What will be the next C&R rifle?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JayCody, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Is the mosin nagant the last c&r rifle, since most of the modern military rifles are Full auto? what will be the next c&r rifle, perhaps a mil surp semi auto m16?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

C&R refers to ALL guns (excluding NFA) that are a certain age old (IIRC, 50 years), not just milsurps. So no, the Mosin is FAR from the last C&R. Most of the guns being made today will eventually fall into that category unless the laws change. A Remington 700 made today? It will be a C&R in 50 years.

From the ATF website.
    Now then, as for military C&R, the answer is still no. There are still semi auto and bolt action rifles (not to mention shotguns and handguns) being used by forces all around the world.

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Sorry I meant milsurp, I should have been more clear. Can you name some of them?

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We are nearing the end with the importation of Mosin-Nagants and SKS Communist Block firearms. The Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Colts, Lugers Walthers the trophys of wars past are about gone. The Anti-Military arms laws following the Kennedy assassination will also limit many future imports.
    There are hundreds of M-1 Carbines and Garands being held up by the Democratic controlled Congress and Obama.:(

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

For starters...

Beretta M9
    SIG Sauer M11
    Colt 1911

Mossberg 500
    Mossberg 590
    Remington 870
    Benelli M4

M40
    M39 EMR
    M25
    M24
    M21 SWS

6. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

I believe all the arsenals and armories in the world have been scavanged for old guns. I don't think there are any C&R type guns in quantity left to be imported. Class 3 guns will never be allowed to be imported.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Fact Brother. Korea wants to give them back. Something like 1 Million total.

Problem is C&R is not 50 years. It is when they are obsolete. The only firearms that are a sure thing are ones made before 1898 or ones that are on the C&R list, listed by the ATF. The issue with more modern rifles, is that the receiver needs to be replaced to make it normal person legal. Having changed the receiver makes it ineligible for C&R. If you take the 50 year rule literally a pre 1964 M70, should be C&R. It will never happen.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The SKS. It has never been select fire.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

Yep. It's gotta be on their list for it to be C&R.

10. jpattersonnh

It is on the list

11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You mean now? I can have it shipped to me with a C&R license?

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I suspect that the large arms manufacturers like FN who control the worlds flow of arms are opposed. FN owns Browning and Winchester and many military arms producers.
    Back in the 1960s the big arms merchants lobbied against surplus arms importation. Senators from Mass., Conn., were anti-gun but protected the UAW members who worked at Remington and Colt etc. These creeps led by Senator Dodds blocked arms importation. This battle over Milsurp is nothing new.:confused:

13. jpattersonnh

Yes, you are all set. Notice the FFL 03
    https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html

I still wish those 1 million M1 garands and carbines could hit our shores from Korea. I'd like a carbine.
    FN made a semi auto FAL for the Brits, they used them in the Falklands war, they are 100% legal to own as the fire control group is different then the auto version. We will never see them here as a C&R.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Thanks! I thought somehow the SKS would be still excluded. One ATF provision bugs me however, that a museum curator or such must declare it a historic value. Has the SKS been declared as such? If so, no problem. But between us ok? It's no Mosin or a Mauser or an M1. Excellent rifle but it's historic value is insignificant.

15. jpattersonnh

If you can get your hands on a Soviet made SK, you might be amazed at its' accuracy. It is highly under rated.

16. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Not underrated by me. I dig. It is not however what makes a rifle C&R, perhaps the opposite. The other question for you is this: WHERE ARE THE BUNS!?

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Any non-NFA gun that is 50 years old is C&R eligible.

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Eligible, not certified. For that it also must derive most of its value from its historic significance (read: not from being a practical firearm). There is also something about experts or museum curators rendering such opinion. For the exact language see the ATF website.

19. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Yes, certified if it is 50 years old or older. ANY non NFA gun at least 50 years old is AUTOMATICALLY a C&R firearm.
    Any gun under 50 needs to be certified by BATF. A gun with special historical value, for example, can be certified C&R by BATF.
    Please don't make it more complicated than it is.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

This is correct. I looked it up again. It says
    Glad I was mistaken on this.