Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 381 Posts
An H&R 20ga. single shot my Dad bought for me when I was about 12.

In College (1962) a friend bought a "six shooter" and I was so jealous that I went out and bought a Ruger .22 auto. I had it for about 20 years and traded it for a small wood stove for my hunting blind. Have bought many guns since then, mostly pistols and got my deer last November with a .44 mag. Lots of fun.

The first REAL firearm, that was ALL mine, was a Winchester Model 12, 20ga. my Father gave me for Christmas when I was 13, BEST Christmas EVER! That was over 50 years ago, it's in MINT condition, I still have it and will till I die!

In 1951, I was nineteen, in the Navy and just made a member of an air crew in my patrol squadron VP-871. They issued me a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber Police Special that I carried in a shoulder holster.

Not once during that first Korean War tour did I have to draw that weapon in anger.

When not flying, I would practice handling and shooting the revolver as often as I could. Although I got fairly accurate with this revolver, I never developed the skills then that I did in later life as a civilan.

Nevertheless, I fondly remember that .38 because it awakened in me a life-long love of firearms.

20 ga Revelation 3 shot bolt action shotgun. My mother bought it for my 16th Christmas gift. After my father died, she was looking for a chance to find a "mentor" and thought that hunting or shooting clays might do it. The salesmen at the Western Auto told her that a bolt action shotgun was the "preferred" gun for skeet. Either he never shot clay or he just wanted to make the sale I don't know but I never used it for that purpose. Later, I took a fare number of pheasant. I still have it, though the sear is warn and will discharge if it is dropped on the butt.

What was your first gun and how old were ya? Just curious...can't wait to hear from the old heads :p...and do u still use em?

@TooStrongTerry
Marlin .22 Model 60 for my 13th birthday that my parents got me back when Americans were able to buy guns through the mail.

After the obligatory Red Rider Carbine BB gun, guess I was about 12 - that'd been around 1950. A JC Higgins .22 semi rifle. Dad kept the ammo in his dresser but I knew where it was. Scared many a squirrel with that old gun. Sure wish I'd kept it.

A H&R 410 single shot was my first gun and I was 10. I was an adult before I a got a rifle. We were a bird hunting family. I guess my first rifle was a Remington pump (740?) in 308 Winchester. Quickly sold and replaced by a custom 257 Roberts built on a Mauser 98 action with a PO Ackley barrel. My brother still has that one.

I is

A 1886 Winchester 45-90! It was bought new by my great grandfather in south Dakota, and has been passed to the first son for the last three generations! I still have it and when I die it will go to the Winchester meusem, (can't spell the word right!):) Doug

P.S.: I shot my first deer with it when I was 8 years old! DA

41 - 60 of 381 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.