What would be a good Trap Shooting gun?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Delicious, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Delicious

Delicious New Member

Well I am planing on joining my schools trap team. I have alot of experience shooting pistols and rifles but not really to much shotguns. I wanted to know what would be a good deal for a gun. at practice I shot our coaches person Mossberg 590. I was looking at the 870 classic, a Tristar semi, or the Stoeger P-350, and I have a budget of about 300ish.

Any tips would be great. Also I wanted to know what would be the quickest to reload, and what to store shells in while at the range. All advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
    Lucas

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, you CAN use just about any shotgun, and I am not an expert at skeet or trap- but some thoughts for you-

Most shooters seem to like the over/ under shotguns for the swing. If your budget can stretch a little, you might find a Stoeger Condor close to your price range. Look hard at USED shotguns (old guns neeed love too)

As far as speed of reload, you have two shots (you guys throwing triples or something?) Nothing reloads any faster than a break action shotgun with EJECTORS. Break the action, empties go BOOP, stick two shells into the two chambers, close action, continue to march.

What holds shells at the range? Why, my gunbearer, of course. But he uses a shell bag. Shoulder strap, hangs at waist.

Oh- and stay with me- important concept coming up here- why not ask your coach what his thoughts are?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The true Trap Weenies, uh... I mean dedicated Trap Professionals, use dedicated Trap guns. In the US they are typically single barrel, high rib types.

But to learn the game, any good quality field grade gun will work. You can get an 870, and then look around for a Trap stock and a Trap bbl at your leisure.

I'd bet if you looked hard, you could find a good used Trap gun at one of the clubs. Beretta, Browning, SKB, etc. But not in the $300 range unless it is a lucky day, or someone takes pity on a new shooter. A well used 870 Trap may be had for around that, though.

If you find that you like Trap, and are intrigued by Skeet, stick with a field grade gun as it is the "Jack of all trades".

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. Catfish

Catfish Member

You first have to have a gun that fits you and you are comfortable with. I really like the old Model 12 Win. as it point so naturally. I also like the Browning BT-99. If you can use reloads, when I was shooting alot I loaded 7/8 oz loads for the 16 yrd. targets and 1 oz. for handy cap. I never found these loads to handy cap me aginst the guys shooting 1 1/8 ;oad and saved alot on shot.

6. Delicious

Delicious New Member

I think I found a good O/U gun, Has anyone used the Stoeger condor outback

7. maierar

maierar New Member

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

stoger

hope im not to late the condor will not stand up to the heavy use of team shooting [been there] for 16yd singles an 870 w/28-30 in bbl mod or full choke is all thats needed

9. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I have an 870 that I like to use a lot. I also have an 1187 Sporting Clays gun that is fun and damn good too but I have to use a rubber band around the receiver to keep from bouncing the spent shells of the guy to my right.

10. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Try a Remmy 1100 auto loader. 1100 You can get a good used one for under $300.00. Remember to practice!!!!

[YOUTUBE]fvXtWAK9l8Y[/YOUTUBE]

11. vern-m12

vern-m12 New Member

Hard to beat some of the high-end over/unders but in the price range you are looking at you may be able to find a well-used, properly choked Winchester model 12 that someone is willing to part with. For an older factory gun, they swing extremely nice and are very user friendly. No substitute for practice though. Finally, the older ones are notorious for breaking firing pins if used for extensive trap shooting.
    Vern

12. clospaz

clospaz New Member

Delicious,

I was exactly in your shoes a few years ago (I'm only 23). I ended up buying a Remington 1100 sportsman semiautomatic 12 ga. It came with a vented 28" barrel in full choke which is great for trap. A few years later, I bought a additional 26" barrel for it in modified choke for skeet and sporting clays. It isn't the prettiest gun out there, but I constantly beat shooters with higher priced semi's and O/U's. (I think of the 1100 as the ford truck of guns. There are better looking and more expensive ones out there, but it consistently gets the job done). I bought the gun used for $300 and the extra barrel for about $100. This gun has never let me down and doesn't recoil as bad as the O/U's so I can shoot for longer without tearing up my shoulder. My advice is to buy a quality low priced gun and when you get good enough, then save the money for a nicer shotgun.

Hope it works out and good shooting.

13. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

well...I shoot sporting clays and the trap guys on my colleges team are a bit different with the guns and gear they use but theyre really similar....

shell holding? get yourself a $20-$30 vest...big pockets in front hold shells and other accesories.

Gun? unless your shooting doubles a single shot break action is ideal...wont break down, doesnt need to be cleaned too much and theyre as accurate as a shotgun will get.

ME...I shoot a browning 425 that ran me $1,500

but if I were YOU...Id go for a remington 1100 or 870

14. jna142

jna142 New Member

You can use anything its just what is more to your liking. I use my beretta 303 12ga for everything.

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

trap gun

the better built thay are the better thay function but the gun is only 10%of the game its in your head eyes and hands

16. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Have you made a purchase yet? Would like updates on your purchases and how youre shootin :)

17. Gundog94

Gundog94 New Member

How about something like this?

72139 - 12 Gauge Tristar Setter Over/Under Shotgun 28" Barrel 3" Chamber Wood Stock

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

good luck see ya in 500 rounds

19. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

good luck and remember its all fun

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ask your coach if he has contacted the local Friends or NRA Committee about support. There may be grant money, ammunition and clays available. Our local committee got some funding for the local kids shotgun group known as the Clay Slayers. We were able to get a few shotguns donated also.