Firearms Talk banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts
I have taken several coarses in tatics with a pistol and I have to say the best instruction and training I have had so far has been with Bank Miller. He covered everything from snap shooting, nite shooting, shooting while on the move, including backing away, laying on your side, etc, etc. I was one whiped puppy when I was finished. I have trained with several others and they were very well also and added to feeding my real weapon (my brain). I was just wondering what others favorite trainer/school has been and why? I apologize if this topic has be talked to death already and it is locked by the admins.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Massad Ayoob's LFI 1 has been my best, but not only, training.
His course prepares you for the realities of the aftermath of a self defense encounter better than any other I've seen.

Biker

The best firearms training I have had so far has to be Special Reaction Team (SWAT for the military). Shot something like 5k rounds in two weeks.

But I am in charge of the engagement skills trainer at my base so I get to practice shooting techniques without buying a single round. The EST system is a big video game for the military that simulates weapons we use everyday. Trigger pull, trigger reset, recoil is all the same as if you are shooting the real thing.

my best training? Dad.

0311 infantry, jungle warfare instructor of small unit guerrilla operations. he was MARSOC before there was one. once i turned 12 all the way up till i joined the marines that man taught me everything i know. major park by our house closed at 11pm. he would take me out at 2am and teach me night movement, recon operations, tracking, evade and escape, and not to mention stalking park rangers on foot patrol. of course we never made full contact, but if we did i could only imagine the legal ramifications, but he always told me the whole point is to not get caught in the first place. thank god none of them had the idea to turn around.

kudos on the quote Cory, i concur in a sense.

The best training I ever had was at the range with a friend of mine instructing me (Former Marine Range Master/ Instructor).
But the best learning I've ever had was when I had a BG come through the door at 4am one morning.
Everything I thought I knew/ learned went right out the window and I did just enough to survive. No fancy shooting position's, no footwork, no proper sight alignment.
Just a point and shoot then dial 911 once the BG was gone.
Turned out that both rounds went into the doorjam next to him and not into him.

Punching paper is no substitute for what really happens.

Combination of military and outsourced companies that the military used to train me. Gryphon Group and LMS Defense are two that I have been through with my current unit. Hated and loved them at the same time.
Gyphon Group; I didn't like the pepper spray...major suckfest. I enjoyed learning how to uparmor vehicles with easily accessible items, avoidance driving, etc.
LMS Defense; two weeks of hell. Full battle rattle and operating under extreme stressors to ingrain muscle memory.

It seems that the best training is often the first. The basics are the basics. The icing on the cake (and that needs to be constantly refreshed) is the more advanced training from people like Clint Smith, Massad Ayoob, and all the greats.

Work requires I carry shotgun

My employer requires Bear awareness instruct training, (1 day course) Tested
a firarms course in the firearm were issued instruct (1 day) Tested
Annual firearms qualification of the Rem 870 slug shotgun on stationary target and charging bear target, use of bean bag round, cracker shell, and 2.3/4" 1 oz Brennike slug's. (tested)

Mine was:

Rangemaster/Tom Givens out of Memphis, TN/www.Rangemaster.com

Combative Pistol, Two-Day
This is an intensive weekend course that covers all of the essential skills involved in fighting with a handgun. There is an all day session Saturday and Sunday, plus an evening session on Saturday.

Topics covered in this course will include:

Rapid presentation from concealed carry
Effective gunhandling techniques, designed to work under stress
Rapid reloading techniques
Movement skills, including effectively engaging targets on the move
Disability drills, including drawing and reloading with one hand
Precision shooting at mid-ranges
Effective scanning techniques, locating additional threats
Low light firing techniques, both with/without a flashlight
Proper defensive mindset and more.
Expect to fire about 800-1000 rounds of ammunition.

and

Tactical Response/James Yeager out of Camden, TN/www.TacticalResponse.com and Login To: GetOffTheX Forums

Fighting Pistol

2 Days

Details:

The root word to "gunfight" isn't "gun".

It is "FIGHT"!

Topics include the role and attributes of the handgun, legal aspects of deadly force, anatomical stopping power, mental conditioning for combat, movement and communication. Live fire drills include both one- and two-handed shooting, shooting on the move, use of cover and concealment, loading and reloading, using both eye level as well as retention techniques, at a variety of ranges and from a variety of body positions. This course is about 40% lecture on mindset, tactics, skill, and legal issues but don’t worry because you will still be shooting a minimum of 750 rounds while you are on the range!

We respectfully request that students have read "The Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper before attending class. If possible we also recommend “Surgical Speed Shooting” by our friend Andy Stanford. These and many other items from our gear list are available at Tactical Response Gear

For more information about our classes and to read hundreds of student reviews loaded with pictures and video clips join our web forum Login To: GetOffTheX Forums . You can also see us on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. just search for “Tactical Response”.

Mine was:

Rangemaster/Tom Givens out of Memphis, TN/www.Rangemaster.com

Combative Pistol, Two-Day
This is an intensive weekend course that covers all of the essential skills involved in fighting with a handgun. There is an all day session Saturday and Sunday, plus an evening session on Saturday.

