What was your first rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 7point62, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just curious. I suspect most cut their teeth with a 22. I went from Daisy pump to a Sears bolt-action single-shot when I was 9. It was beautifully accurate, great irons, I killed hundreds of squirrels.

2. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

My first real rifle that wasn't an air rifle and belonged to me personally was my Savage 7mm08. I did most of my learning on my air rifles, and started out deer hunting with a Winchester model 94 30-30 that was my grandfather's, until my parents bought me the Savage. The 30-30 is mine now too.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The first rifle I ever owned was a 30-06. The first gun besides a bb/pellet gun was a 12ga Winchester 1300 I bought(that's right, I saved my money and bought it myself) at the ripe old age of 12. It was right before Christmas so my dad bought me a hard case for it. Last year I pulled the gun out to go shoot and the original reciept fell out....took me back.

I was shooting my dad's 22 before then. A Marlin model 80 that belonged to my great grandfather before he passed.

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Ha ha, AR15 chambered in .223, I have only been into shooting rifles for a few years now. Been shooting handguns for six years or so.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

.22 single shot, bolt action for Christmas when i was six. Went outside with Dad & capped a squirrel with a .22 short, first shot about three minutes after opening the rifle. I found out later, much later, that the rifle was bought used from a guy Dad knew through his work; years later, my sister married the seller's nephew, small world.

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

My first rifle was a 30-06 too. Before that I had a crossman pump BB gun.

7. DPSTX

DPSTX New Member

The rifle I learned to shoot with over 35 years ago, (my Mom's Rem model 4) Rolling block single shot. Still shoots like a dream.....
    [​IMG]

My first "self-owned" gun was my Win 37 20ga shotgun)

The first Rifle I ever bought, 1973 Win 70A .243. purchased used about 1979.
    [​IMG]

DPSTX

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i was 5 or 6 i got a black plastic m16 for xmas it shot sparks out the end when you pulled the trigger.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

My first rifle or gun of any kind was a Remington model 514. From the time I was big enough to carry responsibly it "the rifle" was mine. Naturally this was after a strict training and safety course my mom & dad did themselves. The 1st centerfire was a Savage model 340 in .222 with a Weaver K6 for a 12th birthday present.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not grow up with firearms. The first rifle or firearm for that mater, I fired was the M1 Carbine in the AF. The first rifle I bought was a Marlin 336T in 35 Rem in Alaska. A Mossberg bolt in 22mag followed and then a custom 308 Norma Magnum also in Alaska. I found out how big moose and bears are.:eek:
    I could not hunt the first year but I used to go hiking. Some of the guys I hiked with carried 44 mag pistols. I was advised not to trust the power of the pistol so I got a light rifle. The 35 Rem with a 200 gr bullet has over twice the power of the 44 mag. I later got a 12 guage pump with a cut down barrel and carried slugs.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

First rifle I got was a Remington 511X 22 lr. The first rifle I paid for was my Rem 700 VLS in 223.

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

marlin glenfield m20 .22s-l-lr bolt action rifle that i got for my 12th christmas.

13. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

My first rifle was a Crosman .22 cal CO2 pellet. A couple of years later a Stevens Model 15 .22 single shot which is in my gun safe.

14. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

i grew up with military weapons sent home in WW2 along with some other collectable types, us kids got to pick one out that was ours. I moved after high school and couldnt take mine with me and my older brother sold the entire collection years later to build his house, i kick myself in the butt when I think about it. It was a museum quality 1860 Henry repeating rifle with a brass frame. I guess other than that it would be a winchester 94 i got in my jr year of high school.

15. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

I learned to shoot with a win model 67, and a rem nylon 66 -butt load model.

16. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

My first actual rifle that was given to me was a winchester model 310 .22. The first one I bought with my own money well dad actualy bought cause I was 14 was a 6.5 carcono out of an oak barrell at a local sporting goods store. I tell that story to my kids and they laugh because everything now is under lock and key behind a counter.

17. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Golden 39A 22lr. Still shoots the thumb tacks off the paper at 50yds. No clue how many 1000 rounds have gone thru it. Front sight sucks but very accurate.

18. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

first rifle

First rifle, was a Remington mdl 510 single shot. I shot .22 shorts in only. But it was accurate. When two years of drough lost us all our crops we had to sell everything to pay or bills. My Remington went on the Auction block to. I have since bought three of the little Remingtons just to have them. However I did let my students in the Hunter Safety Class use them. My first big game rifle was an old sporterized British 303. Ugly gun and shot a foot high. But I got my first deer ever with it.
    I have a complete collection of British rifles now including a #4 like the one I used to have.
    Sarge

19. fireguy

fireguy New Member

First rifle was a Marlin Glenfield model 60 with the squirrel and rabbit stamped on the comb in 72 or 73 paid for with paper route money. I still have it and can't think of any reason to get rid of it. It has killed a bunch of bunnies and shot down some sapliings in contests we used to have as kids. I wouldn't know how many thousand rounds have been through it.

20. colmustard

colmustard New Member

My first rifle was a henry .22lr lever rifle. Still have it and still shoot it!:)