What would you do?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by PoPos9, Nov 29, 2010.

1. PoPos9

PoPos9 New Member

I have a question. Would you carry at work even if you are not supposed to. What if you had to use it? Would it better to have it anyway than to need it and not have it? What is you thoughts? I have a security job at a college.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. CANNONCOCKER

CANNONCOCKER New Member

Well if they were packing at the college in virginia,maybe alot would be alive

3. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Your title should have been...Your job or your life.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Your job is your job. If you don't like policy then find another job that agrees with you more. I don't see any reason someone can't have a weapon in their vehicle or even on their person concealed as long as it does not interfere with work but I'm not your boss and I don't pay you. We're not on our time we're on our employers and that means following their rules weather we like it or not. The other options are to look for employment elsewhere.

5. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Employer has Rights

your thought is problematic; loosing your rights to conceal carry, going to jail, spending $$$$$$$$ untold lose in wage earnings. All to protect your life.

Were you working around me; in a ''no firearm zone''; ? were I to learn; what becomes my responsibility.

A real can of worms.

Lots of lives, wage earning ability, can be violated, on both sides of the coin

6. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The employer sets wages, hours and working conditions. You have accepted them if you take a job. I work for a large corporation that says I cannot carry at work. I leave my handgun in the car. In spite of Florida's stance on allowing guns in your car at your place of employment, I keep quiet about it. I may be able to prevent a firing from sticking, but they could certainly make my life more miserable then I could theirs.

Personally I don't think it would ever be a problem with the permitted people carrying in our office. In fact it might stop those who would bring a pistol and start a problem from being successful. However I work for a German company, and they don't want guns in the office.

If I thought it was a huge problem I would leave this job for another. Of course there are not a lot of "others" out there.

7. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I have done so. And was fired for it.

In the beginning, it was not stated in the employee handbook.
    A coworker took the NRA basic pistol safety class with me and knew from class conversation that I intended to carry...as did she.

Later on, she did not end up carrying, but she also would not keep her mouth shut about the fact that I did.
    Corporate re-wrote the handbook.

Making trips to the bank with large amounts of cash and closing up at night to walk across a dark parking lot alone...I chose to still carry whether the policy changed or not.

I needed that job, but not at the expense of my own well-being.

I have a better job now anyway...and they encourage open carry. :D

8. PoPos9

PoPos9 New Member

Carry on the job

Thanks for the replies, I need this job so I think I will abide by the rules. But at least keep in my truck.
    Mike

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm in a line of work that absolutely forbids carrying of guns as a condition of my employment. I won't cross that line, period. I love what I do and there is NO employer that would allow me to carry at work.

In security, your situation is a bit different. If you are legally carrying (but breaking your rules of employment) you may actually behave slightly differently in a tense situation because you know you have that fall-back position. Meaning, you may actually escalate situations just because you are packing, even if you don't plan to before hand.

Your employer wants unarmed security because they have made certain calculations concerning liability. If you are carrying, and then use the gun during your work time, not only are you liable, but your employer takes on the liability.

I agree with others: if you don't like the conditions of your employment, change your employment.

Carry TO work. Lock it in your car. Work. Carry FROM work.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I work on a military station. No firearms are allowed on the Federal Reservation except by Security. After observing their "exercises" and seeing how they handle their weapons, I am a little worried about how much "security" they provide.

No, I will not carry to work or at work, but I am employed.

11. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I think that's an individual thing...there's no way AT ALL I'd escalate because I carry. My plan "A" is always flight first...and situational awareness is HIGH on my 24/7 "to do" list!

If you're talking about insurance, I agree.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got fired from pizza hut for pulling my DE 50 on a robber in the parking lot. didnt shoot him he turned and ran so not worth taking a life. he came back later complained that i wouldnt let him rob me. the manager took his info for the complaint form i got fired he got arrested for armed robbery. he had a knife.

i really liked pizza delivery but my life wasnt worth the job. its a personal choice up to you whether you carry or not.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My son put himself through college delivering pizza's for the same pizza place. It's pretty good money for the work. He was never confronted like you were, though.......thank God!!

14. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

JonM, that is some kind of messed up!

15. utf59

utf59 New Member

I don't know what the laws are in Texas. In Florida, a college campus is off limits to firearms regardless of an employer's policy. Also, in Florida, there is a difference between armed and unarmed security guards. There's a different license requirement for armed security, and there are restrictions on what types of guns they can carry, and I believe they have to be in the open. Again, this is Florida, but if Texas has something similar, you could be breaking a number of laws, never mind your employer's policy.

16. skyryder

skyryder New Member

I was in a similar situation with my security job. We had both armed and unarmed positions and I worked both. The unarmed position stated in the post orders that firearms were not permitted, well being that I had a state license as an armed guard and a CWP I went to my supervisor and explained that I would like to carry concealed while at the unarmed position, , long story short, I was given permission to carry and kept my job.

17. staudisglock

staudisglock New Member

No way don't do it. You could could open a can of worms with teeth! depending on what type of collage (private, community ect.) lets say you work at a community collage and you decide to carry and get caught they can fire you at the least if the cops are called then you are going to jail for carrying on school grounds and then that will follow you around for ever just my .02

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I seem to remember a thread like this awhile back, but anyways, if you chose to carry at work when your not supposed to you could be asking for trouble.

Not only can you lose your job you may face criminal charges as well, not to mention the possibility of not finding a job anytime soon, if your next employer catches wind of the reason you were discharged.

If you do carry to work leave it in your car. Avoid the hassel.

19. ficuciaryfamily

ficuciaryfamily New Member

Most employers forbid employees from having weapons do to liability issues. They often fear that if you defend yourself they, as your employer, can be sued if you hurt someone (accidentally or otherwise). In short, they make the same calculation the Ford bean counters did with the Pinto:

A. Their liability if you are shot by a criminal = $0.00

B. Their liability if you accidentally shoot a coworker or criminal's family sues = Bankruptcy

Logical conclusion? Forbid workers from carrying and shed crocodile tears when thug kills them. Its cheaper. If you want the right to carry at work then you must reform the tort laws. It is the fear of liability that scares employers into forbidding carry at the job site.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Hey, ficuciaryfamily, did you mean to type "fiduciary"? Have you gone over to the Introductions forum and told us a little about yourself?