What Would Happen? - shoot 22lr in 22mag and vice versa

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by philjam, Apr 8, 2013.

1. philjam

philjam New Member

This thought/question just popped into my head today. The lr should fit in the mag, and the mag cartridge should fit in the lr. Right? I did not actually do a physical test as this sounds like a dung storm waiting to happen.

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

Nope. The mag wont fit into the lr.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's like trying to run a 10mm through a .40 cal. Not gonna happen.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

.22LR in mag chamber=ruptured case, hope you enjoyed your eyesight while you had it. .22mag in LR chamber, won't fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim...........

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have never tried it. But I heard that a guy cut the rim off of a bunch of fired 22 mag cases. He ended up with a hollow tube. He said that the 22lr case fit inside of the mag case. He claimed to have put the 22LRs into the 22mag cases and fired them. He said that it was dificult to remove the LR case from the mag case when he was done. I have not tried it. But it does not sound totally rediculous to me. The pressure of the LR is much less than the mag. And many single action guns have interchangeable cylinders to shoot 22lr in a 22mag barrel.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Update...I just found an empty 22mag case in my garage. A LR will not fit in it. He was full of crap.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The 22LR uses a heel seated bullet- case and bullet, same diameter.

22 mag uses a bullt loaded INSIDE the cartridge case. The case is larger outside diameter than the bullet.

There ARE revolvers that have two cylinders, one bored for LR, one for Mag. With the exception of those guns-

As said above- 22 LR in a mag chamber, will split the case, bad ju-ju.

22 Mag in a .22 LR- will not fit in the chamber.

The mag is also running a lot more energy

8. stratrider

stratrider New Member

My Ruger Single Six convertible manual gives the same warnings mentioned above about putting the LR in the mag cylinder. When I've got the mag cylinder in I'm extra careful to keep my LR ammo separate and away from the gun. Pic related, my Single Six in good company ;) That's a box of shorts btw
    [​IMG]

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Love that gun. I run strictly 22 mag through mine.

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

lol..............

And marshmallows fit into piggy banks...........:D;)

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Since nobody has taken full advantage of this teachable moment. Here is a comparison.

Attached Files:

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There is no limit to the stupid things people do. The only trouble is with the advancement in the medical field these people often live to breed.

13. philjam

philjam New Member

It was a hypothetical question. In any case, thank you for the responses - a teachable opportunity indeed.

14. seedy

seedy Member

i had a high standard mark iv (i think) that i bought thinking it had a 22lr cylinder. it was marked only with 22 cal with no specifics on the revolver. i shot a few rounds of 22lr through it and started noticing some ruptured cases and lead oozing out of the barrel. the cylinder popped out when i later pushed a spring loaded inset button in front of the yoke. thankfully i did'nt hurt the gun or myself. lesson learned: IF A 22WRFM WILL DROP INTO THE CYLINDER DO NOT USE 22LR IN IT. hope this helps CD

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Not sure why this question keeps coming up. Just one look at these two cartridges should give you the answer.

16. longunner

longunner New Member

I think it would be alot like trying to fit your dick in a pencil sharpener...It wouldn't fit and if it did it wouldn't end well :D

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, that's true, and I'm surprised we haven't had someone ask that yet. I was in the LGS Sat, and some old army guy came in asking about AR ammo. A discussion ensued about the difference between 223 & 5.56. The box on the counter was very clearly labeled 5.56, but that didn't seem to matter. Owner gets flustered talking to these 3 guys, and ends up telling them 5.56 & 223 aren't interchangeable, 223 has higher working pressures. I think these guys talked him in circles until he made that mistake. I said nothing. When they left, I bought my box of 38 SPL for my 40S&W, and took off.....

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Heck, folks gotta learn somehow :)

I'd rather have someone ask a question than have a bad day at the gun range...
    Better a small blush now over a question than a big blush and a hospital visit ;)

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

It's not so much the questions, as the arguing and refusing to listen.....

20. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I accidently did this in my taurus tracker once with the 22mag cylinder and it sounded kinda funny and it split the brass. It didnt seem to do any harm to the gun though.