Whats a good 20 gauge to start out?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SquirrelMurder, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SquirrelMurder

SquirrelMurder New Member

Looking for a good reliable 20 gauge shotgun for me.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. Walley

Walley New Member

I know that many will disagree with me but let me suggest a decent break action. The Stoger Uplander (S X S) or Condor (O/U) are both well made guns at a reasonable price. With screw in chokes they perform very well both in the field and at the range. Granted one can not trick them out like the pumps, which seems to be the major theme of these threads, but for hunting or breaking clays they fit the bill without breaking the bank. Either one is more than adequate for home defense. In my cabinets 31 shotguns live and they are all break actions except for the 12 gauge pump that had belonged to my deceased father-in-law. My slug gun is a 20 gauge single shot smooth bore that over the years has put around 40 deer in the freezer.

4. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

20 gauge

I have a 20 ga. mossy riot, purchased in 1987. I just purchased a full stock for it. I love the gun, 20 ga. has about 25% less power then the 12 ga., but also has about 50-60% less recoil, great for hunting and even better for home defense. Quicker and more accurate follow up shots. Thats just from my own personal experience.

5. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

20 ga starter

to start out at what? any gun thats good in 12 will be ok in 20 the inexpensive pumps mb 500 low grade 870 are very good but for break actions be cautious esp for high volume shooting

6. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Be careful with the little break actions if you by used. My first shot gun was a used single barrle 20 that someone had cut down and removed the weight in the stock to make a kids gun.(This is probably why they got rid of it) Even with low brass light loads it kicks more than most 10 gauges Iv shot.

7. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive 20, look at the plainer versions of the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. These guns will serve you well, and last a long time with reasonable care.

You haven't really stated what your purpose in this aquisition is, so it's really hard to offer suggestions.

So, think carefully as to why you are purchasing this gun, and then fill the rest of us in so that we can offer some actual help.

8. Slugo

Slugo New Member

I would look at the Mossberg SA-20 autoloader. It's an excellent and reliable 20 bore...

9. SquirrelMurder

Most likley deer hunting and i was looking at pumps

10. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

deer gun

for slugs i would go 12 with open choke for oo buck 12 with a mod sabots /rifled tubes? deer with a 20 you need to be a good hunter

11. od green

od green New Member

If you are young, I bought a new mossberg 500 youth combo for my youngest son . Well it's mine now cause he ain't gonna pry it from my hands come deer season !!! Light weight less recoil and it's a deer killin machine, took three doe's last year around 75-100 yrds and couldn't be happier. I have a older 500 12 ga turkey gun that kicks like a mule on steroids. The youth model is built like a tank and shoots 2 3/4 rem buck hammers like a laser !!! Also if you want switch barrels which comes with all three chokes for even more hunting pleasure. If you can't tell by now I Really like this gun and kicked myself why I didn't go with a 20 ga earlier.

12. SquirrelMurder

Thanks all, now looking at Mossberg 500's

13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a Mossberg 500 combo with a rifled barrel. Since I have put a scope on it the Mossberg shoots about a 1 1/2 group at 75 yards. I am shooting free handed, no sandbags or bench. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope with the combo. Davidsons had the combo for $340 last time I looked.

You get a Mossberg 500 with a wood stock, a 28" accuchoke barrel with 3 screw in chokes and a rifled barrel with Williams sights on it.

Davidsons is gallery of guns. Just type davidsons in your browser and the URL for gallery of guns should show up as a selection.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. Underdog

Underdog Member

Look at the Mossberg 500 bantam 20ga. It has a wood stock and a 22" barrel that uses interchangable chokes. It has a 13" LOP and is perfect for almost any use. I put a direct fit Limbsaver recoil pad on mine and it's real easy to shoot.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at the Remington 11-87.

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Get a Mossberg 500 combo with a rifled slug barrel or security barrel. It's hard to beat the sight plane of a 28" barrel for clay or birds. The Mossberg rifled slug barrels shoot as well as most rifles. The 500 comes drilled and tapped for a scope.

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

there aint no better guns in the world than mossy 500 and remington 870 expresses. for the beginer.get the best you can afford .and work up from there

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

This 5+1 is pretty much do it all IMO from security to clay targets to upland game to deer season. Man or woman. Adult or child. And if you really need 12 ga. power spend an extra buck and the 3" Magnums'll get you close enough...

Oh, they make a pink-camouflage one like it for "her."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012