What Would A Lower Decibel Handgun With Stopping Power?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ryevick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

What Would Be A Good Lower Decibel Handgun With Stopping Power?

I am looking for a handgun to keep in my truck (OTR driver) for protection realizing that if it is fired it will be from inside the cab increazing greatly how loud it will be and I already have REALLY severe tinitus. Any suggestions? I wont be able to use a suppresser as they are illegal in most states.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

supressors are legal in most states (38) including: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

when your in a bad spot the adrenaline will start pumping your not gonna even remember hearing the gun go off.

i would say 9mm is going to be the least abusive concussion wise. ive fired 9 45 357 44 50ae under cover and 9mm to me was the least abusive.

3. ryevick

ryevick Member

I drive all of the 48 lower states so I wont be able to do the suppresser. What about a small caliber with hollow points like a 380 or something in that smaller cal. class?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

380 would definately work but i would not use HP in a 380 i use 90grn fmj in my 380's

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL- an auto will be quieter than a revolver (no cylinder gap) and a longer barrel quieter than a shorty. .380 or 9mm that is not loaded w/ ++++PPPP+++ ammo will be fairly quiet.

6. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Good question. Not sure I have an answer, but it would seem
    that sub-sonic would be quieter than super-sonic, and longer
    barrel would be quieter than short. Maybe a good old single
    action 45, loaded up with cowboy ammo? Not a lot of capacity,
    but absolutely reliable and it probably won't get you too crossed
    up with some of the silly state laws out there.

7. ryevick

ryevick Member

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the Walther PK380 (seems hard to find a second mag)... maybe...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. gunfighterzero

gunfighterzero New Member

Even though 380 is really just a 9mm short it is actually A higher pressure round, couple a high pressure round with a shorter barrel and it really is not quiet at all... Like someone else said go with a 9mm with subsonic ammo that will probably be your best bet....