What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PanBaccha, Aug 17, 2011.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Just curious here.
    What would you do if you saw a man beating his dog in public?
    The closest encounter for me was 20 years ago when walking
    down the street in South Beach alone I saw a man screaming
    and beating his dog. I purposely stood between him and the dog.
    (Did not carry then) But I wanted him to push my buttons.
    He looked at me nervously then in a sweet-sounding voice called
    his dog back into his store. What would you have done, if anything?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would have made some a safe distance from me and the situation, but still be able to see it and call the police.

3. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

:mad: Committed at least one felony. People that beat animals just piss me off. Same with people who hurt girls and kids.

I mean, hell, my grandparents (Very southern and proper) have made it clear that if somebody even publicly insults a girl there should be a fight. Beating a dog should get that response, too.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'd have fired two warning shots into his head. ;)

I'd actually have intervened as best I could. There's no excuse for cruelty to animals.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

......with my fists and asked, "Is there was room enough for one more in this beating?" ;)

Seriously, more likely, I would just stare at him with a stern look on my face and hope he would make some eye contact....and await a provoked invite from him.....:cool:

I really detest dog and cat abuse and/or mistreatment. :mad:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

yelled at him to stop. whipped out the cell phone and called 911. animal abuse in most places is a felony just ask michael vic...

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Just tell them they shouldn't disrespect their mothers like that.

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What if it were a Turtle?:eek:

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Most dogs are better, more reliable friends than most people. From a speech given by Mike Vanderboegh, I'll offer my take because I can relate 100% with him and his friends and what they did:

You know, years ago I was a civil war re-enactor and one Sunday coming back from an event, two friends and I stopped at a gas station in a little Mississippi town.

When we pulled up, there was a big guy there, missing a few teeth, who was whipping a dog with a busted fan belt. (And it wasn't even his dog.) All the poor dog could do was cringe and yelp. I was driving and I pulled up to the pump. We didn't know it but someone inside the station -- not wanting to get personally involved -- had called the cops, but it was Sunday and the nearest Sheriff's car was miles away. In fact, they didn't get there while were there. They told us. They thanked us. But they didn't want to get involved.

We hadn't been stopped for more than a few seconds when my buddy Chris, who was about half the size of the dog-whipper, took it all in with a glance and said, to no one in particular, "Oh, HELL NO!"

Any of you from the South, you probably know what that means. "Oh, HELL NO!"

Just three words: "Oh, HELL NO!" It was an observation. It was an announcement. It was a battle cry. And without further ado Chris launched himself across that parking lot -- and he's only about half the size of this toothless fellow -- and he stripped that broken fan belt out of his hand and he commenced to whaling on the guy. Of course, the two of us were looking pretty rough from a weekend and it's Sunday -- all grizzled and dirty and dressed in funny clothes -- and we go to back him up. When this fellow starts to recover -- and he decides, "Hey, I'm bigger than this guy, I'm gonna beat him" -- and then he sees the two of us coming up, he decides that he's had enough and he jumped in his car and drove off.

Now this is a quintessentially Southern thing, this "Oh, HELL NO!" All right? You gotta say it just like that. Let's practice it. "Oh, HELL NO!" The accent's on the "HELL!"

All right?

It is indeed a uniquely AMERICAN thing. When you hear it -- where I come from -- you know that somebody's gonna get beat, stabbed or shot. And the guy who takes the beating, the knife blade or the bullet undoubtedly deserves it.

10. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Lol...my adopted sister loves to say that. She would probably be the one going after the guy. Personally, I would probably say something and call the police.

11. sebbie

sebbie New Member

Red Head and Irish girl and all

I would probably want shoot him in both knee caps, put on my innocent terrified look, and then tell the cops he was coming after me!

I am angry just reading about this! Cruelty to animals usually means cruelty to others. I can't stand mean people.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Call 911, it will be a low priority call and hope it's a slow day and they get there quick. I couldn't walk away so I would ask the guy to stop and let him know I called 911. I doubt I would get into a tussle with the man, if that is his dog, even a beatdown dog will protect his master. Pick your fights well, do good when you can and sometimes accept your best won't resolve the problem as quickly as you might expect. Real life is ugly at times, do what you can to make it better with in your means/ability and with in the law.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Tell him, "Hey, the dog is obviously pi$$ing you off. Give him to me." Then I would tell him he would avoid any police encounter by giving the dog up and adopt the dog.

That dog would love me the rest of his life.

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For those of you calling the police, tell them he's beating a kid. Later you can tell the officer you saw him beating a small person and heard them screaming, but weren't close enough to tell it was a dog. This keeps dispatch from de-escalating it to below the stop at the donut shop. ;) :p :cool:

My wife broke the window out of a car at Wal-Mart one day when she found a dog trapped in a car and in full sun - it was 104 degrees outside. The owner came out and started yelling but I had already called police who arrived just a few minutes later. The dog owner tried to get the cop to cite my wife, but when the officer heard the whole story, the dog owner left in handcuffs. The dog was permanently removed from his custody and we didn't hear one thing about the window.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011