Firearms Talk banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts
My best training was in the UCMC several decades ago.

I own Greensboro Sand & Gravel at Greensboro Indiana and I have property that would be ideal for a great training range and I have all the needed equipment to make it happen. I am 35 miles east of Indianapolis Indiana and about 55 miles west of Dayton Ohio so thare is great potential for customers ( I am 2 miles off Interstate 70 )

If any of you know of anyone interested I would consider a long term lease or a partnership with the right group.

Check out Google earth at 30 degrees 51'25.09" north 85 degrees 28'54.60" west and review the site.

Natural back stops up to 50" high and side berms 35' to 50' high - - - I'm 64 and just don't have the fire in my belly anymore to start another venture but would love to see it happen!

Submarine Qualifications; The training you must pass on every boat you ride. Designated with a (SS) after your rank, and the right to wear the Dolphins on your chest.

A good 'sub driver' (Captain) will pin them on you up-side-down at your "Qual Ceremony". The true way to earn them right-side-up is to attend the second "Qual Ceremony" on the beach.

Ask me about that ceremony sometime!
I would LOVE to hear about that ceremony!
These things are obsolete by our standards. :( When I received my dolphins, I was told that any incidence of hazing would result in immediate NJP. This was; of course, meant to be a lesson on "don't tell ME what they do when you get your Dolphins". This was about 15 years ago. Being the firearm enthusiast I am, by the time I was out of BESS and A School, I already had my shooting medals behind me and was champing at the bit during range quals. Christmas came every 6 months for me in Submarine duty and that was when we were taken to Little Creek Amphib base to do gun quals! I have no idea how politically correct this has become in in the last 5 or so years with Obama in Command.

BOT. The most valuable training I ever received to date was my NRA Certified Instructor training. It is very basic compared to the high dollar tactical pistol/carbine/shotgun/survival defense classes that are being highly sought by advanced students. Our Instructor Counselor was not a "pay it, take it, make it" guy. We lost 1/3 of the students to attrition before the range qual evaluations. Some of these individuals were advanced shooters but never got the opportunity to make it to the range to qualify on the last day.

I've been through plenty of the other "firearms training" but it does not teach you the proper way to handle a student. I ultimately learned more when I realized it was time to slow down from the "low drag, high speed" to learn to lead more by example. These days, I have become very conscious of more than just how quick I can acquire a "bad guy" target. Of course, I would not trade my defensive firearms training off either. Especially when it comes down to situational awareness vs being able to impress people with tactical gymnastics.

It depends on what your 'goal' is when it comes to training. I have had hundreds if not thousands of hours of firearms training in my 6+ decades on this earth and I really can't say what is best except that, as one poster said, COMBAT!
But what I do think is important in the real world is to tailor the training, as I said above , to the intended goal.
I have been teaching an 'Armed Self Defense' class for about 20 years and it is not a 'marksmanship' class. The goal is to train people to 'survive' an attack by a criminal. As LEO's we not only have to survive but we MUST 'prevail' so the training is completely different.
I teach 'civilians' to use a firearm up close and personal, which is what 99+% if criminal attacks, both inside and out side the home result in.
I have taken total non shooters and some very accomplished shooter and run them through this training and the results were the same, confidence!!!
I teach safety, legal aspects, equipment requirement, basic tactics, fending and point shooting.
The results are unbelievable! My course is a 'base' course which will get people started. They can continue on there own by practice or go a on to more 'specialized' training.
Just be careful out there! There is a lot of training, including what the NRA does, that will get you hurt or killed in an 'up close and personal' confrontation!!!

Best training I ever had was doing what it took to earn my Eagle Scout award. Everything outdoors, everything survival and camping, how to cook out, handle a canoe, handle a sailboat, fishing, build shelters, and some firearms and archery training as well.

USMC. I don't regard myself to be any kinda "highly trained" gun guru, but I have successfully defended myself with a handgun 7 times in civilian life (I have lived in some ungodly environments), so I guess the Marine Corps training was adequate. I also don't remember ever being scared to the point of panic during the incidents. Who knows, if I'd ever gone to a school where I had to memorize cute-looking procedures, I may have had a memory failure when the SHTF. The classes may be "fun", but in an emergency you have to keep your wits and react according to what is happening rather than trying to apply a memorized procedure.

Storm Mountain Precision Rifle 1. It took me from being a 100 yard paper puncher to hitting steel at 800 yards in 2 1/2 days . I was shooting a used remington 5R .308 with nothing really special either.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.