What would be a good cheap waterfowl gun to use?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by WawayandaGunKing, Jul 18, 2012.

1. WawayandaGunKing

WawayandaGunKing New Member

Was thinking Remington 887 nitro mag or a mossberg.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Be sure to research the 887 thoroughly before buying one, I have not heard anything flattering about them.

A traditional 870 is a reliable shotgun.

Check out a Benelli Nova for a quality pump gun.

Mossberg makes dependable shotguns and has made many improvements in the past decade or so.

3. WawayandaGunKing

I have two mossbergs. An 835 and a 500, amazing guns but I need a gun with a cross bolt safety something quick and for waterfowl

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Here is what I use, 150 bucks............

Attached Files:

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

My 500 has gotten it done for years. I've only seen 1 like it and that was a 20ga. All the internal parts are black anodized. I bought a Charles Daily semi field grade a number of years ago that has proven to be VG.

[​IMG]

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like the mossy 500. You can also get a second barrel for home defense. The 20 inch barrel is only about $89.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

I had a benelli nova and it was a great water fowl gun also check out the new winchester super x pumps they are good looking guns I've never had any experience with one but anything with winchester on it is more than likely good....and BTW look this thread is already starting to become about home defense smh

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

there go s the neighborhood

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hmm, More then likely??? Starting to sound like a newbe comment thread.

10. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

look around i found a beretta 390 silver mallard for less than $500 (my only plastic stocked gun) bottom eject converts to lh and can shim the stock for cast and drop

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I would look at a Benelli Nova or Mossberg 500. The new Remington 870's rust extremely easy. I know I know. I said something bad about an 870, and I'm probably going to get replies saying "I've had ma grand pappies 870 since I was 12 and I took it out to the fields everyday for 35 years and I had it out in the mud n' snow a lot and it ain't never rusted.". It happens all the time when I say that but people seem to not see where I typed "the new 870's". Their quality (the finish in particular) has dropped a lot in recent years.

12. WawayandaGunKing

Great gun but. I need something where I can get multiple shots off.

13. WawayandaGunKing

Great lookin mossberg , what paint would you call that?

14. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Synthetic Rem 870 Express and a can of OD spray paint. Doubles as a good backup boat paddle. Ive got an old 870 Supermag with the plastics. Awesome brushgun with the 3 1/2" 00 buck for deer and has been flawless on the bay and in the swamp. The cheap matte finish they put on the Express will turn your hand orange in a hour or less in salt spray but the paint fixes that, I spray the action out once every 2 or 3 years with carboncutter wether it needs it or not.

Badshot

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. phildenton

phildenton New Member

If you want low priced shotgun, a single shot 12 or 20 gauge break barrel can be had new for less than $150.

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

waterfowl

Well, at least you don't need a magazine plug for that one.
    cottontop

17. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Or you could get a used (and sometimes new) Maverick 88 for the same price, which is far better than a single shot for water fowl.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  18. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

What price range are you thinking?

19. WawayandaGunKing

375-400 maybe

20. phildenton

phildenton New Member

go with the remington then, or a benelli if you can find 1 for that