What will you use for money?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by bizy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

SHTF! You need all your food, guns, ammo, clothes, knives. HOWEVER, those same things will be used for currency. So, take as much as possible. There will not be a need for cash.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the length of the event that has caused TS to HTF- money may still have a role.

Short term (days) YES, cash will be needed. Mid term (months) not as much. Long term (years) there will still be a need for a medium of exchange- whether barter, use of something that represents currency, or money itself. No checks, please.

The early settlers in Virginia used tobacco as a medium of exchange (you could pay tuition at the college of William and Mary in tobacco). There WILL be some portable way of exchanging value, since some of us will resist forcible exchanges with a spirited amount of gunfire.

That medium could be several things, including ammo, silver, hours of labor- or the pay that many country doctors took- eggs, chickens, smoked sausage, apples, etc.

I just make sure that I know how to convert corn to a form that does not spoil with age (gets better, matter of fact) is portable, and has many uses. Involves use of yeast and copper tubing.

3. FatPat

FatPat New Member

I lol'd :D

4. orangello

orangello New Member

If only they would quit wasting it as fuel. :p

5. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

IMHO : For the first few weeks after it collapses there will be people that will still accept the good ole paper dollar for goods.
    If, and thats a big IF, things really get bad then there won't be a lot of goods available for trade, barter or sale. So the message seems to be : "Be Prepared".

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

It is a skill that I see valuable in extreme SHTF.
    Quality homebrew/spirits could be priceless to the right folk.

7. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Yes, there will always be a need for some sort of currency, be it cash, beads, tobacco or electronic. Civilization has always had a need for a medium to exchange goods and services. It must be recognizable, divisible, portable and represent a wealth of stored value. It's not very convenient to take my cow 20 miles down the road and exchange it for 500 lbs. of corn, then take the corn 10 miles further to the grain mill. With a medium of exchange, that can all be accomplished with one transaction. During short periods of disaster or crises, the barter system can adequately fill in. For efficiency and convenience, a form of money exchange is necessary. Sound logical :confused:

P.S. The reason I need to go to the grain mill is because milled grain will ferment much faster. When bad times hit hard, who cares when you're walking around half crocked all the time. LoL...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. orangello

orangello New Member

If you are slick, you could rent the recently sold cow to tote the grain to and fro. :D

Even the idea of untaxed liquor would be of much therapeutic value in such a crisis.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

God forbid it happens.
    But since in that case, we will all need to group up for safety and have to protect what we have! Family, Property, food and other items.
    Ammunition, Weapons, Optics, Flashlights, Batteries, NV and other equipment will be like Gold!
    A friend of mine is buying some type of ammunition every week when he goes shopping for food at Wal-Mart and putting it back. For example one box of 12 or 20 ga. Shotgun Shells and a box of 22s or whatever. He advised it will be far better barter material than most other items and certainly for self use.
    Something to think about!

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Grow tobacco, learn how to brew beer and make wine, and offer reloading services. Seeds are also great barter items.

11. NOVA

NOVA New Member

I think the possibilities for trading goods for other goods or services is endless - anything people would truly miss and is in short supply.
    Candy, toilet paper, writing paper, cigarrettes, matches, soap, toothpaste, re-chargeable batteries and hand-cranked generators. Miniature bottles of whiskey or rum or gin or whatever! Aspirin, little packages of catsup many people probably just throw away without thinking. Its got me thinking, my son outgrows his shoes twice a year - WHY are we throwing the old shoes away? SHTF and three months later after you've walked 300 miles in your shoes you'll want another pair. Preppers store food and ammmo, etc, but I'm thinking why not store anything of value if you have the room to spare.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess it will be business almost as usual for the hookers. Their "currency" has been traded for generations, with and without a medium of exchange.

I could farm, i bleve.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The late Jeff Cooper called ammunition "Ballistic Wampum". I have also stored extra blankets, sleeping bags, canteens, water bottles, fire starters, multi-tools and a bunch of other stuff for trade goods.

... and no, you can't come to my house.

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

All of the items mentioned will be of great barter value. Having property and animals, beef, horses, chickens, sheep, pigs and a huge plot for a garden would be a plus. You could trade fresh eggs, meat and vegetables for anything you need.

You would also have to be able to protect that resource! And come SHTF, you will need reliable, honest and trustworthy help.

15. NOVA

NOVA New Member

And tools, lots of non-powered hand tools. No electricity? Gee you think maybe books might become popular again? Playboy magazines? I love his kind of thread - let's keep it going - great ideas love to read 'em while I'm killing time waiting to get off the clock and go home. :D

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

rice guns primers

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Anything the production of which would cease, or the delivery of which would stop or slow, would be good barter goods.

That's why, until I have so much STUFF that I can no longer store it, I would have no need for gold.

I'd rather have food, clothes, ammo, etc.

18. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Do you suppose the hooker would trade for these? :eek:

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Had a friend in Memphis who knew this pizza delivery guy, and well, some chicks really like pizzas, sposedly.

20. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I didn't even think about that :eek:

I wonder how the wife will feel with a Blondie wig, 8" stiletto's, black net stockings and spandex dress?