What would you recommend

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jplo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Jplo

Jplo New Member

Hello, I live in Peru where stupid legislators though it would be great to limit our biggest caliber size for civilian use to .380.

I recently was victim of a home invasion, no one was hurt except my credit card to replace the stolen goods, and I want to buy a weapon for self defense.

I was thinking of buying a shotgun for the house, and a .380 semi auto for the car, any thoughts on this?

I feel no matter what I get I will be in a disadvantage as the bad guys use mostly 9mm and assault rifles....maybe a shotty with slugs?

Thanks!

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Is the Bersa Thunder in .380 reasonably-available and affordably-priced in Peru? I believe it is made in Argentina. It is my personal favorite .380 pistol-not tiny or hard to control, but easily concealable. This is the + model with the wider grip and 15 shot capacity: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...287/Bersa+15+++1+Round+380+ACP+wNickel+Finish The slimmer, 7 or 9 shot model is more familiar to me and a little less expensive.

I do feel safer in my home with my Mossberg 500 pump 12 shotgun. I have a 28" barrel for hunting and a 18.5" barrel for home defense. I prefer buck to slugs.

In my opinion, an accurately fired .380acp shouldn't lose much advantage to the somewhat more powerful (better penetrating) 9mm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

+ one on the Bersa Thunder "+"...15 in the Mag,...just saying....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if allowed for home usage, i would definately would recommend a shotgun. for a vehicle, being limited to a 380, i have to say to check out the Bersa Thunder 380 as well. very well made pistol and one the wife and i own as well. have been very pleased with it. back it up with som quality JHP ammo.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

+1 on the Bersa Thunder

6. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I agree on the Bersa Thunder .380 or else maybe a Glock 42 which is .380.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Another vote for a bersa thunder plus with a 15 round mag. Good solid pistols.

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

+ 1 one the bersa. Friend has one and it's a nice little pistol. Shotgun, large capacity, with buckshot for home.

Badges........?

We don't need no stinkin badges. ....

9. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Every post so far has recommended the bersa thunder so I will as well. I was thinking of getting the wife one for her birthday next month. She hates shooting 40 and is not crazy about 45 and 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JPLO,

Walthers are pretty much sold world wide. And now Glock is coming out with a new 380. I have recently handled and shot one! It is a fine Glock Model 42 380 pistol and is a scaled down version of the normal Glock Pistol but everything is the same. Just scaled down for the 380 cal. Frame and all! And it shoots fantastic and is accurate. I shot several Head shots at 25 yards with it with no problem.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Is there a magazine size limit in Peru? Are you not allowed .38 Super? I've heard other countries with similar laws allow .38 Super because it is not a military caliber.

Sniper03,

Glock has been selling two .380s internationally for years. I believe they are the models 25 and 28. If available to the OP, I would personally steer him towards one of these two (if we're recommending Glocks) because he isn't getting the gun for concealed carry, therefore size isn't an issue. It will be a car gun. He would get more capacity with the 25 or 28 than the 42.

But I have no experience with any Glocks in .380. Just throwing out some food for thought.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Personally, if I were in the market for a .380, I would like the Walther. They're very nice guns that feel very good in the hand.

The Bersa is a clone of Walther, correct?

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The bersa does tend not to be nearly as picky as walthers can be and cost closer to 1/2 as much and walther does not make a 15 round version.. With bersa being made in Argentina there a heck of a lot closer to your country too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. orangello

orangello New Member

Also a tad lighter I believe, as the Bersa has an allow frame (steel slide).

If you have any interest in a smaller revolver, my nephew recently had a .380acp revolver. It used something like a "moon clip" to hold the rounds together (no cartridge rims to seat on the cylinder). It was interesting and very soft-shooting for something that small. It seemed like a good backup/concealed carry handgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396310253

15. cluznar

cluznar New Member

You might want to look at .22lr -- .22 Magnum -- .32 acp and .380

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Guess he is gone !!

17. Jplo

Jplo New Member

Sorry guys I had technical problems with my computer....but Im back.

Thank you very much for all the replies and suggestions.

I see many of you recommend the Bersa, incredibly the gun shop, and I stress THE because its the only one in town, doesn't import it.

They carry Baikal, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Glock, Taurus and Walther.

Of these the one with the most capacity is the Glock 25, and the Sig Sauer.
    I think I trust Austrian and German design and craftsmanship over the others...what do you think?

The Sig is $827 and the Glock is $912.

My wife feels the need for protection at the home as well, when Im at work, she is small so I was thinking of getting her a rifle, the Marlin 60SN. $357

Im thinking it will be easy to point and shoot in stressful situations and has 14 bullets capacity.

Opinions?

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Glock would be much simpler to use under stress and with less practice, in my opinion. If that is the Marlin I think it is, it fires .22LR; a .22 is better than no gun, but I would rather have a lower capacity shotgun myself. Doesn't Baikal sell some nice shotguns, including some double barrels (for simplicity)?

I do love the look of the Sig p232, though; I've never shot one, but they are pretty little things. :)

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Is capacity your goal? I suppose it almost has to be since you are limited to .380 ACP. Personally out of your brand choices I like Sig Sauer. They are excellent quality guns. Its a bit remarkable that Glocks are more expensive than Sigs for you though. Personally I would go with Sig Sauer, and just train enough with it to become proficient with how the gun operates.

I agree with Orangello. A shotgun would be an excellent choice. Even if you have a side-by-side or an over-under, two shots of 12 gauge or 20 gauge is probably better than 14 of .22 LR.

20. Jplo

Jplo New Member

I think I didn't explain myself, my wife wants a gun for her to have at home while I am out. Thats why I thought of the marlin rifle, there is no way she can carry or shoot a shotgun. She is very small:)