What would u have done?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Vick, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Vick

Vick New Member

My first hunt about 5 years ago I had a 6 point walk out into my shooting lane, I also noticed another deer following him out of the thicket. It was a young button buck that someone else had shoot at and ended up crippling. I am a firm believer in good sportsmanship so I did what I thought was right. That 6 point walked away that day and I got to shoot my first deer.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A quick death was the best gift you could give. Congrats. Welcome to FTF.

3. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Nice a 6 point works. Ive got a doe here that i shot 3 years ago she keeps her leg up just as a reminder lol it happens even with the best hunters She has birthed 4 that I know of 1 of witch is in my frezer

4. Vick

Vick New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I was just scrolling threw and this site sparked my interest.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's a good site. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks and your occasional goons too. Lol

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Welcome to FTF. Stick around awhile, there are a lot of great people here, and they have a lot of knowledge they can share.
    You did the right thing choosing the injured buck over the 6 point. You probably saved it from a long, unpleasant death.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Welcome to FTF! Stick around awhile and get to know us.

Absolutely did the right thing. You can't eat the antlers anyhow so who cares how big they are?;) Besides, the younger ones are more tender.

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

Good call! I have let young legal bucks walk a time or two but I hate to see one waste.

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Vick I would've have done the same thing,I just can't stand to see an animal suffer...
    Good ethical hunting choice!

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Great ethical hunting choice, way to go..............

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Vick, you made the right choice. Not only would I have done the same, but I have done it before. No animal should suffer.

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Vick you did right. Its nice to have a buck ,even a small one for one of the first deer but takeing out a cripple was the right thing to do. I don't hunt for bucks only and let the smaller ones walk anyhow. Might grow into a worthy buck. . Doe's eat better anyhow and for some time only take a buck if its quality.

13. Vick

Vick New Member

First I would like to thank everyone for the welcomes of being a new member to this group. Without a doubt I know I did the right thing, and was just interested in what someone else would do. When I first began hunting deer I made a promise to myself not to shoot any yearlings, does with yearlings n the early part of the season, and if I see one that is suffering to take that one first. That is just something that I live by. Some will take whatever they see no matter size,age,etc... I'm glad to see that there are people that share the same beliefs that I do. Again, thank you for the welcomes.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Vick, I admire you for being an ethical hunter. I agree with Vikingdad that you might have gotten the tastier deer. Thank you for your compassion towards the animals.