What to get?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Sep 27, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Soon I'll be moving out some of my safe queens (through Hydrashok's store) and this of course will put gun money in my pocket. I already have a nice collection, and every pistol I really need, but I wonder if I should go ahead and get something special.

I expect JD will pop in shortly and tell me to get a Nighthawk and TBH that's a great suggestion. Always wanted a Colt Python (Dad had one) and there are others that might be cool to have as well.

So folks, if you had say $2500 to spend, on a single gun, what would it be - and why?

2. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

A Python would be a great choice, a true classic. Do you like single action wheelguns? You can get a very nice premium grade model 83 from Freedom Arms for around $2000 and have some extra cash left for a nice belt and holster, or a scope (although I would stick with the iron sights).

FREEDOM ARMS INC

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, you can't go getting a Nighthawk. I am the only ranking member around here with a Nighthawk and I can't have you jumping on board the bandwagon and mucking that up. :cool:

Lately I have been coveting a S&W Model 629 Stealth Hunter from the Performance Center. It's really a nice looking revolver and I don't have a revolver.

However, if I were going to be looking at a Nighthawk 1911, I would be looking at adding The Enforcer to my lineup and I would be getting in touch with George from Michigan Gunslingers to get the best overall price. ;)

JD

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Some spiffy recommendations guys. No, I'm not an SA revolver fan as they don't do much for me. I had a 629 and it was just to expensive to shoot as I don't reload. Getting a Nighthawk to be on the same dimensional plane as JD is tempting...

6. CA357

If it's a 1911 you're lusting after, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special is a great one and you'd have plenty of dough left over for ammunition.

You may also want to consider a Dan Wesson 1911 as well. They are a sleeper, excellent quality and definitely a bargain. ;)

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How about a Wilson Combat 1911. I use to machine the slides and frames where I worked before. TIGHT tolerances.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I had a Dan Wesson Pointman and it was indeed a very well built gun. Right now I'm seriously leaning towards a Springer Loaded long slide which is about $1K and then maybe use the rest of the money for ammo & accessories. I've asked Hydrashok to find me one of these as we certainly need to give him some business...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. CA357

Now that's something that never occurred to me. Interesting thought. :cool:

10. OC357

OC357 New Member

There's your answer. I have one and I love it.

OC

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My Dad had a pair of Pythons that I figured I'd someday inherit. Being in the military, I wasn't home much and my little brother conned Dad out of all of his guns through the years. He sold all of them cheap for beer money - sad, very sad...

12. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Fusion Firearms 10mm 1911 Longslide (STI widebody frame optional)

[​IMG]

13. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I know one can never have enough 1911s, but since you've got a couple, how about JMB's second greatest design? Get a nice customized HP!

Novak and Cylinder & Slide offer some great packages, there's also a place Cane recommended, but I can't find the link.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've had a Hi-Power and they are a very nice gun - hated the trigger though. Sadly, once you've experienced the bliss that is the 1911 - you're ruined for life. I really think I'll go with the Springer long slide I pictured and Hydrashok is looking for one of them for me as we speak. The remaining coin will go towards something...

15. CA357

Well if you have some extra coin laying around I can use some .357 ammunition. ;)

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Well, if you're determined to go all-out, there's plenty of 1911 options. Nighthawk, Wilson, even STI. One new kid on the block that's gotten good early reviews recently is Volkmann Custom. Worth a look I suppose. Same price range as other premium 1911 customs...$2500 give or take.

Anyone have any insight into Volkmann?

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

NGIB already said he made up his mind to go with the loaded springer.

Hope you find one soon!