what's a good 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by usmarine3533, Mar 11, 2012.

1. usmarine3533

usmarine3533 New Member

For the money what model 30-06 bolt action is best?

2. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I study firarms design as a hobby. I completely disassemble the gun and examine every screw and part for quality of construction and materials. This being said of all the affordable models the Ruger 77 MKII is heads and shoulders above the rest. The action closely resembles and operates like the old 98 mausers. Do I own one? No I prefer and use much more expensive pre 64 Winchesters. But if I did have to by a new gun it would be a Ruger 77 MKII. That being said I am not that found of many other Ruger products, but this one they got right.

3. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

New Winchester model 70's. Old pre 64 model 70's. The rifleman's rifle. Either one. I have a pre 64, I'm working on the wife to get a new one. The LGS has a sweet sporter model. Stock is covered with fiddleback.

4. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Savage 110 with their new trigger. Amazingly accurate and the price can't be beat.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'll Second the Ruger M77. I have 2 of them, 1 30-06 and 1 .243
    Both are great bolt guns and both were a bit under $400 when I picked them up. With all the bolt guns out there I don't think there is any correct answer on which one is the best. I can tell you the Ruger is a great value for what you get.

Tack

6. PARTSWOODCHUCK

PARTSWOODCHUCK New Member

I am very partial to my old Savage 110, I bought it used for $299 a couple years ago. Doesn't have tha Accutrigger, but the old style trigger is adjustable. The trigger breaks very clean, and is probably in the 3# range.

Attached Files:

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I prefer the Winchester model 70.

8. PARTSWOODCHUCK

PARTSWOODCHUCK New Member

I would LOVE an old Model 70, I almost bought a new one the other day. Couldn't bring myself to buy an American Icon that was made in Japan.

Some day I will find the 70 of my dreams

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

It's all about opinions with bolt actions. Win 70, Rem700, Rug M77, Brwn A-Bolt...they are all pretty good.

10. hotrodz32

hotrodz32 New Member

I have to join the Ruger M77 bunch very well made sweet shooting rifle

11. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Made at the FN plant. Columbia South Carolina. Google it.

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

If u got the money look at the Browning bar sporting version I have one from 1984 and I love it

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

13. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

I'm a fan of the Remington 700 and winchester model 70. My pops 70 in 30-06 shoots like a dream and with the muzzle brake he has on it greatly reduces the recoil.

14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

My first choice would be the Remington and Winchester, but I wouldn't have a problem layin my hands on any of them.

15. usmarine3533

usmarine3533 New Member

Thanks a lot guys, think I'm gonna look into the ruger

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

17. cottontop

cottontop Guest

My vote goes to the Ruger #1 single shot. You need to see one in person to really appreciate it. They are absolutely beautiful; both wood and metal. The action is very strong and the extraction cam is very positive. I only neck size the brass and I've never had an extraction problem. I have two and they are absolute tack drivers. Along with the M77 bolt action, old Bill Ruger got these two models right.
    cottontop

18. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

I bought a new R77ST for $180 and had it all these years. I never liked the stock fit compared to the M70. The original trigger was fair. It is a little muzzle light, and the action isn't recommended for rifle builds. If I had it to over again it would have been a LH 700 since the pre-64 M70 only came RH.

Of course if I knew what gun prices were going to be 30-40 years later.......

19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes Savage also...forgot about them...good rifles as well.