What to get...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Junior966, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Sitting out front of my gun shop waiting for them to open and still undecided what to get

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Any 1911.

And my choice would be a Colt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

What do you want to do with it? Sport shoot? Self defense? Target? Any caliber strike your fancy?

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My advice is to just start handling guns. Caliber will need to be what you choose first.when handling,feel the grip and see how it feels to you,see if you like the design, pay attention to the weight and balance. If the shop has a large variety of handguns,it shouldnt take you very long to decide.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

It's a gun shop man; you aren't there to buy pancakes. Buy a firearm!

Knowing nothing other than you want a firearm and that you posted in the semi-auto handgun section, i would recommend one of the Springfield XD's. They are relatively simple to use and mine has been very reliable. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but there is something comforting about the weight & size of a .45ACP projectile.

If you need something on the less expensive side, try one of the Ruger Pseries pistols.

Alternatively, you could find a better match for your needs and hand fit by trying some at a range.

6. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

I have 23 already and 3 are Colts...Gov. issue 1911 , Combat Comander and Delta Elite...Have everything from .22 's to .44 mags...Ohhh and 6 Sigs , 3 Berretta's , 2 Rugers , 1 Smith , 2 Glocks ...The rest are revolvers

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Walk in with your eyes closed, spin around three times, buy the first gun you see when you open your eyes.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

What about some black powder? I have a single-shot sidelock 50 caliber pistol that i LOVE to plink with.

9. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

I think I could get into black powder ...I know this is semi auto hand guns so I don't want a slap on the wrist from Dan the forum police :) but I've never had and always wanted a over n under for sporting clays...

10. orangello

orangello New Member

The over/unders always seem too rich for my blood, but that is probably due to a lack of bird hunting down here.

The black powder thing can be fun and relatively inexpensive. The lil sidelock pistol was under $200; so was the Remington revolver replica i bought. I have yet to go shoot that somebody didn't want to try it out, and i usually shoot at friends land or relatively isolated spots. There is something cool about a single-action revolver with a barrel over seven inches long. Also, no FFL hassles to deal with, though shipping caps is not cheap.

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

How bout an over n under shotgun........oops.... this is a semi hand gun thread. How bout an 1858 Remington revolver.. ;)

12. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

I have a Ruger single 6 .22 I love to shoot...I love the old Western style firearms and I love lever actions...Have a Winchester .30/.30 and a Marlin .35...As far as cost yeah the over n unders are not cheap for a nice one...My Benelli was 1400 so I don't mind saving for what I want

13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like the old western guns also. Just recently getting into black powder. Bought a 1858 Remmy for Christmas, and now I'm hooked. Done bought 5 more bp hand guns. They're kinda addictive.

14. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Guess I'll start doing my homework

15. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Well it seems BP is treated the same as far as permits are concerned here in lovely NJ...Guess I shouldn't be surprised considering bb guns need to be registered n sling shots n wrist rockets are illegal

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Seriously, the humidity down this way isn't that bad.

It occurs to me that if you wanted to go really old schoolesque on the bird gun, you could drop some serious coin on something like this: Cabela's: David Pedersoli Black-Powder Double-Barrel Shotgun - 12 Gauge

Of course, i do now see the bit about NY residents checking local restrictions. :rolleyes: Good luck!

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/risultati-ricerca-armi.asp?l=en

17. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

If I had all your money I would just walk in and say " I'll take one of everything and what I like I'll come back and get more of"

18. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Didn't see a Browning Hi-Power listed so it seems pretty obvious to me what you need.