What will be the next US army rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mark_Van_Goth, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Rumors that the US army is undertaking test to replace the M16 and M4 are spreading around.Is it true?If yes, what are the rifles are being tested?What would be your choice and why?

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I wish it was the G36k, but that won't happen.

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Maybe they'll go with bidens idea and all be issued a double barrel shotgun

4. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Last story I heard it was going to be something in a 6.8mm round because the 5.56 although effective in close quarters(out to 300 yds) wasn't effective enough to deal with insurgents past that as in a permanent put down but in what configuration I'm not sure.

It looks like management has finally worked out that although carrying plenty of ammo is a good thing knockdown power is more important as I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with some insurgent that I've already hit once and then still have him still in the fight.

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I hear it is the new Swiss assault rifles....ok they may be a little older, but still Swiss made. ;) Here they are on display....

Attached Files:

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't see them changing it any time soon. What's out there that is much better than the m/4 that would justify changing.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

They will be changing to new production m4a4 in 5.56x45.

Nothing out there is fundamentally better on a strategic level.

If I was going to wave a wand and switch to a different system it would be scar16 and scar17 for a dmr

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Jon is correct. The military won't go away from 5.56 for the average soldier for a long time. It would just cost to much money. Same reasoning is why they won't go away from the M-16 platform as well. You see changes and updates and maybe from a different company but the cost to the military is to great to justify a massive change unless someone is able to reinvent the wheel.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What rumors, anyway?

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Old story and long dead. Enlighten the guys spreading this rumor.

The "improved carbine" tests were terminated last summer. The Army looked at brand new factory tuned piston ARs for general issue and found that they weren't significantly more reliable than old DI M4s pulled out of inventory. Something like 99.5% vs. 99% so why spend the money.

My choice of rifle? The Army made the right decision.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The rumors about new military rifles has been going around for ever. The Government changes arms about as often as Hally's Comet comes around. ;)

12. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Well...I'll tell you what I heard
    1)They will stick to the 5,56,
    2)The most probable candidate is in fact a piston-driven (short-stroke gas piston) AR
    3) They say it will probably be the HK 416, since ti is extremely reliable and accurate as a M16.The rifle can be operated as any other AR 15, HK made available a kit that makes it possible to turn your AR into a HK 416(upper receiver replacement) in a hurry.These factors whould make the army save a lot or money and time(training, production of a new platform, etc).
    5) A scar or any derivative of it would be too expensive(you shoul re-equip and retrain all your troops tp use a new platform)

6)Intersting but not directly related to this post: I've heard that army is working on a bullpup version of the m14, called bulldog 762.It seems that the seals has already used it in afghanistan.Is it true?

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. 11B3OJ3

11B3OJ3 New Member

Not happening any time soon. Military was testing various rifles (and pistols) for the last several years. Funding was cut last year and the Army went with some very basic upgrades to the current stock of M4s, not sure what the other services did but im sure its close to the same.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

They test new weapons systems all the time, thats not new, even the m4 wasnt all that new a design just decades worth of learning from the original AR frame. NATO nor our military budgets will be allowing for any huge shifts in light arms anytime soon, any investments in new will be geared towards unmanned defense, offense and observation or force protection with better vehicle and body armor not Crunchy Toys. Our current biggest threat is not a technologically advanced fighting force, its chicken Sh!ts with IED's and Snipers that hide in villages were trying to protect (I dont know why we would even try!!!).

Any major shift in long light arms will likely only come with an entire new platform and a variable fire and forget projectile that cant even be called a bullet anymore. Nano tech and other miniaturization capabilities are coming of age and Dick Tracy Hardware isnt out of our reach anymore!

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

As a taxpayer I sure hope not. The armed forces has plenty of weapons for specialized roles and will continue to acquire them as needed. The original M16 platform has evolved and morphed into a very fine weapon for most, not all, uses.

The years of what Ike correctly tagged the 'military industrial complex' have created a lot of waste and unnecessary spending. We need to spend our defense dollars wisely and make sure there are enough $$ leftover to take care of those that take care of us.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

For all Internet flak the AR has taken, it may actually outlive the AK as a modern military rifle. I get to read some quotes. The Russian Defense Minister himself has referred to the AK as technically and morally obsolete.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

none of it is true. its all internet mall ninja wishful thinking. actual tests by the dod proved that piston driven m16/ar15 are NOT more reliable than direct impinge driven m16/ar15. they are about the same. since di is cheaper to build and easier to maintain there will be no switch ever to piston driven m16 platform.

the m16 already has. the soviets are phasing out and have been phasing out the ak47 for a 5.45 cartridge since the 80's. the soviet military almost never totally shelves anything so it wiulll be quite a while before the ak47 totally leaves soviet service.

until someone invents a cheaper more compact lighter means of deleviring lethal energy to a target for war purposes the 5.56 m4 carbine is going to be in the hands of our troops

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

There is NO plans to replace the 5.56 NATO or the M16/M4..............

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Seems like a new thread asking about this gets started once every couple weeks.

Everyone saying that they're keeping the M16 / M4 is correct.

All this is public information. And a little research into reputable sources goes a long way.