What would you do?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ZachRome, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

There are 2 guns I want very much but I don't know which one to get first. I can't decide on either a CZ75b in 40s&w or a (I know it's a pistol thread) smith and Wesson ar 15... Any thought?

2. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

Eventually I will have both I just don't know which one to get first

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It's more than a little bit difficult to figure out what you are trying to accomplish from what you have posted. Could you pass on some more info? Is it for varmints? Self defense? Home defense? Paper punching?

4. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Personally, I would get the pistol first.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One complaint I hear about the CZ is the hard trigger pull in double action (but that can be said about almost any DA/SA handgun).

Evaluate your needs. If you have to ask which to get between a handgun and a rifle, then I would say "Neither". A firearm should fit a need (especially if money is tight).

If it is a purchase not based on needs but wants, then purchase both.

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have no preference shop for both and the one you get the best deal on buy first.:)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Personally not a fan of the 40 short and weak. I've tried the cz75 in both 9mm and 40sw the 9mm is much more fun to shoot. The cz 75 is a great gun but its limited capacity in either caliber is a turn off to me.

As for the ar15 I went with bcm midlength bhf lightweight. I've also got a rra national match A2 . The sw ar15 are decent but you can get a better gun in bcm colt or psa for about the same price depending on your price point. I lump the sw and bushmasters as over priced for what they are as there are much better in the same price points.

9. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I would say get the cz 75 first because it's cheaper to practice shooting with and your gonna find more ranges that let you shoot pistol cartridges than rifle. If you live in the country and reload I would say go with the ar. I love firearms but have a special interest in handguns so this post might be a little bias.

10. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

I might be a little bias towards handguns also so I'd go with the cz75. I have one in .40 and honestly recoil isn't that bad. I can only imagine what a dream it is to shoot in 9mm.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This is the kind of weird comment that I have to admit drives me nuts!

Don't get me wrong...dan_fl is a knowledgeable poster and certainly knows way about most pistols than I do. But a lot of people make this same point, and it really is a head-scratcher for me every time. Seems like a general case of mis-information. Under what circumstances are you ever going to encounter that DA trigger? Seriously?

I have a CZ 75b. Love the platform. Also have a BHP, 1911, etc. The three platforms are mostly identical, save the caliber and double-stack magazine. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through my 75b. I don't think I've ever even used the DA trigger, so I couldn't begin to tell you how heavy it is. Why? You load & rack...it's in single action...just flip the thumb safety if you intend to store or carry with one in the pipe, ala a 1911. Mag runs dry? Reload after lock-back...you're already in single action. The only way to fire this gun in double action is to load, then manually (and damn carefully) de-cock the hammer...none of which makes an ounce of sense since it has a thumb safety.

The caveat of course is that there are 75's with decockers rather than thumb safeties. But they're far less common (and less practical too, IMO) than the 1911/BHP type design. Most 75b pistols are probably never fired in DA, because you'd literally have to deliberately go way out of your way in order to do so.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

AR-15 vs 9mm pistol?

Totally a matter of your own needs and desires, to which I can't really speak. I have four 9mms and five ARs, so I obviously believe in both.

Buy whichever will bring the most joy now, and save for the other. If you choose the pistol; you got it, it's done, just buy extra mags and ammo. But when you buy an AR...suddenly you find spendy add-ons you desire, and that often evolves into wanting a better rifle altogether. In that sense, getting the pistol out of way might be a good idea before you head into the BRD abyss.

13. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a CZ 75B in 9mm. If it was my decision, it would be a no brainer...the CZ in a heartbeat. good luck