what're the benefits of each rifle... gotta pick one

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by schnuffleupagus, Mar 26, 2015.

1. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

I really wonder about what the plusses and minuses are on each rifle. Browning Hog Stalker vs M1A

I'm going to buy one. I love my browning BAR
    I did enjoy shooting the M21 in the Army...

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

well the browning has a better barrel. but the stock is clunkier

the m1 has cheaper magazines and is more ammo sensitive but a better stock.

the browning will be better for optics but worse if you want iron sights

the m1 is terrible for mounting optics

the m1 will be better for handling and easier to get into blinds if your a hunter.

personally i wouldnt go with either.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That browning is an assault rifle. You can tell by the pistol grip. :rolleyes:

4. Salvo

Salvo New Member

The M1A will need endless tinkering, and once you get it accurized, it won't stay that way forever. It's great for tinkerers and military buffs, but that's about all it is good for.

I'd take the Browning over two of the M1A's. - I've had both. The Browning is a much more serious weapon, much more capable and much better designed.

5. schnuffleupagus

I stalk and get out. No blinds.

What would you get? I already have an H&K91

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i went with a fn scar17

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The FNAR is similar to the Browning but more "plain Jane.

It has rails for optics and accessories and 5,10 and 20 round magazines. Full pistol grip, and the legendary FNH quality

[​IMG]

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Would love to shoot Browning and FNH -in 308 side by side. The FNH comes w a MOA guarantee - not sure about Browning.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

So if you live in California then anything with a pistol grip requires a bullet button on it.

That makes anything without a pistol grip more versatile.

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

A bolt action mountain rifle would more appropriate for hunting then, since you spot and stalk.

You only need one carbine in your arsenal.

You cannot carry two at once if SHTF.

Attached Files:

11. samnev

samnev New Member

No offense but i think the FNAR is butt ugly. I'd go with the M1A loaded.

12. austin92

austin92 New Member

I don't like the way the pistol grip/stock meets the receiver but they are way less than a scar17s and cheaper than most ar10s. They have sweet triggers and ergos aren't bad. Not saying it's a good looking gun but they are a great value. Kinda like the glock of semi 308s lol

13. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Quick question, what kind of game are you hunting? About what kind of distance are average humane shots? Both of the rifles you picked seem to be well up to any challenge. The browning does seem to be better at being able to mount optics, but that hurdle can be overcame with the M1A.

This mainly comes down to preference. I like the M1A, but that is for it's history, so I do not want that opinion to affect your choice for your hunting needs. For a hunting rifle, I like a lever or bolt gun. Lever gun for ease of movement in dense brush and bolt for the accuracy.

14. schnuffleupagus

15. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Not an easy choice. Maybe just go with the rifle that makes you feel happier or maybe get both :)

16. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Correction, If you live in California, you can have a pistol grip as long as your magazine is of the fixed type!

Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
    12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
    Rifles
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
    the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
    rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
    Note: Bayonets and bayonet lugs are not assault weapon characteristics under California law.

17. schnuffleupagus

California is stupid. The people there are embarrassing themselves. Manufacturing methods of compliance around stupid gun laws is not civil disobedience it is obeisance.