Topics covered in this course will include:

Rapid presentation from concealed carry
Effective gunhandling techniques, designed to work under stress
Rapid reloading techniques
Movement skills, including effectively engaging targets on the move
Disability drills, including drawing and reloading with one hand
Precision shooting at mid-ranges
Effective scanning techniques, locating additional threats
Low light firing techniques, both with/without a flashlight
Proper defensive mindset and more.
Expect to fire about 800-1000 rounds of ammunition.

and

Tactical Response/James Yeager out of Camden, TN/www.TacticalResponse.com and Login To: GetOffTheX Forums

Fighting Pistol

2 Days

Details:

The root word to "gunfight" isn't "gun".

It is "FIGHT"!

Topics include the role and attributes of the handgun, legal aspects of deadly force, anatomical stopping power, mental conditioning for combat, movement and communication. Live fire drills include both one- and two-handed shooting, shooting on the move, use of cover and concealment, loading and reloading, using both eye level as well as retention techniques, at a variety of ranges and from a variety of body positions. This course is about 40% lecture on mindset, tactics, skill, and legal issues but don’t worry because you will still be shooting a minimum of 750 rounds while you are on the range!

We respectfully request that students have read "The Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper before attending class. If possible we also recommend “Surgical Speed Shooting” by our friend Andy Stanford. These and many other items from our gear list are available at Tactical Response Gear

For more information about our classes and to read hundreds of student reviews loaded with pictures and video clips join our web forum Login To: GetOffTheX Forums . You can also see us on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. just search for “Tactical Response”.

I thought I knew how to shoot a rifle until I joined the army and they told me I could get all the free training I wanted so I did I joined special forces and that is some training I will never forget

Us Army with M1 in the dark ages and more recently at an Appleseed shoot

My own ranges, by myself, shooting small targets... Much like today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J2XqmBC8E"]2 Hits, 2 Inches, 400 Yards[/ame]

I always learn something; usually about making better quality ammo.

"Aim small, miss small."

In a nutyshell:
I wasn't born with a gun in my hand, like most European (we do not have the same gun culture as our overseas cousins)
Although where I'm from the've been making guns long before the birth of the US, they just make it very difficult to own one.
My first training was plinking a .22 longrifle in the fields of my grandfather.
Martial arts training teached me the warrior mindset which is in my opinoin the best caracteristic to survive armed or unarmed combat.
Then army (basics)
PMC training (must better then basics, training in SIDECAR, ASAX,... others and eventualy becoming instructor)
On the job training (getting shot at and seeing gunshotwounds first hand was an eye opener, all the training and still getting scared)
Developping own technics and teaching them (best exprience, the feedback teaches you alot)

Still learning and developping new things

I have been fortunate to receive training from some very good instructors, and have had the opportunity to work alongside some excellent instructors who I have learned from as well.

I have to give credit to the instructors at the ACSO Training Center which is where I went for my Firearms Instructor and Patrol Rifle Instructor training. The instructors there are OUTSTANDING!

Bank Miller taught two of the classes I attended at the LETC in Utah, and I agree with the OP, Bank is a great instructor...for any of the LE Instructors I highly recommend the LETC Action Target puts on. I hope to go again next year.

The NRA Tactical Firearms Instructor Course was outstanding, and really concentrated on improving our skill as instructors. I really want to attend some of the other NRA courses as well.

The NTOA Active Shooter Instructor and Simunitions Supervisor training courses were very well presented, really concentrated on safety, and performance objectives.

I have a coupon to attend a four day course at Front Site, have heard mixed reviews on their training...but I hope to get up there in the spring.

ArizonaLawman said:
Thunder Ranch in Texas, and again in Oregon. Clint and Heidi are personal friends now, and Clint is the best no BS teacher on the planet.

Mas Ayoob with LFI I&II for post critical incident survival (courtroom survival and the legal aspects of lethal force).

I have been to Gunsite twice, also...but consider it more of a shooting staycation than the training center it once was. Very dogmatic, and VERY "do t this way or you're wrong" attitude.
What would you recommend for a first timer? Mas Ayoob or Thunder Ranch? I am in Virginia, so Mas's traveling show would work better, but am willing to pay more if Thunder Ranch is a better value. It seems as though you get more shooting with Thunder Ranch than Mas's course, although Mas has more classroom stuff.

When we got reorganized in 86, we became Light Infantry. First we had the 1 year Light Fighter Course, Then every NCO had to take the Light Leaders Course. Both were challenging and stressful for 90% of us who were Signal Soldiers, MPS and Supply.

The light Leaders Course Culminated in AP HILL VA. That was one of the nastiest places we had ever trained and Fort Drum isnt what you would call a cake walk by any measure.

Venomous Snakes, Ticks, Chiggers and swamps everywhere! They beat us hard for 3 weeks and we all learned we had much to learn.

Favorite parts were a demo range where we were each given 2 pallets of C4, Dynamite, Blasting Caps, 100 MPH Tape, rolls of Fuse and Detcord and a whole day of blowing stuff up. It was awesome!!! Second favorite part was hitchhiking out of AP Hill with a buddy of mine to VA Beach for some fun in the sun!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.