What type if handgun should I purchase

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Thetogg, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

I am a new gun enthusiast and want to hear all the advice on what gun I should get for my CCW. My friend has recommended a Glock 27 but I did like the SR9C. I hope to hear advice on some others. I am not new to guns just have not been into handguns so need some advice.

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

My first carry gun was a snub nose .357, if you're new to guns all together or even just new to handguns a revolver is a good place to start

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i hate to sound critical, but you are a new gun enthusiast and you want to carry a pistol? is this correct? first of all i would suggest some time spent shooting and learning before jumping into concealed carry. CC is not just going out and buying a pistol and getting a permit. it's a very serious act of personal security that carries a heavy burden of responsibilty.

the choice of pistol is one of the least and minor details in the decision to CC as far as i am concerned. i think you need to learn a bit more about firearms and about CC before you decide to just make a rash decision to get a pistol and a permit and start carrying one.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Choosing a gun for CCW is a personal thing...what works for me may or may not work for you. Generally speaking either the Glock or Ruger would be a good choice, as would SigSauer, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Colt and a slew of others. What calibers are you looking at, what type of concealment, i.e. belt, inside wasteband, small of the back, ankle, etc.

My advice would be to find a range that rents different guns and calibers, try out a few and see whats feels right. Keep in mind a 9mm Glock may feel and shoot differently than a XD or a Sig 226. Once you narrow down the choices then look at the ease of concealment...a compact Glock will conceal more easily than a Beretta 92...again that depends on your build and holster placement.

Above all make absolutely certain that you are comfortable and confident with the gun before you step out the door, get some training if needed. Do some soul searching and be sure that you are prepared to take a life if the need arises and remember, you own the shot once you pull the trigger.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'd suggest Glock26 instead the 27. They are the same size just different caliber. The 26 is 9mm, less recoil and more rounds. As you said you are new to guns, i thought i'd give you this opinion. To self each own.

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Ill start with i currently carry a sr9c. But spend a good couple months shooting before you strap it to your side. Its a shiny paper weight til you know how to use it

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I'll cast another vote for a revolver as a first handgun. Easy to use, very little maintenance required and if one rounf doesn't shoot just pull the trigger again. No jam to clear. A .357 Magnum is a great first revolver because you can shoot .38 Special's to start then move up to the full power .357's as you gain experience.

The SR9C you mention is a great gun as well if you want an auto. Not a Glock fan here myself. Glocks are well made guns with a proven reputation. I just don't shoot them well myself.

Choose the size of your gun based on what you will use it for. A small compact auto or snubby revolver will be a very good conceal gun but a close quarters gun. If you plan on also using it to plink cans at 25 yards and you're a new shooter that isn't going to happen with a snubby.

Once you decide on what you will use the gun for and what size you want try to find a range that rents guns or friends who own them and shoot as many as you can. Then select your gun based on your experience. A gun I love you might hate and a gun you love I might hate. I will use Glock again for this example. I do not shoot them well and have no use for them. I will never own a Glock. However, millions of Police Officers hit the street every day trusting their Glock to save their life. Many competition target shooters choose Glock and will shoot a 2" group at 25 yards or more. Glocks are well made, accurate guns. I just don't care for them.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

What axxe said- Hear the same question more & more & never fails to scare the hell out of me :(

9. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

I have a couple of shot guns. I have shot plenty of guns in my day. I meant I have not been into guns as much as I have recently so that is why I used the word enthusiast.

10. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

I am not new to guns I just don't know a lot about handguns. I have shot a lot of guns in my day. I just used the word enthusiast because I have not been into handguns as I have been recently in the last year. I have shot a few handguns in the last year and wanted to get some advice on what gun to purchase for a CC.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

PLEASE: Read this before you decide to carry! - cane

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great minds Winds! [​IMG]

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sorry but none of that leads me to believe you are even close to being ready to carry a firearm concealed :(
    Especially the quote in bold----Just my 2 bits

15. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

Great advice, I will read over this. I do understand the implications of carrying a handgun and I know the responsibilities of it. I have had training with my local police department and went through 2 classes already. I am just confused about the type of Handgun I should purchase. I never make rash decision I never have.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Me thinks thou dost protest too loudly.

I presume, from your post that you came here for counsel. The good folks here at the FTF have given you sage advice. Not knowing much about you, we are always going to default to the answer that protects the unknown.

Maybe you could hop over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

17. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

I never said out right that I was going to purchase the gun and immediately start carrying, because that would not be a great idea only in the fact of my inexperience. I just needed advice on what gun would be comfortable to do so. I am a responsible person so thank you for the advice. I don't mean to be a ass but I don't need to be schooled like a child on why you don't think I should be carrying a firearm. In all fairness you don't know me.

18. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Exactly we don't know you. Go introduce yourself :) but...i still think the sr9c is a good choice

ForumRunner_20120722_153700.jpg

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i never said you shouldn't get a permit or to not CC, but that some time shooting, practicing and learning about the decision and the responsibilty that caarying entails are things you need to take into consideration. shooting guns as a leisure activity or sport is way different than carrying a pistol everyday in the way of personal protection.

and i will say it again the pistol of choice is one of the least and minor details in the overall picture when it comes to CC. as far as i am concerned, that's putting the cart before the horse. carrying everyday concealed means a whole different mindset that not carrying. this is decision that should never be decided without much honest personal reflection and understanding the responsibilty it carries. personally, i wish there were more people carrying concealed, but only if they are safety minded and responsible. IMO, i just don't think yoy are ready to make the plunge into CC, but that's my personal opinion. i am not trying to discourage or stop you from CC, i just don't think you're ready yet and would like for you to get some more time in shooting and learning about CC before doing it.

20. Thetogg

Thetogg New Member

I already have my CC, I have had it for 9 months now. You shouldn't jump to conclusions.