what to use to help with the glare on the scope lens

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by purehavoc, Nov 22, 2011.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bought myself a new .223 and used a older 40mm bushnell scope I had in the closet if the light hits it right it has one hell of a glare , Coyotes around here see that and run , UIs there anything I can use to help cut the glare ? I tried a small piece of panty hose pulled tight over the scope with a end cap on it but you really loose color and sight picture , to me it wont work well out to 200 yards as I had trouble seeing much past 50 yards with it on there , is there certain colors that work better than others ? I used a flesh tone , Is there a different material that works better
    Thanks
    PH

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

those honeycomb ards work well as do longer but cheaper sunshades.

Anti Reflection Device (ARD)

[​IMG]

Sunshade

[​IMG]

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ah- you have discovered the "Black Hole"- the feature most difficult for a sniper to conceal. The shades he showed you up there ^^^ can cut some of the glare. Sun at your back helps.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive seen guys at the range duct taping cardboard tubes to the ends of the scope...

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Anyone know what sunshade will fit a 40mm bushnell banner ?

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would suggest giving bushnell a call. if your objective is threaded they should be able to help you find a shade for it.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Jon ,
    due to the high volume of calls I have been on hold for 30 minutes :( .
    Anyone know if the elite sunshade will fit the Banner 6-24X40mm ? if so I will just order one .
    Thanks
    PH

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I had the same problem with Leupold yesterday and finally gave up. 'tis the season, but I'll sure look at Leupold differently from now on.

If I were you, I would just gut out the thirty minutes and not take the chance of ordering something that doesn't fit. I really doubt that anyone here can tell you unequivocally that the Elite sunshade will fit.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Question: is the inside of the objective threaded so it can even receive a sunshade?

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

from a quick googling it seems bushnell uses a couple different thread pitches :/ kinda retarded. so stay on the line with em.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yes it is.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

after 45 min I finally gave up will try again early tomorrow morning

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

send em an email tonite cant hurt. a gunsmith may be able to tell ya what thread pitch it is and recomend a aftermarket shade

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I sent Leupold an email yesterday morning, before I started calling. Still no reply....:mad:.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah they are a little slow to respond to email. they get a LOT.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have sent them an email , so I will let ya all know what they say , hopefully soon than later

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm sure they do. They should learn how to react to their business conditions, though, and hire someone to do nothing but respond to emails. If they already have someone doing that, they should add another if business is so good.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Well I got ahold of bushnell this fine morning only to be on hold for about 30 seconds to find out that they do not have a sunshade available for the 6-24-40 banner :(
    Guess I will have to figure out what threads it has and try to find something else to work on it . Guess I will be visiting all the local gun shows soon
    and if all else fails I will be resorting to the great toilet paper tube LOL

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011