What TV was like before 600 channels

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Any of this familiar to you guys? This is what I grew up watching after school.
    Anybody else remember these programs?
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/Njs9NuDopC4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfotdZCguk[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

When i was a kid we only had 6 channels, and i had to get up and manually change the channel

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I remember our first tv ... a huge wooden console tv weighing about 400lbs (good luck stealing one of those babies :p )

it did NOT have remote and when our family first got cable, we had to get up and change the channel manually at the box :eek: All I really remember are the basic channels and some HBO. Outside of that most of my time was spent outdoors - sports ... or causing mischief :D

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We had UHF and VHF. We also had foil on the antennas to get reception.

5. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Do you mean in the days when there were only 3 channels? It was ok, but, that was all we knew

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Growing up a Boonie boy, we had 3 channels on our 17" B&W on a good day, none after the snow would rip down the antenna. Watching TV wasnt a normal past time, it was a very tiny part of the week that was highly limited by Mom and my evil sister! Because of that, I spent most of my free time in the woods, fields and streams instead of eating junk food in front of the boob tube.

Ironically, my career as an Electronics Technician came from a TV Shop after a four year stint in the "Regular Army" in the mid 80's. We had cable and at least 10 tvs running around us at all times, still wasnt impressed. Im still more interested in the insides of a TV than the outside, even with 600 channels of crap on the Dish I still watch the same 3 or 4 channels to put me to sleep: History, TLC, Science and occasionally Sci-Fi.

My favorites back in the day, Welcome Back Cotter, Mash, All in the Family, Maude, Monster Movie Matinee and Good Times. Today- Pickers, Pawn Stars, River Monsters, Swampers and How things are made.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thanks, Vincine, for the montage of great memories. WOR-TV (channel 9) was another favorite then when I grew up in New York City.
    And the Late Show; the Late, Late Show; and The Late, Late, Late Show on CBS-TV after midnight. :)

8. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

As a child I remember coming home from school and watching ultra man and speed racer

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

'Million Dollar Movie'. The same movie every weekday evening and all day long on Saturday, or was it Sunday. Just like some of the cable channels.

'The Crawling Eye' & 'The Giant Behemoth' were shown regularly.

10. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I remember 4 channels The big 3 (NBC, ABC & CBS) & then if you worked the rabbit ears right on a good day we got a UHF channel. Like Zombie Girl we would use tin foil on the rabbit ears to try & get better reception.

I remember the weekends. Saturday at my grandmothers watching Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk & Laugh In & others. On Sunday it was Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (who didn't love big Jim Fowler?) & then The Wonderful World of Disney.

Sometimes on Monday nights my dad might let me stay up & watch Combat!

11. opaww

opaww New Member

I never seen a T.V. until 1957, now of all the inventions in the world I wish T.V. had never come about.

12. 25-5

25-5 New Member

In the beginning, of TV, the parents had control of what was watched. A lot of Milton Berle. Some will need to google him. Once in a while some cartoons and Howdy Doody. Google him too!

13. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

opaww I guess you heard War of the Worlds on Radio then ???.....That would of been scary to hear on the radio back then....:eek:......

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Parents should still have control and watch what they want. There's too many spoiled kids out there. What part of Chicago are you from?

15. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

In Abilene, Tx, we had 2 (ABC & NBC). If I remember right, we got CBS out of San Angelo, Tx.

16. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Our first TV had one of those round screens, constantly rolled or had snow but at the time, it was a wonder. These days Gunsmoke is still one of my favorite shows and the older b&w shows are the best. I DVR it off of Encore Westerns. Some of the newer one run on TV Land too. Not saying it takes me back, but then again those times were a lot simpler...

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Didn't have TV when I was growing up. One of the ways my folks punished me when I did something wrong was make me stay in the house. My best friend had TV at his house, but we had no interest in watching it.

Later, after I was married, we got one with rabbit ear antenna & I think we got 2 or 3 channels. What I remember about programing then, compared to now, was that comedies were funny & other shows actually had a story line & a plot, unlike the bilge water they try to feed us today. Also, a one hour program had a total of about 8-9 minutes of commercials whereas today it's 20+ minutes, plus the content of the commercials is to the point of insulting a person's intelligence.

Needless to say, even with 600 channels & being retired, I watch a lot less TV today than I did years ago. The only reason I care for cable is for the high speed internet, but my wife watches it much more than I do so we'd likely have it anyway even if I didn't use a computer. :)

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I used to tell my son when he was younger that, "When I was your age, I had to WALK to the TV to change channels! BOTH ways!"

19. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Norridge
    NW of where bho was a well known gangster.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

we were lucky to get three stations and not always very clear either. now my father did have a remote control for the tv, it was either my brother or me. get up and change the channel son!