What type of bullet causes this kind of damage?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by starviego, May 7, 2012.

1. starviego

starviego New Member

The trial of Norway mass killer Anders Breivik is now in its third week. I caught this quote by the autopsy surgeon and I was wondering if anybody has a guess on what type of ammo he was using and if it was 'legal' ammo or some special forces -type round?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.aftenposten.no/
    Behring Breivik used three types of ammunition for semi-automatic rifles. Two of ammunition types were designed to create the largest possible damage.
    - This creates thousands of tiny metal fragments - that can not be seen with the naked eye, said (Professor Torleiv)Rognum. ... Most victims were hit by 2-3 shots.

A 'frangible' slug comes to mind. Can members of the ammo-buying public even access this kind of stuff?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes- but the "thousands of particles" is hyperbole.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

A lot of doctors especially in europe are anti gun and prefer treating victims of violent crime rather than treating the criminal for gunshot wounds created by the victim.

So every bullet even a pellet from a red ryder bb gun is an explosive frangible tank killing round suitable only for firing at battleships...

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably just regular hollow points, that the good doctor isn't familiar with since the police and security forces over their use FMJ.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Btw the 12ga pdx1 has a 1oz frangible slug. And yes you can git it at Walmart.

7. locutus

But can you get it at Wal-Mart in Oslo??:D

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I believe that killer was using a Mini-14. In Europe I think they are .222 Rem. caliber, but that round and the U.S. equivalent in .223 Rem. travel at 3,000+ fps at the muzzle. A hollow point or soft tip traveling that fast at impact will shatter into many small pieces.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

They make the microscopic frangibles to fight germs. One round kills more germs than a whole damn bottle of bleach........ and without the nasty smell.

10. 1hole

1hole New Member

Metal particles too tiny to be seen by eye don't have enough mass to penatrate anything so they can't harm anyone.

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, there is a "powdered" core bullet, made by DRT. Maybe that's what they are referring to?

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Damn, interesting stuff there.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Expensive too!

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Read up on it a bit, 9mm failed to expand through 7 sheets of OSB board, water jugs etc. ballistics gel though made one hell of a wound channel. I'll stick to my HPs.

15. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There is no point in manufacturing a round that has "microscopic" particles in it. Each round or fraction thereof has to be large enough to create a temporary stretch cavity and a permanent crush cavity at least 7" deep, preferably 9-11" to produce the trauma to stop an assailant. Microscopic particles would not have any energy to dump into the target and would not create the wound channels needed. Even size #6 or #7 birdshot can fail to stop out of a 12 ga shotgun, and it is several thousand times bigger than "microscopic.". This sounds like european prejudice against any firearm round and I would imagine it was a standard frangible round or a Glaser Safety Slug at best.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah, I have no intention of buying it either.

17. locutus

The newscast I saw said he was using a semi-auto 9MM pistol.

18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Well, it seems he used both a 9mm Glock pistol and the Mini-14 rifle:

"As he continued his rampage, first with a Glock pistol and then a rifle, he said young people were literally ‘paralysed with fear and begging for their lives’. "

Details of the weapons he obtained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

and details of the attack with picture of the attacker and his Mini-14:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132656/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norway-killer-recounts-Utoya-island-massacre-horrifying-detail.html

The guy is nuts for sure! :mad:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  19. locutus

I stand corrected!:p