What to do

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by jimjc, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jimjc

jimjc New Member

I have a 50 year old 1961 Browning Belgium SA22 takedown rifle that has never been shot and it`s been in the family since new....I just looked at it and there are a couple of slight mars in the butt stocks finish, you have to angle them to a light to see them but I would like them to not be there, the stock is very shiny new looking otherwisw.....What do I need to do to repair it or who do you think can repair it.....I hate being a perfectionist but I have to live with it.....Jim

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is the wood dented? If you are thinking of refinish, I would suggest refinishing all wood. It would be difficult to match otherwise.

3. safedman

safedman New Member

try a drop of vinager...if the pores are open they will absorb the vinager and swell to normal. True story. Works well on small dings but not on large

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If that doesn't work, just live with it. The minute you change or refinish anything, you kill its value.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For some deep dents, an iron over a wet cloth will also bring it out, but then you definitely will be refinishing the wood.

6. safedman

safedman New Member

CA357 has it right. Touch the finish and it becomes a family air loom of only centimental value.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

My advice? Leave it alone. I've been restoring firearms for several years. Yours sounds like it needs to go back in it's box or placed behind glass and admired.

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Antique

Mail it to me, Those slight defects won't hurt my feelings one iota.:eek::)

9. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

A gun like that could bring a lot of money to the right collector here in Europe
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE dont touch it.

10. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

A few small marks here and there on an unfired collectible rifle are far less of a turnoff for collectors than a perfect finish, on a 50 year old unfired rifle, that was applied a week ago.

Please take the others advice. Please.