has never had a fail to feed fail to fire since i bought it in 1986.

My issue m16a1 in basic training i have no idea how many thousands of hands used it never missed a beat. My issue m16a2 had no problems. I was the unit armorer and i honestly dont remember a single malfunction with any of our unit's issued m16s.

If i had to pick the most reliable dependable if all things go to hell rifle... hands down a good quality ar15 without question.

If your into prepping get training. Just the possession of a firearm doesnt mean ability to deploy it in a tactical environment.

Learn to build fires under poor conditions without matches or magnesium fire starters. Firearms are low on the list when it comes to being ready. They are fun but being able to skin game animals use a longbow or recurve bow for hunting, being able to catch fish and clean them. Those are skills far more important than firearms.

7. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

You said it all sir,if I do have a feeding issue I know its on me either a wornout mag or I haven't cleaned it after a thousand rds when its packed full of carbon

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

JonM has posted some good information for you to consider. i agree with his assessment of the AR. they aren't used by our armed forces in the best of environments, and function as they were designed to. the AK would be a good choice too for the purposes you intend to use it for and can be just as reliable, again another weapon that can perform in any environment.

firearms are as JonM said a small part of preparations, important but a small part. what good is it if you kill something to eat, but have no knowledge of field dressing and skinning? none. you are going to go hungry. the best item in your inventory for preparations is your brain. that's the most important tool you have, use it.

9. Icon_xof

Icon_xof New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. JonM, you sound like you know what you're talking about with the AR's. Like I said, I wasn't sure how true that statement was. My dad has an AR and I love it. Very accurate up to 200 yards. And it's never jammed on us. I just didn't want to put too much trust into one gun without asking people like y'all.
    As far as preparedness, I've been doing TONS of research. Just ordered several books on wilderness survival and primitive living skills. And Survivorman is my new favorite show :] I've been training with a slingshot, throwing knives, and axes to help ration ammo, and I've been training physically so my body can endure whatever stresses I may encounter. Weights, heavy bag, nunchucks (which you have to get tough to master), and off-trail running to name a few. Even got my 5 and 11 year olds training with the chucks and we'll start practicing survival techniques as soon as the books come.
    Anyway, while I have your attention, what would you recommend for a side-arm? I'm leaning toward a 9mm because I'm used to firing my dad's. And this may be a stupid question, but can you get suppressors for those? Never know when you need to be quiet.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I hear about ars jamming when dirty. Mine never let me down, but I keep it clean. Forgive me, ar gods. :)

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.

As for your handgun question, you want a semi-auto that is both gang and hunting capable, and that seems a lot to ask. Maybe something in 10mm, but that would be a compromise for hunting anything that won't let you get close. Why not a revolver? A good ole ruger gp100 with a 6" barrel can reach out with good .357 mag rounds OR provide quick follow-up shots with the .38 special rounds. Mine has good iron sights and is simple to clean. Of course, if the gang attacking has more than six members or i miss one, i will need to reload quickly with a handy speedloader (i have a pair). For a SHTF pistol that would need to do double duty for hunting, i would want my gp100 and some ammo variety.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

For a thousand dollars, buy a $450.00 AK clone and $650.00 worth of ammo to practice with and stash.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Orangello and Jon have pointed out some good points. :eek: I had no other way of saying it. I really like the AK74 clones. I sold my AR. Why, because I needed $$ and did not shoot it much. Cheap steel cased ammo was an issue w/ mine. I kept my Wasr2 in 5.45 and am very happy. It really comes down to what works for you. BTW, I still have quite a bit of surplus 5.56 as there will be more rifles out there then ammo if TSHTF.

14. Foskco

Foskco New Member

Yep steel rounds are crap. Also agree with your opinion on the .357

15. Foskco

Foskco New Member

Also I'll be getting a rifle for the same reasons in case 'Fit hits the shan'.
    Here's my shopping list for when the time comes

-AK-47
    -AR-15 or Mini 14
    -.44 Mag
    -Colt .45 (side arm)
    -12 guage
    -tons of ammo
    -Crossbow
    -KA-BAR
    -Repeling/climbing rope
    -Combat shovel (the folding ones)
    -Shelter in a remote area
    -M.R.E.'s
    -clean water
    -fishing poles and line
    -guard and hunting dogs
    Blue tick (hunting)
    Doberman (guard)

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah and a 9mm as a second side arm if you had to find more ammo 9mm is more commenly carried I would say.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't know who you've been talking to about AR15s but they are wrong. Now if you buy an AR from some POS manufacturer then yes but, isn't that the case with anything. The AR is a proven system weapon system.

As far as people saying steel case ammo is crap, they are wrong. I shoot steel almost exclusively and have had 1 problem, a hard primer, in almost 3k rounds.

Edit: the cleaning thing is wrong as well. Keep it lubed and you'll be more than good to go. I rarely clean my ARs and they run great.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Damn, Jon,
    Wish you had been the armorer in some of the CAV units I was in. Our weapons WERE the mythical guns that only worked when the sun was shining and were white glove clean. We saw a LOT of daylight between our receivers, which had every imaginable brand on them, from Mattel, General Motors, Singer sewing company, and many other billy-jo-bob companies. Occasionally we would have a Colt, which usually went to someone in the commanders office. Sometimes we would have to take a hammer to the mags to get them to go in, or so loose you didn't need the mag release button to remove them. Then when we wrote them up for malfunctions, we were told it was our fault they wouldn't cycle a whole magazine because they weren't white glove clean when we turned them in. Now that I know better, I don't let our armorer play that game (that and being the acting 1SG helps a little).
    There are crappy guns out there, and I try to steer clear of those, but a lot of military units end up getting the shaft because of the lowest bidder.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like you needed a better chain of command and arms room sgt. Our weapons although "well loved" were always in good working order.

19. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Systemic problem because too many leaders were using doctrine as an excuse not to keep their weapons serviced. I turned in a weapon with a 2404 for broken gas rings, and six months later when I signed the same weapon out, the rings were still broke. I started carrying my own set when I went to the range after that. A .35 cent part that the armorer was too lazy to replace, and commander was too lazy to make him do his job. Anyhow, enough of my soapbox. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

20. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

My AR's have no problem with Wolf, or any other ammo. 'Course, I built 'em myself.