What type of action would this gun be?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SDJonathan, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

Hey, not entirely sure if this is the right area to ask this, but it's the closest I could find.

Suppose that a rifle, between shots, had to have the next bullet fed into it from the magazine via the push of a button distinct from the trigger. Apart from that, the rifle is ready to fire once that next bullet is fed in. From what I've been able to tell, it doesn't qualify as semi-auto, so I'm wondering what the correct term would be.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pictures are worth a thousand words. names and markings as well as any numbers with clear pictures would help us help you.

3. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

I apologize for not clarifying, this gun does not exist. It's a fictional heavy-duty sniper rifle wielded by a professional monster slayer in a book I'm writing, and this monster slayer needs to be able to switch between shooting wooden bullets and silver bullets, along with others, on the fly, since he deals with so many different types of monsters. Hence he has a rifle that's fed by four separate magazines, and buttons on the handle let him choose which type of bullet the next shot is going to be.

4. Axxe55

sorry, but i try and deal with real firearms and not mythical ones. make something up like other writers do.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I think he is contemplating an invention and wants to know if a magazine that requires an additional action to load the next round would still be legally defined as semi-automatic. I would guess not, just as magazine fed bolt actions are not semi-automatic. But I expect the inventor of such a mechanism could name it. Perhaps "delayed action" or "triple-action."

6. Axxe55

he's writing a book. the gun is fictional. books, tv and movies, they can make any kind of gun do anything.

7. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

So something like this wouldn't meet the definition of any existing type of action? That's good to know, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just make up something, and those two are good ideas. Mind if I use them?

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

To whom would I address this to:

Can we get some additional smileys on this forum? Some forums have a much wider range. Right now, a head shaking smiley is what I'd like.:)

9. MisterMcCool

Alright by me.

10. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

Well yeah, but I'm just looking to know what this fictional gun would be defined as. The narrative describes the gun in detail and I want to make sure the description makes sense, so I was trying to figure out what the term would be for this. Apparently there is no term for something like this, so I guess I will be making something up though.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Why doesn't he just use a pump shotgun, like a Remington 870?

They're easy to feed while loading and shooting, and 12 gauge

gives you a world of store bought loads, and loadable stuff

customize-able for any need or want.

12. hoovco

hoovco New Member

You have like 20 posts and they're all about fake guns, fairies, monsters and other silly nonsense. This is a forum for actual firearms.

13. MisterMcCool

So he pushes a button to select the projectile to be chambered? Automatic artillery

14. MisterMcCool

He has been a member longer than any of us.

15. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you really are a writer, then use your creativity. If you already know what real actions are out there, then you should be able to classify your imaginary one.
    ct

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You might try self loading - in German, that is selbstlade.

Or call it Select Fed (SF?) or MS (Magazine Select)

No, there is no action of that type I know of- but there are two that would be close.

First would be the older Savage .22 rifles known as "gill guns" or "clickclacks". When fired, it ejected the fired casing, did not load next round until you squeeze trigger. Hence distinctive sound.

Other is the 25m Chain Gun on the M2/M3 Bradley. Two magazine feeds permit gunner to flick switch, change from anti-personnel to anti-vehicle rounds.

So it does not exist. Big whoop. Neither do Zombies and werewolves/ vampires- but a hell of a lot of people enjoy reading about them. Just be sure to include the switch that deposits a drop of garlic extract onto the bullet before firing (vampires, y'know...):p

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

This action would be called the Semi-Lock-Back-Bolt,-Ever-Ready. The SLoBBER is a unique action used by the Droolings that invaded Salivatia in the late 19th Century. The Salivatian Army adopted the SloBBER. Many soldiers died during the failed dry-fire training exercises. It was near impossible to dry-fire the SLoBBER.

The main feature that led to it's demise was the time required for push button to release the SLoBBER. Everyone knows that the release of SLoBBER when a button is pushed was perfected by the Pavlovians, which was nearly instantaneous.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The SLoBBER was the designation only for the Mk 1.

The Mark II was given the designation of Semi Auto Loading Individual Vampire Autoranging Termination Equipment. The problem of dry firing the SALIVATE was remedied by installing a holder on the stock for a wedge of lemon.

Of course, the British version used a slice of lime....

*note to the OP- yes, we get goofy around here, especially on weekends. *

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I appreciate the additional information. As always, you have additional history that many of are unaware.

I do have a trivia question for you. What was the SLoBBER C.U.P. and when was it required.

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Jonathon, I hope this satisfies your question.
    We are always eager to help all members. Usually the new members have the 'tough' questions like "What gun should I buy?".

I usually recommend a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19 in blue.
    Hope this also helps.

It's refreshing to get challenging questions for long time members.