What would you grow?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by notdku, Apr 7, 2008.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

If you were planning for a possible SHTF situation and had a good acre of land to grow crops on .. What would you plant?

2. gnoll

gnoll New Member

pot
    if you all read the mother earth news
    you can make fuel out of it
    you can make close and food too
    i think the small minded thinking this world is in wont like my choice
    but i would grow weed as my staple

3. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. PLUS, you can make a sturdy rope from it. Hemp was used for rope from pre history right up into the 1800s, when it was replaced by manilla, the strongest of the plant fibers. The only down sides to growing hemp is, you cant eat it (they say you can but think of all the funny stuff you'll do), and you'll have to tar the rope if you plan to use it in a water application or it will rot.

4. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking more down the lines of food oriented crops ..

5. gnoll

gnoll New Member

love it you rock well great minds right
    and you can still make food with it and not have the side effects of the THC

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Would have to be drought, pest, varmint tolerant, have seeds that one could carry over from year to year, and provide enough nutrition to make it worth the calories you used planting and harvesting it. What that is - I have no idea:p .
    I grew up with gas/ diesel powered farm implements and that was enough of a burden (but then again I was young, so I took no pleasure in the family garden). Thought provoking though when you put a real dose of reality behind it.

7. Righteous

Righteous New Member

got enough of and the right guns ya dont need to grow anything, just take it away from those that arent as well armed

8. hayjeannie

hayjeannie New Member

What would yo grow ?

I would have to grow a lot of root produce, spuds, carrots, beets. they keep a long time. Corn, wheat,and oats. berries, different types of beans. I would grow some chickens a pig or two and a milk cow. I would also grow a bigger attitude toward trespassers

9. watfreedom

watfreedom New Member

quinoa is a hardy plant and has natural pesticide it produces. nasa has been studying this food for long space flights. problem is you gotta soak ii before eating to get the toxins off. the plus is insects or animals wont eat it and it grows in some rough conditions(altiplano, south america)

10. watfreedom

watfreedom New Member

:D +1 but then again if you grow food that is not common here people wont reconize it as edible and that could be security in itself.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

There's a big element of honesty in that post and one I share as well. Bottom line, I'll do what I need to in order to see to my family and that includes taking things from others.

But I'm also making an effort to see to it that I have what is needed to remain self-sufficient.

As for growing things...I have some land, but it's all wooded and unsuitable for any decent crop. (There's no shortage of deer, wild turkey and smaller game.) I'd really like to buy some acreage and become more knowledgeable and self-sufficient sooner than later. But, the wife has other plans for our money. Ah, martial bliss....

12. hayjeannie

hayjeannie New Member

what would you grow

True that, but they, who ever they are would have to find it first, and get past the attitude.

13. teknoid

teknoid New Member

I doubt I'd change much, except maybe plant more of it. I only use 1/4 acre for the garden now. I might bump that up an acre or so, and add some more grape vines.

I'd definitely take more of the deer that find my plants so irresistible.

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I'd grow the state crop of Jefferson. If society is in demise, many people will need relief or release somehow. Besides, hemp gives us oil to use for lubricant or fuel and fiber for rope and clothing, as well as feed for livestock.

Poppies are a time honored crop in many third world countries for it's analgesic properties.

You've got to raise cows or water buffalo. They give you milk, meat, clothing and act as beasts of burden.

Yup, cannabis, poppies and beef. Seriously, if you can pull those three off, why do you need society?

15. gnoll

gnoll New Member

the more postes i see from you the more i like the way you think

16. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

What would I grow?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I'd grow what I normally grow, I use NON-Hybrid seed, I grow Tomatoes, Potatoes, watermellon, strawberries, Beans and Peppers, with those I can make a lot of different meals jellies and jams or can up the rest with some meat for storage! Most of what I give at Christmas is Home made Salsa, Tomato sause with Hot sausage or canned meat meals? I have done Beef or Vennisn stew, but I leave it up to what the folks want most? Most common skills like Pressure canning, Hot Water Canning and jerking and preservation of meats and fish are not difficult skiils, just skills not well used and not passed down to the kids liike when I was young? Find 1 in 10 that does it, maybe 4 in 10 that know how?

17. Chester

Chester New Member

Just curious, how many of you own the foxfire books? Very informative books in how to survive with almost nothing , How to build a log cabin, dress a hog, cow, Mostly how to make it on your own the old fashioned way.

18. teknoid

teknoid New Member

Heck, I learned all that growing up in KY. I think I was 14 when me and some friends built our first log cabin. Being a "hick" has some good benefits. We got pretty good at making our own wine, too. Many very pleasant (and inebriated) days were spent out in the woods.

Growing and canning food, hunting, fishing, and slaughtering livestock, are a few of the things a "country boy can survive" doing. We did them all. If the SHTF, we'd do fine in the "sticks".

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What to grow?

Potatoes. No hybrid seed problem, deer won't eat the plants, and with cultivation and fertilizer, you can raise about 12 tons per acre. You can plant very early, frost not a problem, potato bugs CAN be controlled by hand (but is a PITA). You can eat them, store them, and make booze from them. In a SHTF scenario, you are gonna need carbohydrates. Wheat, corn, barley gonna be scarce. Most valuable thing I would own in that scenario would be my library- yeah, Foxfire is a start. Mother Earth Guide to Homemade Power, Reader's Digest Back to the Land, Reloading Manuals, 1001 Recipes & Formulas, and works on gunsmithing, medicine, explosives (that's what I did for a living). And a working guide to effective moonshining. Realistically, an acre is not a whole lot- depends on soil, water, and sun. But crops can take a LONG time to come in- what if SHTF in, say, September? Gonna be Feb before you can plant in most of US, and August/Sept before you harvest. Rabbits, deer, squirrels, coons, possums etc are gonna be REAL scarce before then. PS invest is some semi-dwarf fruit trees NOW. Apples and pears store a LONG time, good souce of vitamin C (scurvy WILL be a problem) and have you ever heard of applejack? BTW- all in favor of planting hemp, throw in a few potatoes. You gonna have a BAD case of the munchies.

20. freefall

freefall New Member

potatos. one man with a spade and half an acre can feed a family.