What would you buy next?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jhbwolverine, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine New Member

This isn't specifically a long gun question, but there's no 'general questions' forum, and it does deal with long guns some, so I'll ask here.

My wife and I have been shooting now for about six months. So far, we own a Browning Buckmark, a Springfield XDM 9mm, and a lever action .22LR Henry Golden Boy. We mostly shoot for fun, though we both appreciate the personal protection aspects of owning firearms.

So given our situation, what sort of gun would you buy next? Budget is not a huge issue. We can afford maybe $1000 every 3-4 months. I'm thinking about maybe getting something like an AR-15 eventually, and possibly a shotgun at some point (though at the moment I have nowhere I know of that I could shoot one). We've debated about whether we are getting concealed carry permits, but that's out of the question for close to a year, since we're moving in 3-4 months to another state, and you must be a resident for 6 months before you apply.

So what would be next on your list?

2. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I was going to say a 12g shotgun, but since you can't train with at the moment I´d get the AR. A good bolt action can be a lot of fun too, but the AR will fill the HD role much better :D

3. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine New Member

What would you suggest would be a good AR. Looking around here it seems like a lot of people build their own, but I'm not sure I want to try something quite that ambitious yet.

4. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Ever get the extra money...a Shiloh Sharps chambered in 50-90 has been on my list for a long time.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The AR-15 rifles are more or less all the same, with the exception of a few makers. Nearly all are owned by freedom arms. (So I've been told) Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS. That being said, Armalite/Colt, Smith and Wesson and Ruger are not related. Personally, I am partial to Bushmaster, only because my dad bought one when I was a kid.

From what I hear, the DPMS sportical is a good budget starter AR-15.

Also, you can't go wrong with an M1 Garand. A piece of history and a blast to shoot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd recommend a decent bolt-action.

Mosin Nagants are a fraction of what you can afford,

and ammo's dirt cheap. VERY fun to shoot.

A good used Remington 700, used, you could get 2 or 3, with scopes,

for 1000$, with an almost unlimited number of calibers from which to choose.

Wikipedia and Gunbroker are your friends.

7. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I'd vote for an AR type rifle too. For your price range, you could get a Spike's or BCM and still have a little left over for ammo or accessories.

8. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

My belief is that every household should have two quality handguns, a shotgun, a hunting rifle of some sort, and an auto loader defense rifle.

The Springfield XD is an excellent handgun IMO.

If I had your current stock the following would be on my To Buy list:

- a handgun, in .38, .357, 9mm, .40 or .45 cal (I favor Ruger and Kahr)

- a decent 12 ga. with a 5 or 7 round magazine (Mossberg is quite adequate)

- a bolt action 30-06 with scope (Remington, Ruger, or Savage Arms are good buys)

- AR-15 in 7.62x39 (Since parts are numerous the make isn't asimportant as the configuration conforming to local laws)

That's my 2% of a dollar.

9. shinzuer

shinzuer New Member

A Glock 27 to backup my Glock 23. Same caliber,can use the 23's mags and can disappear even better than the 23.

Would have said an AR but it's a loooooooooooooong time before that kind of money comes around.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

On the next thing on my list is a M1 Carbine... maybe a M1 Garand

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If I were you; I would buy the following:
    - 12ga shotgun (check Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)
    - another SD/HD pistol (9mm, .357, .40, .45)
    - hunting rifle (check Savage Edge or Marlin XS7...I like .308)
    - semi-auto rifle (my preference is a .223 AR or a .308 battle rifle)

Please note that I personally like to keep my ammo choice simple/consolidated and it reflects in my posted selection. :eek:

Good luck!!!

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I seriously need a combat shotty. Been looking at the Saiga 12, Remington 870P, Remington 1100 Tactical, Benelli Nova Tactical Pump.

For a pistol, I have a 1911 .45 and 9mm because I wanted something that fired a NATO rouond for a side arm. My current battle rifle is a Ruger Mini-14, hoping to add an AR. My reach out and touch someone rifle is a Savage 10FCP .308. Anyway, those encompass my short list of recommendations?

