What's a .410 used for?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by isaac318, Mar 18, 2014.

1. isaac318

isaac318 New Member

I got myself a Savage .410 C Series that was given to me when i was 10 years old. Haven't really touched it till recently. Some slight rust on the outside of the barrel. I took it to a local gun shop and they told me it's safe to shoot.

I'm mostly curious as to what a .410 is good for, compared to a 20ga or any other larger shotgun.

I've also been looking at handguns, specifically 'The Governor' (a revolver) as it also takes .410 shells. Would this be a good option for a self defense gun?

My idea is worse comes to worse, I could use my Savage .410 and the governor as my two bedside tools. Maybe load up a couple slugs??

Sorry for the complicated (2-part) question. Thanks for your help!

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A 410 is used by highly experienced shooters to make their sport more challenging.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Snake control is the first thing that comes to mind, also squirrel & blackbird & other vermin control when you don't plan on eating the kill.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

See above.

It was also used extensively by turn of the century naturalist to take animal samples for various museums with little damage.

Modern use its a shell used for extreme challenges in clay shooting.

Even with so-called modern "defensive" loads its a damn poor round for self defense only slightly less useful than a 25acp... I think your more likely to be successful using a super soaker than 410 shells

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It is great for teaching humility to old guys that use one for Sporting Clays! :eek: (Rem 1100 in .410)

Seriously, good small game gun- rabbits, squirrels- and if you are a really good wingshot, quail. Snake control- yep.

While there have been deer taken with .410 slugs, the energy on those is so low as be uncertain as to ethics of deerhunting with one.

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i use a 410 for rabbits and squirrels regularly,i also like to shoot clays with it but the cost of the shells keep me from using it as often as i like.

7. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I dove hunt, rabbit and tree rat hunt with mine. I also use it to shoot the quail we train dogs with.

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Mine is used for frustrating the hell out of it's owner...:mad:

Mine is used as a theatrical sendoff for the clay pigeons, as they gloriously embark on their journey to freedom and safety...:mad:

In all seriousness, it's a great trainer for those wanting to get into skeet/trap who have little or no experience with shotgunning. Not like a greenhorn will hit much with it, (I sure suck with it) but several newbies I have taken to the range handled the recoil of the .410 much more comfortably as opposed to 12 or even 20 ga...

Still fun though...:p

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

From a pistol a 410 slug is pretty anemic. Shot from a long gun the 410 slug is potent self defense medicine. Many people feel comfortable with a pistol caliber carbine but they are quick to bash the 410 which has more energy than a 44 mag at self defense range. Some of the boutique 410 slugs make over 1,500 ft lb of energy from a 24" barrel.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I used a .410 when I went skeet and trap shooting last October and I will be using it again next month. I am a very inexperienced clay shooter but I use the .410 because I am a shotgun recoil wimp. I may try Balota's new 20 gauge Weatherby.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You didn't want to run afoul of my FIL on his farm, with his .410.

He took dozens of critters who were tearing up his crops, over

the years.

I wish I were half the shot he was.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

410 use to be one of the more widely used sizes of shotguns for teaching youths about shooting shotguns without punishing them with heavy recoil. 410 use to be one of my favorite snake killing rounds years ago. a 410 can be used for SD/HD at very close ranges, but there are better choices to choose from.

currently i am looking to add a 410 bolt action shotgun to my collection.

13. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Funny how people don't think a 410 can take a deer but it has more energy than a standard 45 colt load. With that kind of energy I'd think it would make a hell of lot better SD load than many of the little micro pistols out there.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am not familiar with the Savage model you got, but if it is a double, it will be borderline for HD; single shot - no. It does make sense to acquire a companion SD handgun in 45/410 if you like the caliber.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The problem is not the energy but how it is delivered. Usually a .410 slug is a hollow base projectile that does not penetrate as well as a solid .45 pill from a Colt wheel gun. Or it may have round balls that also deform and fail to penetrate well.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I use a .410 for pest control, like squirrels and rabbits and snakes, armadillos, opossum, etc. I've also used it for grouse.

17. DP03

DP03 New Member

I would respectfully disagree. A PDX1 out of a Judge would be a much better choice than a 25acp. I don't care what "penetration stats" you quote, I've shot a lot of Judge rounds, and I would not want to be in a gun fight with a 25 against it. Never.

18. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like a .410 for shooting skeet and doves, I dont consider it a great defensive round when compared to a .45 or a .357 mag but it does probably make a good anti carjacking round.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Powder burning in the air is always quite impressive. However, science has a long way to go before they develop a shotgun powder that will completely burn in a 6" barrel. I would take a well made European 25 cal any day before I would carry a judge.

How many years did it take for Hornady to introduce a 22 mag that will burn most of the powder in a pistol barrel? It will take longer to develop a shotgun shell for a pistol. First manufacturers have to see if the judge is more than a fad.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

have you ever shot a Judge pistol JD? probably not based on your comments. i have. my brother bought one for SD/HD usage. with the proper ammo, it's quite effective at close range. we used an old washing machine for target practice. it did penetrate quite well. so unless the BG has a chest structure more durable than steel, i think it will put a BG into the morgue quite well.