What's a good .380 Pistol to buy?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gremlock686, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gremlock686

gremlock686 New Member

I use to have a .380 like 12 years ago, and I liked it, for it's size, and carry Guns changed since that time, what's a great .380 pistol out there? I'm liking the Colt .380. Opinions ?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Sig P238 and love it. Great little gun. It is slightly heavier than the Ruger LCP and I liked that feel in my hand. It also has an external safety which I liked, too. Take a look at one next time you're at the gun shop.

I don't know anything about the Colt .380 but I do know that Colt makes very reliable guns.

3. gremlock686

gremlock686 New Member

Yea I overlooked that one.

4. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I own a LCP w CT Laser. With all the "strange reports" about HPs failing to open up or penetrate, perhaps ammo w be a better choice for a debate.

According to G&A - 380s need approx 950 fps in order to open up reliably. This is at the edge of 380 performance in a mouse gun. People are going back to FMJ ammo despite the inherent liability of over penetration.

A park ranger got a call - some tourist shot a black bear 5X w a 380 FMJ. They assumed they had a wounded bear roaming the park so they prepared for the worst and began to look for him. He was found a short time later, dead.

LCP - love to carry, reliable, but not fun to shoot. Love the Sig but who wants to have a Mouse gun locked n cocked in their pocket? (Condition One)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

There are 4 I would recommend looking at, Ruger LCP, SIG Sauer P238, S&W Bodyguard and Colt Mustang.

I've got the SIG and have no problem with it cocked and locked in a pocket holster.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

That Sig is a beauty. Personally I have owned my Beretta 84 for 20 years, NEVER HAD ONE PROBLEM WITH IT. it's an FS so it has a 13+1 capacity, feels great in my average sized hands and looks bad ***, after all its a Beretta 92's little brother. Some may says its a but big for CC. needless to say I disagree.

7. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Also the Bersa Thunder ... I forgot that one. So 5 .380's you should check out.

8. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Bersa Thunder 380 is a good gun, use it for my carry gun too. Bersa also offers a Thunder 380 CC designed for conceal carry.

And you can't complain about the price.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It's bigger than an LCP, about the same size as the the Bersa, maybe a bit bigger, and it's DA/SA with a manual safety/decocker as well. IMHO a great CC weapon. You can't stick it in your pocket or on your ankle, but I've worn it in the small of my back and in a shoulder holster and it's well balanced for that...

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dumped my P3AT and it is about the same as the LCP which I have fired. The Bodyguard is in the same league. I carry the P238 with a 7 round mag and love it. It is fun to shoot as opposed to the others I listed.

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Sig P238 without a doubt. My daughter and I each have one and love them. Unlike a lot of the little .380's this one won't tear your hand off.

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

So darned pricey though.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I soooo miss my Bersa Thunder. :( My sister needed a new pistol though. One day i will order one of their newer double-stack models with 15 round capacity.

14. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

You get what you pay for. My buddy just bought the P238 and that thing is pretty nice. Almost as nice as my P938 ;)

15. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Agree on the Sig P238.
    Both my wife and I have one.

[​IMG]

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you want real light and works real well, taurus tcp380 at 10oz. If you are looking at a p238 when you see it weights 15oz you could have a a choice of several 9mm and still by a tcp cheaper. For largers 380s the bersa are easy to shoot and works well too. Man theres a buch of them out there. Just pick up different ones and judge how they feel in your hand then rent some or see what you can shot free from members near you.

17. Hollander

Hollander New Member

May I interject the Kahr P380. A little pricey but verrrry easy to shoot. It does not beat you up. Accurate, easy to fit in the pocket. When I do not have something on my belt, the little 380 is in the pocket. Good luck with your search and purchase.

18. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Looking for a 380. Good price, handy, accurate and fun to shoot.

Jim

[​IMG]

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I've never held the bersa but it looks about the same size as my cheetah. The only difference I see is that my cheetah is a double stack.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I bought one for myself as a backup. I'm worth it. My daughter shot it and loved it. We got her one on the way home from the range. Since she is also protecting my granddaughter she's more than worth it. Really, how can you put a price on your loved ones? Add in that they are really fun to shoot, and it makes it even easier to spend the money.

I will say one thing. Extra mags from Sig will run you about $50 US. To me that is highway robbery.