Always nice to have a pellet rifle, and a .22LR bolt, lever, pump or semi-auto.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

stag arms.. average in price.. i paid 900 even for mine. shoot great havent had any problems w FTF, FTE DOUBLE FEEDS. nothing. and you get a lifetime parts labor and shipping warranty

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Nothing much is as versatile as a pump shotgun with a couple of different barrels (short for HD & longer for hunting).

I would also suggest you try a Ruger GP100 or similar .38/.357mag revolver for target fun & HD.

15. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I have a fair selection of weapons, but I don't have an AR type yet. That would be my next weapon.

I too have a XD only Compact .40. Also a S&W Sigma in .40.
    I have an 835 Mossberg with 20 in barrel w/ghost ring sights.
    I have a 10/22 and Mark III.
    And I have a Howa 1500 20in HB in 308 w/6x18x50 Nikon. I have actually hit a gallon milk jug at 700 yards. It's a blast to shoot. I can keep you at bay a ways out....;)

But would love to have a good AR of some sorts.

Thats what I'd go for next..

Jimmy

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Since you brought up self-defense, one really must get a shotgun. Even though there might not be places for you to handle it, for the price it must be in the home. Though you must aim to some degree, I don't think they need the trigger time that other firearms may need to be effective.

If you go AR-15, 5.56x45mm is really the best round, and there is a LOT of information around here that will help you get the best value for your money (there is an AR-15 subforum).

Since you already have 9mm around your home, another option is a pistol-caliber carbine in 9mm, such as the Beretta CX4 Storm.

One last option I would suggest is adding a more powerful handgun round. The two best options, in my opinion is a revolver in .357 (S&W686) or a semi-auto in .45acp (1911 Government 5")

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Wolverine,

Obviously you and your wife have made some good choices with the Browning Buck Mark, The Springfield XD and the Henry. All top quality weapons. As far as the next selections a lot depends on that. For example what state are you moving to. Some are not friendly at all regarding the AR-15 Rifle. So that is one question we would ask you first! What State!
    For home protection pistols if you train with them are good! Shotguns are also good. Another thing good about shotguns like the Remington 870 Standard Models or Magnums you can have the weapon for several applications just by changing barrels. For example I have a Remington 870 and three barrels. Short Barrel with Rifle Sights for defense and Deer Hunting using Slugs or 00 Buck, another 26" barrel for Bird Hunting and one 30" Full Choke barrel for Duck, Turkey and other game. Then there is the issue of proper training regarding recoil of just shooting the shotgun for fun. This can also be reduced by choosing a smaller caliber like 20 gauge for example.
    The AR-15 Rifle some of the top quality rifles are Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine & Tool, Stag Arms, and some others. I prefer the Rock River due to all the items you get with the rifle as standard equipment not provided on others at the basic price. Like 2 Stage National Match Trigger, Star Selector Safety Switch, Rock River Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Front Side Sling Swivel, Fit Receivers, 6 Position Collapsible Stock as used on the DEA and FBI contract rifles, guaranteed accuracy, Ltd. Lifetime Guarantee. Then do you want a tactical style rifle or a Varmint Target Model. For example if you and your wife find a club or place to shoot it, the Varmint Target Models are a blast to see how much accuracy you each can achieve with say three or five shot groups. Very addicting as well as rewarding. This is just a few thoughts regarding your tough question. Have fun and I am sure you both will make a good decision based on your original selections. Oh and 223/5.56 Ammunition is easy to come by for the AR-15 Rifles. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

What would be next on my list? Hhhhmmm ...

How about a AA-12 Automatic machine shotgun, Santa?
    :rolleyes:

[ame=http://youtu.be/WOoUVeyaY_8]AA-12 Fully Automatic Shotgun!!! - YouTube[/ame]

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

An AR15 for home Defense, seriously! Shoot an intruder and your Neighbor w/ 1 shot. I use a 10mm 1911a1 w/ 180gr Speer gold dots and a Mossberg 500 w/ a 20" barrel #4 shot. I can kill a Coyote at 30 yards w/ #4 lead. An intruder at 15 feet will not do well and there is no over penetration. BTW, they would need to get past my 65lb Fox hound that flips out and kills anything that wanders in my yard, very territorial. If someone is that up close and personnal, cut them in half.

20. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine New Member

We're moving to Michigan.