What was the best thing you found?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by stag556, Jun 11, 2013.

1. stag556

stag556 New Member

For me I just recently moved into my grandparents old house. As I am starting to clean out 65 years of accumulations I have found a 5 gallon bucket of pennies, and old Miller paraphernalia from the 60's and 70's. (Grandpa worked for Miller Brewing for 40+ years). Besides the old photos its interesting to see what your kin decided was worth holding on to.

So what's your best find?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

A K'Bar Pocket Knife belonging to my Grandpa!

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

How much does that bucket weigh?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Pennies made within a certain time frame were almost pure copper.

I can't formally and publicly condone damaging US currency, as I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but I'll say that if maybe they were accidentally dropped into a smelter and made into ingots, they would be worth much more than their face value.

5. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

What I found...

My Grandad's Purple Heart he recieved during WW2 (Battle of the Bulge) while cleaning out Grandma's homestead..... He never even mentioned it while alive.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

My grandfathers brother in law made replica Kentucky Long rifles. I'm still talking with my family about getting the one that my recently deceased grandfather owned but it's awesome just knowing that my family has a history of making civil war replica rifles.

7. stag556

stag556 New Member

Guessing around forty plus pounds the handle is broken off so I never weighed it or anything, but its heavy. There all divided up in bags by the year and the and letter, one bag is all 1972 and the letter p and one bag is all 1972 and the letter s and so forth. Maybe someone who collects or knows about coins can shed some light as to why. I called my dad to let him know and he said to keep looking as he is sure there should be boxes of silver coins hidden as well.

8. rurak

rurak New Member

It is definitely illegal to scrap currency. Copper is going for 3 $ a pound give or take where I am

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My wife in the house where her parents lived.

10. ndfi78

ndfi78 New Member

Wow, that is awesome

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not me- a find by my Stepmother. She was raised by grandparents. After Granny (a devout 7th day Adventist from back in the hills on the VA/NC border) passed away, stepmom was packing up and clearing stuff out. Found a trunk in the attic that had belonged to GREAT grandmother.

Who, as it turned out, had been a mail order bride. And had been married 3 times before that! AND had been a dance hall girl. AND one of the items in the trunk was one of these...
    baby hammerless.jpg

THAT is a Baby Hammerless- caliber .22 Short. 1 inch bbl. There was a half box of black powder 22 ammo with it.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

many years ago, my father bought about 400 acres of land that we found a bunch of neat stuff on it. he has a few hundred of the old glass insulators they used on the old wooden crossbarred power line poles. some are clear and some are a green colored glass. there was an old log horse barn with a loft and we found a huge bunch of old horseshoes. there was an old shotgun style house that we found a bunch of old newspapers from the 1940's. there was an old pecan tree that had a hickory tree grafted onto it. wee found some old, old logging equipment down in the bottoms. some type of old crawler tractor and an old logging truck from the 1950's IIRC.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Pennies before 1982 were 95% copper (except for the steel ones produced during WW2) There are some that have numismatic (collector) value. Take a look her for some general info- http://www.coinflation.com/about.html

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Axxe 55, There were miles of old decommissioned wooden electric poles across the high desert. They were all left with the big glass insulators on the cross arms. They made wonderful targets for my .220 Swift when the Prairie Dogs holed up.:D

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh. If anybody has found my marbles please contact me. :eek:

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Those are all over the country, not just the high desert. I often wonder why they are still there nowadays as the lines have long ago been decommissioned and the glass has collector value (not sure how much though) and I imagine that the wire has a high copper content. I see those poles all along all of the rail rights of way pretty much everywhere. I imagine these are actually old telegraph poles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I found my grandpas licence plate off his Indian motorcycle, and that was after the house had been through severalnon family owners. I found my greatx3 uncles tomahawk/hatchet, and an old broken file that I made a knife from. A few nice arrowheads have found their way to my eyes.

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Those old wires, weather they be single conductor signal wire or 2 conductor "C" Rural wire, are usually copper doped steel wire. Not worth much.

The poles that are left up are usually still in a utility easment even though they are not being used. Also, the easement may be being used with undeground cables or may be used again in the future.

The glass insulators are the only thing that may be worth anything, but get caught climbing those poles and retrieving them or the wire without a utility company work order and it's jail time. Actually if they catch you shooting at them it can be jail time as well. Utility companies and railroads are strange that way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A Winchester 1895.... It was sitting in pieces in the back of a closet...